Adams a12 OS Irons Review Thread - Forum Testing

Just posted a review with the link to my review yesterday to the Adams Facebook page.
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...view-Thread-Forum-Testing&p=889190#post889190

I also went to the link you provided JB. It is asking for a rating so I'm going to wait a few days before I do a review there as I haven't played a full 18 with them yet.

Here's some more thoughts on these irons so far:

Initial Impression throughout set:

Looks:

4,5,6 Hybrids - I wouldn't say these are my favorite looking hybrids because of the velocity slot but I'm not about looks, I'm about performance. I'm not the least bit distracted by the slots when I address the ball. The bottom of the hybrids do tend to collect a lot of debris in the crevices and velocity slot but they clean up fairly easily.

Headcovers on the hybrids - These headcovers are very nice and of a good quality but seem hard to remove. I wish Adams would add a little slot that you can grab to help pull them off.

7,8,9,PW,GW - I think the irons look great and instill confidence in me when I set up to them. I'm used to playing thicker soled clubs (G15 irons & HB3 6 iron) so that didn't bother me at all.

The Grafalloy Blue shafts are not marked and just have a sticker decription on there so they're obviously pre-release and not like they will be when released. Mine are "A" flex graphite all through the set. I'm used to playing irons with graphite shafts so am much more comfortable with them.

I have the mid-size Winn V17 grips on my set which are a bit larger than what I would normally use on my clubs. I have been using a men's standard size grip which is a little larger than I was fitted for but use because I have some arthritis in a couple fingers. The larger grips actually feel good to my hands so far. I'm hoping they will work out for me because I really like the softness of this grip.

Performance:

Chipping: I gave the GW & PW a good workout in thick grass and hard pan. They passed the test with flying colors. I recently bought new CG16 wedges including a 50* so I was hesitant about replacing it with the GW in this set. So far the GW has performed excellent in practice and on the course. I have no hesitations in using it at all. Very confident with it!

Hybirds: Wow! I've hit some beauties with these things. They are especially good for me off the tee. I find that they are very straight and longer than expected. I was having a problem with drawing the ball too much with my Mashie but haven't found that to be a problem at all with this club. The ball flight is high and penetrating and the ball just lands softly. I was easily hitting greens with these on my practice run.

Irons: I'm finding the irons to be very high launching and a little longer than my Ping G15 irons. I believe they are about 1* stronger in loft than my Pings assuming they are the same loft as the a7 OS. I've hit some great shots and some chunky shots in my testing but I just haven't had a lot of time with them yet. I tend to struggle with irons from time to time so I think this is just an adjustment period for me. I do know when I hit it solid I am getting great results, especially with dispersion. Very accurate!

I'm feeling really positive about these clubs. Too early yet to tell if they will kick my Pings/Mashies to the curb but I would say at this point it is a possibility that at least the hybrids will.

Last edited:
Kelly, love your thoughts on these so far and its your comments on the hybrids that keep piquing my interest on them! lol

I know what you mean about the drawing situation with the Mashies as that's why mine got the axe, good to hear these aren't that way. Also good to hear you've been enjoying the accuracy the set has, can't wait to keep reading more KB!

Testers - Adams has officially added this set to their website at the link below. When you get a chance please add a small review there and provide an explanation or link as to where they can read the rest of your reviews.

http://adamsgolf.com/products/irons/a12os.php

Just submitted a preview and added the THP link. Thanks JB!

Just posted a review with the link to my review yesterday to the Adams Facebook page. http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?24825-Adams-a12-OS-Irons-Review-Thread-Forum-Testing&p=889190#post889190

I also went to the link you provided JB. It is asking for a rating so I'm going to wait a few days before I do a review there as I haven't played a full 18 with them yet.

Looks:

4,5,6 Hybrids - I wouldn't say these are my favorite looking hybrids because of the velocity slot but I'm not about looks, I'm about performance. I'm not the least bit distracted by the slots when I address the ball. The bottom of the hybrids do tend to collect a lot of debris in the crevices and slot velocity but they clean up fairly easily.

Headcovers on the hybrids - These headcovers are very nice and of a good quality but seem hard to remove. I wish Adams would add a little slot that you can grab to help pull them off.

7,8,9,PW,GW - I think the irons look great and instill confidence in me when I set up to them. I'm used to playing thicker soled clubs (G15 irons & HB3 6 iron) so that didn't bother me at all.

The Grafalloy Blue shafts are not marked and just have a sticker decription on there so they're obviously pre-release and not like they will be when released. Mine are "A" flex graphite all through the set. I'm used to playing irons with graphite shafts so am much more comfortable with them.

I have the mid-size Winn A17 grips on my set which are a bit larger than what I would normally use on my clubs. I have been using a men's standard size grip which is a little larger than I was fitted for but use because I have some arthritis in a couple fingers. The larger grips actually feel good to my hands so far. I'm hoping they will work out for me because I really like the softness of this grip.

Performance:

Chipping: I gave the GW & PW a good workout in thick grass and hard pan. They passed the test with flying colors. I recently bought new CG16 wedges including a 50* so I was hesitant about replacing it with the GW in this set. So far the GW has performed excellent in practice and on the course. I have no hesitations in using it at all. Very confident with it!

Hybirds: Wow! I've hit some beauties with these things. They are especially good for me off the tee. I find that they are very straight and longer than expected. I was having a problem with drawing the ball too much with my Mashie but haven't found that to be a problem at all with this club. The ball flight is high and penetrating and the ball just lands softly. I was easily hitting greens with these on my practice run.

Irons: I'm finding the irons to be very high launching and a little longer than my Ping G15 irons. I believe they are about 1* stronger in loft than my Pings assuming they are the same loft as the A7 OS. I've hit some great shots and some chunky shots in my testing but I just haven't had a lot of time with them yet. I tend to struggle with irons from time to time so I think this is just an adjustment period for me. I do know when I hit it solid I am getting great results, especially with dispersion. Very accurate!

I'm feeling really positive about these clubs. Too early yet to tell if they will kick my Pings/Mashies to the curb but I would say at this point it is a possibility that at least the hybrids will.

Nice review Kelly. As we know Adams is legendary for thier hybrids and I'm glad to hear that they didn't sacrifice any quality in this set. On the headcovers I know several people who have had this complaint on the Adams hybrid headcovers for a long time. I don't know why they don't address this. I look forward to your thoughts after playing a few rounds. My wife is talking about taking up golf and this set may be a good starting point for her.

Nice job Kelly, loved hearing your thoughts here and can't wait to hear more.

Tap,Tap,Tap

Visited the link JB provided, review left.

tapping and talking from Tapatalk

Just posted a review with the link to my review yesterday to the Adams Facebook page. http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?24825-Adams-a12-OS-Irons-Review-Thread-Forum-Testing&p=889190#post889190

Looks:

4,5,6 Hybrids - I wouldn't say these are my favorite looking hybrids because of the velocity slot but I'm not about looks, I'm about performance. I'm not the least bit distracted by the slots when I address the ball. The bottom of the hybrids do tend to collect a lot of debris in the crevices and slot velocity but they clean up fairly easily.

I have the mid-size Winn A17 grips on my set which are a bit larger than what I would normally use on my clubs. I have been using a men's standard size grip which is a little larger than I was fitted for but use because I have some arthritis in a couple fingers. The larger grips actually feel good to my hands so far. I'm hoping they will work out for me because I really like the softness of this grip.

Performance:

Irons: I'm finding the irons to be very high launching and a little longer than my Ping G15 irons. I believe they are about 1* stronger in loft than my Pings assuming they are the same loft as the A7 OS. I've hit some great shots and some chunky shots in my testing but I just haven't had a lot of time with them yet. I tend to struggle with irons from time to time so I think this is just an adjustment period for me. I do know when I hit it solid I am getting great results, especially with dispersion. Very accurate!

Great write up KB!

When you're missing chunky are you seeing a huge distance loss or are they staying pretty close to your target?

Great write up KB!

When you're missing chunky are you seeing a huge distance loss or are they staying pretty close to your target?

I would say I'm losing 30% distance on average. It has only happened when I have a really tight lie. My second shots from the same lie have been great though. I just need to hit the ball first. Easier said than done sometimes. Fluffy grass has been great.

I would say I'm losing 30% distance on average. It has only happened when I have a really tight lie. My second shots from the same lie have been great though. I just need to hit the ball first. Easier said than done sometimes. Fluffy grass has been great.

Thats pretty good right there KB! I was actually feeling the opposite. The fluffier lies were harder for me. There may have been a complete whiff on one shot haha.

Testers - Adams has officially added this set to their website at the link below. When you get a chance please add a small review there and provide an explanation or link as to where they can read the rest of your reviews.

http://adamsgolf.com/products/irons/a12os.php
I got my review in. It was a little hard to do on the phone but I got it done. Thanks for the link

Thats pretty good right there KB! I was actually feeling the opposite. The fluffier lies were harder for me. There may have been a complete whiff on one shot haha.

I was really hoping these clubs would fix our swing flaws. I'm still trying to find one that will.:act-up:

I am seeing the same issue off hard ground. I am working the same hit the ball first. I figure a few range sessions and I will have it hashed out

I was really hoping these clubs would fix our swing flaws. I'm still trying to find one that will.:act-up:

Haha, one day :) I'm really excited to get these back on the course. All of the videos and reviews just have me pumped!

Nice videos spank!

I am going to skip playing today (it's probably going to rain anyway) and instead take these to GolfMD to get them fit to me. The fitting is $25 since they are just going to be adjusting the lie of these clubs to me. If they need to shorten or lengthen the shaft, it its $3.50 per club. I will be getting them back tomorrow afternoon.

I am going to skip playing today (it's probably going to rain anyway) and instead take these to GolfMD to get them fit to me. The fitting is $25 since they are just going to be adjusting the lie of these clubs to me. If they need to shorten or lengthen the shaft, it its $3.50 per club. I will be getting them back tomorrow afternoon.

Wow what a deal SV. Does the 25 cover adjustments or is there a fee for this per club?

Wow what a deal SV. Does the 25 cover adjustments or is there a fee for this per club?
I am thinking this is a one time deal. But I don't know.

I am thinking this is a one time deal. But I don't know.

Sorry should have clarified. Does it cover the cost to adjust the clubs. Like if you need them 1 degree flat does he charge you just the 25 or is there a fee to make the clubs 1 degree flat. I know some places charge like 5 bucks a club to change the lie.

I was just looking at the specs for these clubs and I'm going to have them adjust at some point to match may Razr X's... But not until after I do alittle experiment. For those wondering here are the specs..

http://www.adamsgolf.com/products/irons/a12os.php#

217º58.5º41.25”D1RA R S
319º59.25º40.5”D1R LA R S
422º60º39.75”D1R LA R S
525º60.75º39”D1R LA R S
628º61.25º38.25”D1R LA R S
732º62.25º37.5”D1R LA R S
836º63º36.75”D1R LA R S
940º63.75º36”D1R LA R S
PW44º64º35.75”D2R LA R S
GW49º64º35.5”D2R LA R S
SW54º64º35.5”D3R LA R S
LW59º64º35.25”D3R LA R S

ModelLoftLieLengthSW HandFlex

Sorry should have clarified. Does it cover the cost to adjust the clubs. Like if you need them 1 degree flat does he charge you just the 25 or is there a fee to make the clubs 1 degree flat. I know some places charge like 5 bucks a club to change the lie.

The way I understand it, it costs $25 for checking me and bending the clubs. It's $3.50 per club extra if they have to do anything to the shaft.

I went over to the Edwin Watts store in Macon this morning to see about buying graphite shaft extensions for my clubs and the salesman told me he could not sell them to me, however they could install them, but I would have to leave the clubs overnight, so they have not been extended as yet. I will order the extensions today from GolfSmith and do it myself next week. I have done it before with drivers and FW woods so it will be no problem.

I saw JB's post with the link to the Adams site with the a12OS irons listed. I had posted a review from my phone on the Adams website, but I am not seeing any up right now, I guess they aren't live with the review sections as yet. Now that I am home I decided to compare the specs and shaft lengths to the Mizuno MX-300's I was gaming. I will post the following as a spoiler to save room on the page.

Spoiler
IDEA a12 os
# loft lie length
3 19º 59.25º 40.5”
4 22º 60º 39.75”
5 25º 60.75º 39”
6 28º 61.25º 38.25”
7 32º 62.25º 37.5”
8 36º 63º 36.75”
9 40º 63.75º 36”
PW 44º 64º 35.75”
GW 49º 64º 35.5”

Mizuno MX-300
# loft lie length
3I 20° 59.5° 38.75"
4I 23° 60.0° 38.25"
5I 26° 60.5° 37.75"
6I 29° 61.0° 37.25"
7I 33° 61.5° 36.75"
8I 37° 62.0° 36.25"
9I 41° 62.5° 35.75"
PW 45° 63.0° 35.50"
GW 50° 63.0° 35.25"

I have posted my concern over the length of the irons especially the shorter irons, if you look at the above chart and compare the 9 thru PW, they are 3/4" shorter than the Mizuno's that I play at +1", the 8 and 7 are only 1/2" and 1/4" shorter respectively, the other irons actually become longer at the 6 hybrid but then I have not compared them to my previous hybrids. I said that I could play these clubs as is but really want to modify the 9, PW & GW, now I know why. I now need to decide if I want to modify just 3 clubs or the entire set, I probably will go with the entire set, with the exception of the hybrids.

This picture shows what I am speaking about in the length, the 9 irons are compared 1st, the 5 irons in the middle and the 7 irons next. You are able to see how rapidly the clubs go from fairly shorter to fairly longer. Pretty interesting.

Spoiler
P9161554.jpg

The next two pics show the wear after 3 full rounds and a range session of 75 to 80 balls, I chose the 7 iron because it quickly became my favorite club in the set after the 4h, and I did not wish to hit the 4h a lot on the range. I used the 7 for a lot of shots as during the testing I was working mainly on my tempo, and now affter seeing the specs it was the closest in length to what I had been playing among the irons. The pictures are not great in quality, but I think you can see the sole is wearing fairly evenly and the hitting area is showing very little wear, there is more bag chatter on the polished areas than wear in the grooves.

Spoiler
P9161557.jpg

P9161558.jpg

More to follow tomorrow after playing with Mrs GreyBush and MaryC.

Great pics Dawg. Im gonna admit im a little jeliouse of the graphics on your shafts. Mine came blank and it doesnt bother me but when i try to explain to people that they are prolaunch shafts they never take my word for it.

I know what you mean nick, the shafts really look nice with the graphics on them, I was unaware about company's not having them on some of their prerelease clubs until you guys started mentioning it and posting pics. JB said it is a fairly common practice, I probably would have never known had I not stumbled onto THP.

Back