Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
First, no this isn't just b/c of the new "Brewmasters" show lol...but it has pushed my fascination with it.

I love beer, I mean, I love craft beer. There's just so much too it and I've always been amazed by the process and thoughts of homebrewing. I've managed to talk my wife into ok'ing it if I clean and organize the garage, deal I say!

Surely some of you have don or messed around with this in out great lil place here (CG I'm looking at you lol), any tips, experiences, or stories?

Never tried beer Jman, but made a lot of wine years ago. None of it was ever great, but kind of fun to do, lol.

We tried making some on senior year in high school and freshmen year of college, not beer though, we went for the hard stuff. We ended up with some ridiculously strong berries that would make your insides burn and turn your world upside down if you ate or drink to much of the berries/juice. haha good times. I hope you do it Jman, be sure to include pictures!

• Staff
We tried making some on senior year in high school and freshmen year of college, not beer though, we went for the hard stuff. We ended up with some ridiculously strong berries that would make your insides burn and turn your world upside down if you ate or drink to much of the berries/juice. haha good times. I hope you do it Jman, be sure to include pictures!

Haha, I've got pictureds of my great-grandpa's last still (when he was 87 LOL) and I may know of a mason jar still sealed somewhere or another. Its funny because both sides of my family used to run moonshine, some really cool stories passed down. Tried some on a few occasions, and I always hurt afterwards lol.

I really am intrigued by this, If I go through with it, I promise lotsa pics.

Haha, I've got pictureds of my great-grandpa's last still (when he was 87 LOL) and I may know of a mason jar still sealed somewhere or another. Its funny because both sides of my family used to run moonshine, some really cool stories passed down. Tried some on a few occasions, and I always hurt afterwards lol.

Wow, I may have to beg for a recipe, haha. I tried some as a teenager, but couldn't get past the first sip or two.

haha. Do it! I would buy some from you and you could ship it to me. (if thats legal lol)

• Staff
Just for legal clarification I am referring to going through with the homebrew and not the still LMAO!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where's a good place for info on homebrewing and is there a set up anyone would recommend buying?

My buddy does it. First started with one of those plastic kits you keep in your fridge. Now he has a whole Brewery in his garage. He kept all these Skinny Kegs of beer (we call them pony kegs) in his garage organized really well by type. Then one day his wife crashed into the holding section and all these mini kegs came roling out. without any way of testing to see what was inside each keg, we were left with NO CHOICE BUT TO TAP THEM AND HAVE A DRINK.
Best day EVER.:drinks:

You'll proabably want to start with a slightly smaller setup, but the first thing my buddy ended up buying that he didn't expect to buy was another fridge to keep in his Garage. Before the brew you got a lot of ingredients you want to keep fresh. And afterwards you're going to want to keep the beer cold. The whole process takes up more space in your fridge than you'ld expect. If you think there's enough space in your regular fridge be sure to expect an argument from the wife.

I've been brewing for about 20 years on and off. I brew an average of 20-25 gallons a year I think. Mostly IPA's and Bohemian Lager lately. I brew all-grain and have a four corny keg Freezerator. It's a great hobby.

I've been brewing for about 20 years on and off. I brew an average of 20-25 gallons a year I think. Mostly IPA's and Bohemian Lager lately. I brew all-grain and have a four corny keg Freezerator. It's a great hobby.

I don't but spent a couple of hours in a microbrew earlier today & there is a ton of stuff involved. Neat process but I have no clue what any of those tanks does.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I homebrew a few times every year, I use the malt extract kits, I don't have the gear (or time) to do a full mash.

I try to vary things up with the kits, though. Once I did a stout and I added half a pound of chocolate to the boil. I forgot to account for the extra sugar, but in the end it wasn't too bad. Last year I did a firecracker beer - pale American lager with a pound of red hots added to the boil. The color wasn't what I wanted (it was pink) but the taste was fantastic. I went through two cases at one BBQ, everyone loved it.

This is another one of those, man I wish i had some extra time/space hobbies that I would love to do. I love some craft beer and im fascinated by the process of it.

I have not done it in may years but we touched on it a few times in school my chosen profession(winemaker) we use the same little fungus to do a very similar thing

I had the Mr. Beer system and failed miserably. I had a few friends that were big into it and I wish I had more time to learn it at that point in my life. I could see myself getting into it once we move into a house with some room to do It though.

typo's courtesy of Samsung Galaxy S4 autocorrect... Enjoy!

My two brothers home brew quite often, and even enter into a local home brew contest. My brother is converting his detached 2-stall garage into a full electric brewery, complete with a 60" TV on the wall to watch while the beers a brewing. JMan, did you ever get into brewing?

I've done 6 batches now, I love it, I'm biased of course I think it always tastes great but ill drink anything. Its like a grown man science experiment with beer as the end result. Win win for everyone

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I'm a brewing *****. I do almost all Belgians, and grow hops.

I had the Mr. Beer system and failed miserably. I had a few friends that were big into it and I wish I had more time to learn it at that point in my life. I could see myself getting into it once we move into a house with some room to do It though.

I'm the same way - tried the Mr. Beer thing, didn't go well. I might try going to one of the local places that have the commercial setups that you can use to brew, rather than trying to do it in my relatively small kitchen.

I'm the same way - tried the Mr. Beer thing, didn't go well. I might try going to one of the local places that have the commercial setups that you can use to brew, rather than trying to do it in my relatively small kitchen.

I did that when my son was born instead of giving out cigars. Cane out really well. They've since gone out of business.

I had pretty good results with Mr Beer :)

This is another one of those, man I wish i had some extra time/space hobbies that I would love to do. I love some craft beer and im fascinated by the process of it.

You and me both! I have always thought it would be awesome to learn about and try, but after watching all of the processes involved, the time, the space and science involved...I just wasn't sure I'd be able to keep with it. I'm such a hands on learner, that I would want someone to COME and teach me, so I can see it. Reading about it is one thing, but stepping up and actually DOING it, and doing it correctly, is another.

Good luck Jman, and if you need someone to come and help you test the final product, I'm sure Bulldog and I can make a trip or two!

Been Home Brewing for a little over 8 years now. Have a nice all grain system that I built myself. Only do 5 gallon batches at a time right now but upgrading to 10 gallon this spring.

Back