Am I being overly sensitive here?

Kyle76

Reaction score
Handicap
Northward
On an East Carolina University sports board, there was a discussion of Harold Varner III's earnings in the QBE Shootout this past weekend. One board member posted the following: "Suuweet! Love that money! Nothin like getting paid for beatin on whitey!" I found the post offensive, particularly since Varner is one of only two African Americans on tour, and I said something about it. The poster angrily replied back that he was talking about golf balls and there was nothing offensive at all about his post. In my opinion, "beatin up on whitey" is, at best, a racially tinged double entendre that I doubt anyone would use around Varner, Tiger Woods or any other black person he didn't know. Was my response inappropriate?

even if it was about golf balls, its in poor taste because of the context it was used in. People are dumb

Racism happens on all sides.

On an East Carolina University sports board, there was a discussion of Harold Varner III's earnings in the QBE Shootout this past weekend. One board member posted the following: "Suuweet! Love that money! Nothin like getting paid for beatin on whitey!" I found the post offensive, particularly since Varner is one of only two African Americans on tour, and I said something about it. The poster angrily replied back that he was talking about golf balls and there was nothing offensive at all about his post. In my opinion, "beatin up on whitey" is, at best, a racially tinged double entendre that I doubt anyone would use around Varner, Tiger Woods or any other black person he didn't know. Was my response inappropriate?
Not something I would say, also something that I wouldn't let ruin my day.

I think the person knew exactly what they were doing/saying.
The person had their "out" ready for anyone that called them out on the post.

I think it was good that you said something.

yes, it's offensive. no, they weren't talking about the golf balls. should you be offended? that's up to you.

whitey = golf balls. That's just dumb.

Yes it's offensive. Thanks for calling it out. Racism is racism no matter how they try to explain it away.

Nothin like getting paid for beatin on whitey!" I found the post offensive, particularly since Varner is one of only two African Americans on tour, and I said something about it. Was my response inappropriate?

Yes, make the troll accountable. Guys who are lost make excuses. His response was a defensive excuse and went after you - he is an a-hole for doing so.

I think its overly sensitive

Yes it was offensive. Good for you for doing something about it.

The board member/poster lied. Just ignore him.

even if it was about golf balls, its in poor taste because of the context it was used in. People are dumb

I agree with the 'people are dumb' sentiment. Either intentionally playing dumb or totally oblivious to the world around them.

Teach them to love by loving them.

Not a very well thought out response. I don't know how anyone would automatically assume that whitey was the golf ball. I know what I thought he meant and I am sure most people would think the same. Its sad to some extent since he may not have meant it that way but people lose their jobs over this stuff these days so they should be more careful.

It was offensive, and he/she was not referring to golf balls. The internet is loaded with sub-human toxicity. I'm waiting for the app that allows you to put your fist thru someone's screen. Call me Doctor Strange.

I don't think you were being sensitive per se, but you were calling out dumb comments when you saw it. More than likely he was trying to be funny and irreverent.

I've never heard of a golf ball referred to as "whitey"

sounds like he needs his bell rung, hey I'm talking about pressing the button on his doorbell!

Yeah I’ve heard the term before and never thought anything of it. This isn’t to say the guy that posted didn’t have ill intent. But I have heard the term.

Yeah I’ve heard the term before and never thought anything of it. This isn’t to say the guy that posted didn’t have ill intent. But I have heard the term.

Im asking this genuinely because you are a friend, but you really have heard that and not thought anything of it?
Could you imagine if someone said that about their darker finished irons?

Im asking this genuinely because you are a friend, but you really have heard that and not thought anything of it?

It was said by my best man how is white as he was walking out to play. We were always saying off the wall stuff like that. My buddy Eddie heard him say it and would then say it from time to time. We’d laugh and play golf. I honestly looked at as a guy thing. It wasn’t til I read this guys comment that I attached it to race.

Definitely an ignorant comment that was made in very poor taste. A golf ball would be the furtherest thought from any even remotely reasonable person's mind when reading that comment.

1- the person making the whitey post was being stupid. Online you can’t tell nuance so have to read as written, which in this case is definitely racist against people of Northern European descent.
2- imo unless a personal attack, offence is always a choice of the offended.
3- until racism is to such a minority that any overt racism immediately ruins your life regardless of where you live, I have no problem with PoC doing any racism that isn’t violent...pretty much. Not acceptable, but I understand it and forgive easily (not that they should give AF what I think).

If it were me I’d roll my eyes and move on, assuming that they were trying to make a joke. If comments were persistent I’d call it out. Not because I’d be offended but bc I wouldn’t want anybody reading the board to think it was acceptable behaviour. So I’d say well done for calling it out, though unless they are persistent I think you should just forget it now.

my honest question is would two whites guys going to play a course predominantly played by white people ever make this “joke?” i don’t think so. i think once a person of color comes into the situation in any form, the whitey thing might come up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back