Amazon Kindle Fire

This is a female's decision boys, she can choose which one she wants. She'll also be using her tablet for her work and the iPad can support more of the types of things that she does (according to her).

The class leader is that for a reason.

Even though the streaming wouldn't work for me (stupid Canada) I still want one of these bad boys.

You can load your own movies and music on it and use them right? Would make a perfect traveling tablet I think.

Even though the streaming wouldn't work for me (stupid Canada) I still want one of these bad boys.

You can load your own movies and music on it and use them right? Would make a perfect traveling tablet I think.

Sure can. I have TV shows loaded it on it now.

Jb, is the tv streaming/on demand for recent shows?

Like, for example, if i missed something on Monday, does Prime offer streaming for the big networks?

Jb, is the tv streaming/on demand for recent shows?

Like, for example, if i missed something on Monday, does Prime offer streaming for the big networks?

Not that I have seen. You can buy/rent those shows as you can from places like ITunes, but the free Prime stuff is not as current.

Not that I have seen. You can buy/rent those shows as you can from places like ITunes, but the free Prime stuff is not as current.

You can get stuff off iTunes for the Kindle Fire?

You can get stuff off iTunes for the Kindle Fire?

No, I was relating getting current shows on Amazon, just as someone could with ITunes for an IPad since I believe WE uses one.

Ok, was curious as to how quick Prime had newer shows available for the Fire, as iTunes can get laggy on that.

On a related note, I found out our company ordered The Kindle Fire for all of our Business Offices staff. Hoping i can grab one!

Ok, was curious as to how quick Prime had newer shows available for the Fire, as iTunes can get laggy on that.

On a related note, I found out our company ordered The Kindle Fire for all of our Business Offices staff. Hoping i can grab one!

Amazon has two services for Fire users. They have a video section in which you rent/buy shows and movies and then they have Prime, which is completely free streaming coverage. The normal video rental service seems quite quick. Lots of stuff updated daily and I just checked a few shows and they seem to update many same week. Prime is something different in that its not a rental service, but included in the Prime membership and has movies and past TV shows completely free without rental or purchase fees.

Amazon has two services for Fire users. They have a video section in which you rent/buy shows and movies and then they have Prime, which is completely free streaming coverage. The normal video rental service seems quite quick. Lots of stuff updated daily and I just checked a few shows and they seem to update many same week. Prime is something different in that its not a rental service, but included in the Prime membership and has movies and past TV shows completely free without rental or purchase fees.

Right, basically like Netflix streamings + iTunes rentals wrapped in to one.

The Amazon Prime side off things ha made the Fire a very, very attractive tablet.

Right, basically like Netflix streamings + iTunes rentals wrapped in to one.

The Amazon Prime side off things ha made the Fire a very, very attractive tablet.

It did and it started out with relatively little, but the library is growing every single day.

Other than the Prime feature, two things stand out for me after a day of using it. The form factor is what I wanted my Ipad and then my Xoom to be. Smaller so I could type easier on it for me. And the Silk browser is crazy fast. Its as fast as my laptop and far faster than my Xoom and IPad were. And faster so far than GG's IPad 2. The device has its limitations, but none of those have anything to do with what I use a tablet for. So I have no issues there.

Is the size pretty much the same as the first Galaxy tab was? I thought that was a good size for a tablet

Is the size pretty much the same as the first Galaxy tab was? I thought that was a good size for a tablet

I believe it is.

I believe it is.

I remember we had one of those and the Xoom at work for testing I preferred the galaxy because of the size and weight. I really need to check this out

Noob question here, but doesn't one want a tablet that is a bit bigger? I mean, if one wants something to handle like a smart phone, then why not get one of the larger smart phones?

Noob question here, but doesn't one want a tablet that is a bit bigger? I mean, if one wants something to handle like a smart phone, then why not get one of the larger smart phones?

Depends on the person. Some might, some might not. It depends on what you are comfortable with. I like to carry my tablet with me and its easier with a smaller form factor. Add to that I find it easier typing on the smaller unit than that of the larger one. Depends on the person.

Depends on the person. Some might, some might not. It depends on what you are comfortable with. I like to carry my tablet with me and its easier with a smaller form factor. Add to that I find it easier typing on the smaller unit than that of the larger one. Depends on the person.

Yeah, i get that, but to me a tablet is kind of like a laptop per se, and I just figured that the larger screen would be more universally appealing. Options are good to have for sure. So what does this do that one of the larger smart phones cannot?

Yeah, i get that, but to me a tablet is kind of like a laptop per se, and I just figured that the larger screen would be more universally appealing. Options are good to have for sure. So what does this do that one of the larger smart phones cannot?

Reading a book on a 4" phone is awful for me. So is watching video. Yet I want to have my device portable, and find that a 10" screen is not all that portable. 7" screens are the perfect medium for me after having both. As I said, I struggled with typing on the larger tablets, I prefer the smaller. I dont think of my tablet as a laptop. Its a crossover platform that is not going to replace my laptop and its not going to replace my phone. Just a different device for convenience. Add to that, the cost comparison and its the perfect fit for me. It might not be for others, but for me, its the perfect fit after having each one.

Reading a book on a 4" phone is awful for me. So is watching video. Yet I want to have my device portable, and find that a 10" screen is not all that portable. 7" screens are the perfect medium for me after having both. As I said, I struggled with typing on the larger tablets, I prefer the smaller. I dont think of my tablet as a laptop. Its a crossover platform that is not going to replace my laptop and its not going to replace my phone. Just a different device for convenience. Add to that, the cost comparison and its the perfect fit for me. It might not be for others, but for me, its the perfect fit after having each one.

I get that. Dude, the price of this sucker has me as far as Xmas goes. I just don't know if it can overcome the marketing and stigma of the competition.

I get that. Dude, the price of this sucker has me as far as Xmas goes. I just don't know if it can overcome the marketing and stigma of the competition.

As a consumer, I dont care about that stuff. I just want the device to work well for me...Which this does. Based on pre-orders and projected sales, I believe this unit will do just fine.

As a consumer, I dont care about that stuff. I just want the device to work well for me...Which this does. Based on pre-orders and projected sales, I believe this unit will do just fine.

I didn't mean on the whole, I meant in the mind of she who rules the house. I've tried telling her to dig more info up about this unit but I think she keeps relating Kindle to a "reader" only.

I'm kind of in the same boat as you. We would like to get a tablet. We both got Kindles last year, so I'm not sure about ditching that for the Kindle Fire. There are a ton of options out there which is good. We both have iphones so an ipad might be a nice addition. I'm just really unsure which direction we will go in.

I have a hypothetical for you JB. Say Apple comes out with a 7" tablet, retna screen etc etc, more or less the same specs or even a little better then whats out. And to keep it real it cost $100 more. Do you consider it?

I have a hypothetical for you JB. Say Apple comes out with a 7" tablet, retna screen etc etc, more or less the same specs or even a little better then whats out. And to keep it real it cost $100 more. Do you consider it?

Possibly. At this time, I dont see a need to replace the tablet I just got though. Im not the kind of guy that has to replace something just because something new comes out. Its weird in the tech world as it relates to the golf world, but I am the same in golf. My Macbook Pro 17" is 2 years out and as long as the tablet I use works for me, I wont replace it until something else comes out that has a feature I really need, if that makes sense. I like the free Cloud unlimited storage and free streaming videos and love the cost. While I am a Mac user (and have been for over a decade), the cost of their products is downright absurd for me personally and this device that does what I need shows that to me.

I'm kind of in the same boat as you. We would like to get a tablet. We both got Kindles last year, so I'm not sure about ditching that for the Kindle Fire. There are a ton of options out there which is good. We both have iphones so an ipad might be a nice addition. I'm just really unsure which direction we will go in.

That's pretty much where we are dude. Erin's just always wanted an iPad for some odd reason. She looked at some Samsung tablet yesterday that she said she liked. I don't know what it was though.

Back