Anti-Adjustability

Caper

Reaction score
Handicap
So I am probably getting a new driver in the next couple of days since I am going somewhere I can test clubs. I have had an R7 CGB Max and now have an R11. The last time I had a driver that wasn't adjustable was about 6 years ago. The next one I am getting is definitely not going to be adjustable...I think.

I loved the R11 last year for that reason - that I could fiddle with it. Well the novelty has worn off for me and now it is a hinderance to my game. I find myself tinkering with the club almost every time I hit a bad drive, whether it had to do with the settings, or, 99% of the time the poor swing. It is seriously like an addiction. I just keep changing the settings, and my swing to match. I am at a point where I seriously don't know what the hell to do when I stand over the ball.

I am looking at the G20, Classic 290, Speedline 9064LS/Fast 12 Razr X Black, and CG Black.

I know I will be tempted to swing an adjustable, but I really don't want to.

Anyone feel the same way or is it just me?

So I am probably getting a new driver in the next couple of days since I am going somewhere I can test clubs. I have had an R7 CGB Max and now have an R11. The last time I had a driver that wasn't adjustable was about 6 years ago. The next one I am getting is definitely not going to be adjustable...I think.

I loved the R11 last year for that reason - that I could fiddle with it. Well the novelty has worn off for me and now it is a hinderance to my game. I find myself tinkering with the club almost every time I hit a bad drive, whether it had to do with the settings, or, 99% of the time the poor swing. It is seriously like an addiction. I just keep changing the settings, and my swing to match. I am at a point where I seriously don't know what the hell to do when I stand over the ball.

I am looking at the G20, Classic 290, Speedline 9064LS/Fast 12 Razr X Black, and CG Black.

I've always viewed the adjustability thing as a fitting tool more than anything else. Never being fit for one, every adjustable driver that I've ever owned has sat at the 'neutral' or stock setting for the most part. I fooled around with the settings on my supertri for a bit but that was more of a novelty thing than anything else for me.

when I had the supertri in my bag I couldn't leave it alone. I changed settings on it all the time. Finally I had to hide the wrench so I couldn't make changes. Once I got to that point I was fine.

hiding the wrench is a great idea!!!

I have the Titleist 910 which is adjustable and love it. I also have the non adjustable Cleveland Classic and love it too so I can go either way. Not much help huh? :bulgy-eyes: I do think the adjustable drivers can work very well, for those who know how to fit them properly.

If you can not find a setting that works then leave it and just have to mess with it everytime you hit a bad shot I would go non adjustable. Its more of a fitting tool to get all out of the driver than you possibly can.

I would just pick a setting that hit the furthest for me and adjust my swing, stance etc in order to get the results I wanted. Tinkering with your equipment all the time will mess with your head and consistency.

I am definitely not going the adjustable route. I totally get how they can help most people, but I just feel I will be a better golfer by getting something non-adjustable. I am leaning towards the G20. Everything I have read about it is fantastic. I just don't want to be biased. I am going in saying whatever will hit the most fairways is what I am bagging. distance isn't really important to me, though it would be a bonus. Fairways is #1. I have hit a grand total of 6 fairways in my last 3 rounds!

I am definitely not going the adjustable route. I totally get how they can help most people, but I just feel I will be a better golfer by getting something non-adjustable. I am leaning towards the G20. Everything I have read about it is fantastic. I just don't want to be biased. I am going in saying whatever will hit the most fairways is what I am bagging. distance isn't really important to me, though it would be a bonus. Fairways is #1. I have hit a grand total of 6 fairways in my last 3 rounds!
I would def be going for fairways as well. Hopefully you find one that works best for ya 23.

Just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth.
A non adjustable driver will not make you a better golfer.
A consistent swing with lots of correct practice and play will do that.
I hope you find the right driver for you....whether it's adjustable or not.

This is why I think it will make me better. I change my swing to match the setting instead of the other way around. Wrong, I know, but I can't help it. I will get a more consistent swing not being able to change anything.

I adjust mine all the time.

Great advice here. I have both, I don't adjust them once I find a setting that works. I do wish that I could move weights on all drivers, and I could care less about hosel adjustments.

--
Tapatalk2

I dunno...maybe I am weird...but I played with the settings on my RAZR FIT for about a week...found where I like it and there it's stayed...I haven't touched it in weeks

Lol 23. You're not alone. Nothing wrong with adjustability but the price. I thought I might question the setup after a bad round and didn't want to think about it. in the end though I considered it until I came across a driver I loved at half the price, then decided it wasn't worth the expense.

I just wish adjustable drivers came with some instructions. I'm not even sure if I'm using mine right. Guess I'll have to do some searching some night to read up on it.

I just wish adjustable drivers came with some instructions. I'm not even sure if I'm using mine right. Guess I'll have to do some searching some night to read up on it.

They do, at least everyone I've ever purchased, Nike, Srixon, and R11. You may just have to ask for it plus each website has a diagram showing the adjustments.

--
Tapatalk2

It is good for some but not for all.

I just bought my first adjustable club, a 3 wood. It was set on neutral when I got it and it hasn't budged lol, I hit it well where it's at.

Can I ask how? There are two schools of thought here. The first being that nobody is forcing anybody to adjust or use the feature. I believe it is a huge asset for fitting, especially as swings change for a person. The second being that the adapter does in fact add weight and that has to be made up elsewhere, so I can see a knock on that. But from the regular stand point of purchasing a driver, it makes fitting so much more accessible that its hard to not like what they companies are doing here.

I feel like I pay for the adjustability so I would be ripping myself off if I didn't use it. I don't know. Different state of mind is all. Maybe a bit of OCD lol

They do, at least everyone I've ever purchased, Nike, Srixon, and R11. You may just have to ask for it plus each website has a diagram showing the adjustments.

--
Tapatalk2

What I meant was good instructions. The little booklet tells you how to use the wrench and make the adjustments but doesn't go into any real detail about what each one does and how it might affect the others.

when I had the supertri in my bag I couldn't leave it alone. I changed settings on it all the time. Finally I had to hide the wrench so I couldn't make changes. Once I got to that point I was fine.

I've had the Razr Fit set the same way for a while now. I have played rounds with every setting I could and the way I have it now seems to work the best so far.

That's why I appreciate my Cobra's limited adjustability. I've consciously avoided the manufacturers which a myriad of adjustment options. With the Cobra, all you get is Closed, Neutral, and Open.

What I appreciate most is the option to swap shafts. For that reason, I'll probably never again play a non-adjustable/swap-able driver.

I find a benefit to the settings from shaft to shaft. For example, I love my Nunchuk shaft with the neutral setting. But my Whiteboard 83-x is a hook-machine set to "N." But once I set the clubhead to Open, things straightened out nicely.

I think it can only be good for all. Someone could buy a draw bias driver because they slice, and if they get their swing flaw fixed so they do not slice anymore, then they have to get a new driver. If they have an adjustable driver, once you fix the slice issue, you can set it back to square.

You can also kind of fit yourself by trying different setups. You might find out you need to adjust it from neutral, or you might find that neutral is best. How can that not be good for anyone to know they have it right?

Back