Arccos Golf GPS Stat Tracking System Review

With Android now consisting of the majority of mobile devices, they are alienating a huge block of potential customers who would be interested.

I was trying to wait and see if they started support for android because I don't like the fact that I can't really track my game in real time with Game Golf. I'm tired of waiting, so I ordered the GolfPadGPS NFC tag setup.

They could have had my business, but waited too long.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Guys making apps in their garage are able to make one for both major mobile operating systems. It makes me wonder how well staffed they are and how much they are investing in this product.

My concerns as well. As a new company, they have eliminated 50% of their potential customer base. Another poster made a good point, HS / College kids are developing apps for both OS simultaneously in their garage. The software uses the built in features of the phones (GPS etc...), not necessarily any kind of proprietary code.

Unfortunately, a lot of people out there are Apple Elitists and believe that nothing else can be as good. Although I wouldn't be surprised if they were doing their code on Macs that boot into windows :)

Anyways, I'm doing my best not to attack their Elitist Apple bias.

With Android now consisting of the majority of mobile devices, they are alienating a huge block of potential customers who would be interested.

I was trying to wait and see if they started support for android because I don't like the fact that I can't really track my game in real time with Game Golf. I'm tired of waiting, so I ordered the GolfPadGPS NFC tag setup.

They could have had my business, but waited too long.

I'm in the exact same boat as you bullit. The product looks like it exactly what I need / want, but am tired of waiting. I evaluated the GameGolf system but it didn't quite work for me. This GolfPadGPS NFC thing is new to me. I will have to check it out.

I'm in the exact same boat as you bullit. The product looks like it exactly what I need / want, but am tired of waiting. I evaluated the GameGolf system but it didn't quite work for me. This GolfPadGPS NFC thing is new to me. I will have to check it out.

They took an already awesome golf GPS app and added the ability to shot track with NFC tags that fit in the butt of the club. The same thing that game golf does. The big difference is that their app uses the NFC technology built into most android phones instead of having to carry the little belt box. And that made the price much cheaper, $99. Their app is already one of the best on the market and by simply linking NFC into the already existing app, it likely saved a lot of time energy and effort.

The downside is that it is only available for android, but unlike arccos, the limitation is because of hardware. Apple locks out NFC from being used by external programs, and only works for Apple Pay.

They took an already awesome golf GPS app and added the ability to shot track with NFC tags that fit in the butt of the club. The same thing that game golf does. The big difference is that their app uses the NFC technology built into most android phones instead of having to carry the little belt box. And that made the price much cheaper, $99. Their app is already one of the best on the market and by simply linking NFC into the already existing app, it likely saved a lot of time energy and effort.

The downside is that it is only available for android, but unlike arccos, the limitation is because of hardware. Apple locks out NFC from being used by external programs, and only works for Apple Pay.

Ok, I just researched GolfPad and it looks like the same thing as GameGolf. It requires you to walk around with your phone in your pocket and you need to tap it with the club before each shot. This is what turned me off from GameGolf. I am a very fast golfer and can see myself playing three holes between taps. Also, I'm not sure how I would like having the phone in my pocket for full swings. It sounds like Arccos will work if you keep your phone in the cart or push cart near you while you swing.

Thinking about it now, I might be more inclined to use it in the tap feature with the watches. That won't be as bulky. For now, it sounds like the watch simply provides data and doesn't support the NFC function yet.

I noticed that their product doesn't work on iPhones. iPhone locks down the NFC function for "Apple approved" uses. Typical Apple. You do what Apple says you can do.

Ok, I just researched GolfPad and it looks like the same thing as GameGolf. It requires you to walk around with your phone in your pocket and you need to tap it with the club before each shot. This is what turned me off from GameGolf. I am a very fast golfer and can see myself playing three holes between taps. Also, I'm not sure how I would like having the phone in my pocket for full swings. It sounds like Arccos will work if you keep your phone in the cart or push cart near you while you swing.

Thinking about it now, I might be more inclined to use it in the tap feature with the watches. That won't be as bulky. For now, it sounds like the watch simply provides data and doesn't support the NFC function yet.

I noticed that their product doesn't work on iPhones. iPhone locks down the NFC function for "Apple approved" uses. Typical Apple. You do what Apple says you can do.

I have Android Wear which has NFC functionality, so I will be able to just touch my watch. But my S6 doesn't bother me in my back pocket when I'm walking. I keep it there anyways because I use it to keep my score already.

I feel like we will be waiting for quite some time.

It is very unusual for vendors not to develop software for both platforms simultaneously. The additional effort really isn't that great if you do it from the start. Once the product is out there, more time is spent on upgrades, patches and modifications that will definitely take away from cross platform development.
In Apple's case, it's not very unusual. They pull exclusivity strings wherever possible to lock in a product. In the mobile phone arena, this gets them the guys who are in the market for a new phone, can't decide on a nexus 6 or iPhone 6+, and are looking at accessories. ;)

Just got an email from Arccos with a $100 off code until May 15, use code FF2015. I'm still not going to get it because it's not Android compatible, but figured that this would help some people that are interested in this system.

Hey all, new here, just joined. Thanks for posting the coupon code, just placed my order. Will be reporting on some stats, info, and feedback once I have played with it.

Great topic and responses thus far.

Side note, how do you guys get those cool little logo graphics for the WITBs in your sigs?

That $100 is tempting. I have been eyeing this system. I'm debating between this and a laser. I know they are totally different, but for guys that are using this...if you had to choose just one would you choose this or a laser?

The rebate is so temping, been thinking of pulling the trigger. Think these are a pretty solid investment to improve my game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey all, new here, just joined. Thanks for posting the coupon code, just placed my order. Will be reporting on some stats, info, and feedback once I have played with it.

Great topic and responses thus far.

Side note, how do you guys get those cool little logo graphics for the WITBs in your sigs?

Welcome to the site my man!

Here is a link for how to make your equipment your signature:
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...5-How-Do-I-Add-My-quot-What-s-In-The-Bag-quot

That $100 is tempting. I have been eyeing this system. I'm debating between this and a laser. I know they are totally different, but for guys that are using this...if you had to choose just one would you choose this or a laser?

I would choose Arccos over a laser since it provides full GPS data and statistics. The laser is more accurate to get distance to the flag but for the same money you get a lot more with Arccos IMHO.

I'm different, I would take the laser. Knowing the stats is nice, but knowing how far it is to a hazard and how far to carry a bunker is more important to me. Until there's an update that lets you do that stuff without manipulation, it is a pretty big negative on the software.

While I am a big fan of Arccos, I use it for tracking only and use my laser for all distances. Now Arccos does come in very handy when I'm trying to find a mishit ball or one in the rough as I can reference the "distance from last shot" and know a good idea of where my ball is. For instance, I average 274 yards with my driver so when I cannot find my ball, I start to look around 260 and turn around when I get to 280. Most of the time this helps find it. Other than that, I really don't use Arccos for distance.

So I tried electrical tape to try and keep the sensors on the top of the clubs and that works extremely well, but looks a little hokey. I got myself some 1.25" clear shinkable heat tubing and am trying this next. My only concern is that the thickness may bug me. I'll give it a try. If it bothers me, it's back to the electrical tape.
5F9C5021-9E48-43E0-A9F3-3F0C74391E66_zpszvat3dso.jpg

So I tried electrical tape to try and keep the sensors on the top of the clubs and that works extremely well, but looks a little hokey. I got myself some 1.25" clear shinkable heat tubing and am trying this next. My only concern is that the thickness may bug me. I'll give it a try. If it bothers me, it's back to the electrical tape.

Are your sensors falling off?

Anyone having that problem?

Can't say I ever had that problem with mine.

So I'm finding a Major flaw in the sensor design - after multiple rounds they fall off pretty easily. Here is the email I just sent to Arccos:

I will let you know how they respond, but this is a major concern I have. Also it's not as if I can just go to the store and buy an extra sensor when one does get lost.

Rather than heat shrink or electrical taping around the club - would it be better to put some tape in TOP of the grip so that he sensor pokes through the tape. In other words out something on toot that would have a smaller diameter hole for the sensor point to poke through. Tape, maybe a small amount of a soft epoxy,

The other thought would be to put something on the sensor point to thicken it up.

It may mess up the swing weight of your club, but what about a thin metal washer underneath the grip next time you replace? That way the diameter of the hole is the i.d. of the washer.

It may mess up the swing weight of your club, but what about a thin metal washer underneath the grip next time you replace? That way the diameter of the hole is the i.d. of the washer.

Or even a plastic washer. Anything light and with a smaller hole would work.

I have had a couple that look a little loose, but none that have come out. I check them occasionally and it hasn't been an issue in the 3 months or so I have been using them.

Here is the response. About what I expected. The driver ironically is the one club that I re-gripped less than a month ago and the one that is the most loose.

I may actually try some heat shrink tubing I have to keep in in place which is much cleaner than electrical tape.

So I'm finding a Major flaw in the sensor design - after multiple rounds they fall off pretty easily. Here is the email I just sent to Arccos:

I will let you know how they respond, but this is a major concern I have. Also it's not as if I can just go to the store and buy an extra sensor when one does get lost.

Are your sensors falling off?

Anyone having that problem?

here is the chain of posts with my issue. The sensor snags on my bag and other clubs as I pull them in and out and have basically dislodged a good number of them. I actually had one fly off at impact when hitting my driver.

That kinda sounds like a byproduct of your bag and its compartments than the sensors themselves. Rubber grips, rubber sensors, stupid vinyl dividers in bags.. I've had bags where I've gone to grab just one club and two or three come with it. That has to do a number on them and I'm just not sure anything will help with that unless you go the staff bag or different grip route.

how about a strip of double sided tape between the top of the grip and the sensor? seems it would be pretty unobtrusive. I have some of the 10lb strength double sided tape and it holds like a boss.

here is the chain of posts with my issue. The sensor snags on my bag and other clubs as I pull them in and out and have basically dislodged a good number of them. I actually had one fly off at impact when hitting my driver.

OK, I can totally see how the sensors are being snagged. Not necessarily a design flaw but more of an overall environmental issue (bag).

Thanks for clarifying.

Back