Are single seat carts/vehicles the future for golf now?

CBaker

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
With everything going on with that thing that won't be named - most courses are having to go 1 per cart, or no carts all together. I'd have to think if they have to order more carts to compensate, or drive up the costs of carts in general to deter people from even wanting them, that it could hurt business and round times.

So - with that, are 1 person carts and things such as those golf cart scooters the way of the future, and being forced into quicker acceptance now?

If that is the case, are you for it or against it and why? One per cart/scooter to me seems like it could drastically increase play times.

I played a course a month ago, they had scooters with fat tires. Pretty cool. That said I don’t think so. Things will get back to somewhat normal in time. Perhaps when a vaccine is found.

Had a salesman of the Phat scooters leave one at our course for a trial and didn't work out. They didn't have enough power to get up hills on a mountain course, and salesman said if they had enough power/torque to get up the steep hills then there would be too much speed and too many accidents on flat courses. So, they are a no go on mountain courses.
1588954115078.png

It's like you were listening to my conversation all the while in another thread! LOL!
I was thinking the same thing! Maybe I should move those posts over here

I have thought for a while that the finn cycle or the golf board were good options going forward and also possibly to enhance pace of play. With the current circumstances, I think that speeds up the time line.

Seems they are easier on the course and probably a good option for courses to make more revenue in the long term despite likely a higher initial investment upfront.

Unless less than half the size a current two-man cart many cart barns may not be able to accommodate all of the extra vehicles.

Unless less than half the size a current two-man cart many cart barns may not be able to accommodate all of the extra vehicles.

I think most of the new options are much less than half the size. charging ports for electric carts might be taxed by going to double the number of units but the finn cycles are probably 1/3 or less of the foot print of a standard buggy:

Naaaa....it was a good discussion and distraction mixed in w/ the other that was going downhill quick. LOL

Had a salesman of the Phat scooters leave one at our course for a trial and didn't work out. They didn't have enough power to get up hills on a mountain course, and salesman said if they had enough power/torque to get up the steep hills then there would be too much speed and too many accidents on flat courses. So, they are a no go on mountain courses.
That seems like an engineering problem that could be fixed. They should be able to put a governor on them to limit the speed but still have enough power to get to that speed in hilly terrain. The single rider side effect to golf during Covid has been one thing I have liked. The course I played yesterday wouldnt allow single riders and it felt very strange riding with someone again.

There are just too many reasons to not go for single seat carts
  1. If your course is hilly, forget it, they don't work with a damn
  2. There is too much liability. Even if you do sign a waiver before the round.
  3. More accidents with golfers that just can't control them. Get a few :drinks: in them ... keep 911 on speed dial
  4. Yes you might finish the round faster but is it really worth it?
  5. Golf courses would probably have to charge more
Unfortunately most courses in my area don't have enough carts to allow for just single riders in every cart. Only time will tell :unsure:

however, how are they going to fit all those extra two man carts when they are only allowed one per cart for a long while? Or do you think carts will just become less common at courses that can be walked?

There are just too many reasons to not go for single seat carts
  1. If your course is hilly, forget it, they don't work with a damn
  2. There is too much liability. Even if you do sign a waiver before the round.
  3. More accidents with golfers that just can't control them. Get a few :drinks: in them ... keep 911 on speed dial
  4. Yes you might finish the round faster but is it really worth it?
  5. Golf courses would probably have to charge more
Unfortunately most courses in my area don't have enough carts to allow for just single riders in every cart. Only time will tell :unsure:
What about single person carts though? wouldn't that solve for all of those issues? Might be a little more expensive per round, but some (a lot) of newer courses aren't walkable at all, and you need carts. Would companies be willing to sell a single seater a bit cheaper because they know they can move more units, keeping the price at least manageable?

Companies like Sun Mountain make it VERY attractive for courses to change, including a super low cost, in exchange for some points per rental.

The problem in my opinion is that they have done a poor job of marketing and educating their product outside of "its fun"

Companies like Sun Mountain make it VERY attractive for courses to change, including a super low cost, in exchange for some points per rental.

The problem in my opinion is that they have done a poor job of marketing and educating their product outside of "its fun"

but isn't this the time for them to really get after it? Lower cost on the buy in is huge right now.

That seems like an engineering problem that could be fixed. They should be able to put a governor on them to limit the speed but still have enough power to get to that speed in hilly terrain.
isn't that what regular carts already do?

but isn't this the time for them to really get after it? Lower cost on the buy in is huge right now.

Without a doubt. I think their single rider carts are incredible and they have new features that would satisfy every golfer.
Their marketing is terrible. You need to think passed the "its fun" or "its an adventure" and get to the nuts and bolts that the majority of golfers need to learn.

Education through marketing will win.

This is a good point. They should market it such that they are comparing the advantages of one vs another. Longer charge time, more power & comfort level, ease of use, etc. Vs watch me break my neck on this skateboard/golfcart :eek:

This is a good point. They should market it such that they are comparing the advantages of one vs another. Longer charge time, more power & comfort level, ease of use, etc. Vs watch me break my neck on this skateboard/golfcart :eek:
Trike (no idea if that's how it's spelled), might be the best solution there. Then you'd just have to have some regular carts kept around as handicap accessible versions. for people who wouldn't be able to get on and off them easily. I think there is definitely a way around this.

If we can build sky scrapers, we can figure out how to build a logical single seat transport around a golf course.

I don’t think so. I think most will get back to their normal lives as fast as they are “allowed” to.

That being said, I’m all for more options.

That seems like an engineering problem that could be fixed. They should be able to put a governor on them to limit the speed but still have enough power to get to that speed in hilly terrain. The single rider side effect to golf during Covid has been one thing I have liked. The course I played yesterday wouldnt allow single riders and it felt very strange riding with someone again.
You would think they could figure it out, but they've just engineered the ones the have now that way. Hope they can fix it in the future. I know those of us that got to try them, loved them all except having to push ourselves up hills.

I'd love it if my course got those motorcycles or surfboard ones, but now that I've walked it for the first time it's not THAT bad despite all the big hills and elevation changes

I don’t think so. I think most will get back to their normal lives as fast as they are “allowed” to.

That being said, I’m all for more options.
What if they aren't allowed to for say, 6 months to a year. Is it a viable option for courses to try and run their businesses with a bunch of two seat carts and only have one person per cart? Hell I know courses now that struggled to keep up with cart demand during the season with 2 people per cart.

Back