Are single seat carts/vehicles the future for golf now?

Would 1 seat carts be a bad thing though?

I don't think so, and I also think there are going to be a lot of repercussions from this wrinkle in time. Single rider carts would not be a bad thing to this internet troll.

Manufactures are not going to overhaul the entire program. Plus it will cost courses a ton of money to get new ones.
When was the last time you saw a course but ALL NEW carts.
not too frequently

I don't think so, and I also think there are going to be a lot of repercussions from this wrinkle in time. Single rider carts would not be a bad thing to this internet troll.

I debated about starting a new thread or asking it here. IF that were to be the case, that we were forced to ride as singles, what would you miss about riding with another person...if anything?

I am curious. how do courses charge? I sit an all in fee (includes greens fee, cart, maybe balls) or is it ala cart (greens fees then a cart is charged seperately)? Most places around here are ala cart, but the cart fee is for shared cart. I think that will impact how these places have to proceed going forward.

but if you are limiting your rounds because you run out of carts you are going to have to raise prices right? If a course is walkable that isn't much of an issue, but if the course is set up to be cart only... well your fleet just got effectively cut in half so something is going to have to give.
True, but there would have to be a large initial payout for the all the one person options and the space needed for them as well. I guess you could try to sell the carts you have, but not sure how difficult it is to switch.

Manufactures are not going to overhaul the entire program. Plus it will cost courses a ton of money to get new ones.
When was the last time you saw a course but ALL NEW carts.
not too frequently

But it doesn't have to cost a course a ton of money.
When their current lease runs out, they make a change for single riders, which cost far less up front.

When their current lease runs out, they make a change for single riders, which cost far less up front.
This makes sense and I agree but what happens to all the normal carts? Golf carts for everyone at home? :D

I think single rider carts would be awesome. You can still mingle with your buddies the whole round and I liked Nate's post about listening to your own music in your own cart. Courses could swap them out as their old leases are up and do a slow roll out in the future. Heck it could be a huge selling/marketing point for courses right now with everything that's going on.

I would personally love to own a Finn Scooter or something like that where I could just load it up in the back of my truck and take it to whatever course I'm playing.

This makes sense and I agree but what happens to all the normal carts? Golf carts for everyone at home? :D

Good question. What happened to all of those cars with no seat belts?

what happened to all the VHS players when DVD took over? If the (and I stipulate this is a big if) the market decides that a product is no longer of need it goes away.

Are single rider carts less than half the cost of a standard two person cart? Wouldn't you need double the single carts to accommodate the same number of golfers

Are single rider carts less than half the cost of a standard two person cart? Wouldn't you need double the single carts to accommodate the same number of golfers

Depends on the cart and the lease, but if all carts are single ride right now, you would need the same number regardless right?

Outright cost, right around there.
But as I mentioned previously, the up front cost is very little with some points per round played, which can be built into cost. Courses should be making these decisions, especially those that struggle with pace already.

No. This is all and overblown reaction. We will settle down in 12-18 months and stop being so stupid.

No. This is all and overblown reaction. We will settle down in 12-18 months and stop being so stupid.

Why is it being stupid to fix pace of play issues? ;)

I think the overreaction to all of this will normalize and golf carts will return to normal use. I’m sure there are golfers who will continue to be cautious and that’s fine. I feel like courses moving to something other than a two seat cart is a massive cost and right now I don’t see where clubs/courses can afford that cost.

Outright cost, right around there.
But as I mentioned previously, the up front cost is very little with some points per round played, which can be built into cost. Courses should be making these decisions, especially those that struggle with pace already.

Thanks, guess I didn't quite understand what you meant by points per round

Reactions: JB

Oh, 12-18 months? In our very patient society I am sure everyone will just sit tight until then with ZERO changes to how life operates in any aspect.

Why is it being stupid to fix pace of play issues? ;)
Man, single carts would be so nice for our league night. Instead of watching these guys go to a ball, hit, drive to the next guys in the opposite rough, hit, and repeat it would be great to see actual ready golf by everyone.

I understand people think nothing is going on, and everything is overblown...that's great. But when states are mandating rules, even for 3-4 months (that's an entire season some places), that's enough to close a course that has to basically operate at 50%, because people won't just start paying twice the rate to golf. There is a lot that goes into keeping a course open and groomed, that can't be paid at 50%....so you cut your revenue ability by 50%, and all of a sudden you close.

I also for the life of me wouldn't understand the argument AGAINST single rider carts. I can't think of a single actual downfall. Don't get to talk with your cart mate? Drive a few feet away and talk. other than that there is really no downside to the consumer unless they charge crazy amounts for them. I don't own the course, everything other than greens fees isn't my concern.

I understand people think nothing is going on, and everything is overblown...that's great. But when states are mandating rules, even for 3-4 months (that's an entire season some places), that's enough to close a course that has to basically operate at 50%, because people won't just start paying twice the rate to golf. There is a lot that goes into keeping a course open and groomed, that can't be paid at 50%....so you cut your revenue ability by 50%, and all of a sudden you close.

I also for the life of me wouldn't understand the argument AGAINST single rider carts. I can't think of a single actual downfall. Don't get to talk with your cart mate? Drive a few feet away and talk. other than that there is really no downside to the consumer unless they charge crazy amounts for them. I don't own the course, everything other than greens fees isn't my concern.

Not to mention, costs for the each round has to be going up. Having to provide masks and gloves to all the personal, the increased cleaning of "contact points" and each cart, the loss of revenue of any restaurant/gatherings that are not allowed now...

I know my home course hosts a lot of weddings at the event center.... well all that money is not coming in for who knows how long.

The mention of Finn Scooters always makes me crack up about a story from our home course. Our Head Pro was testing one out and seriously thinking about getting them for rentals. We were giving him crap that it would only take the first day before someone got drunk and wiped out on one. He of course said there was no way that would happen and that they're completely safe.

Well he just got done saying that, headed down the first fairway and evidently took too sharp of a turn and biffed it! We were absolutely rolling laughing at him, such perfect timing.

The mention of Finn Scooters always makes me crack up about a story from our home course. Our Head Pro was testing one out and seriously thinking about getting them for rentals. We were giving him crap that it would only take the first day before someone got drunk and wiped out on one. He of course said there was no way that would happen and that they're completely safe.

Well he just got done saying that, headed down the first fairway and evidently took too sharp of a turn and biffed it! We were absolutely rolling laughing at him, such perfect timing.
That’s hysterical. The early versions with the tiny tires were interesting.

Crazy to think they have never had a single claim (yet).

unlike the morons in the two person carts that run each over, flip, get stuck in bunkers, etc

Reactions: KEV
Oh, 12-18 months? In our very patient society I am sure everyone will just sit tight until then with ZERO changes to how life operates in any aspect.
I’m not sure I understand what you were saying. Golf courses are not going to buy or lease a bunch of new carts so everybody can have one because it’s not realistic from a cost standpoint. That is unless they charge a significant amount per person per cart.

As we move forward all of these discussions about social distancing and one person per cart and anything else related to the pandemic is going to die down.

The owners that I have talk to cannot make money in this current environment. So, there are three options. Option number one go out of business. Option number to increase prices. Option number three try and go back to as normal as we possibly can before all this started.

I’m not sure I understand what you were saying. Golf courses are not going to buy or lease a bunch of new carts so everybody can have one because it’s not realistic from a cost standpoint. That is unless they charge a significant amount per person per cart.

As we move forward all of these discussions about social distancing and one person per cart and anything else related to the pandemic is going to die down.

The owners that I have talk to cannot make money in this current environment. So, there are three options. Option number one go out of business. Option number to increase prices. Option number three try and go back to as normal as we possibly can before all this started.

Or option #4 be progressive and out think your competition with something that doesn't cost a lot up front, increases pace of play and future proofs your course.

I debated about starting a new thread or asking it here. IF that were to be the case, that we were forced to ride as singles, what would you miss about riding with another person...if anything?

I really like the single cart when playing with random strangers which is quite often. However, I'm playing a lot more golf with the active AZ THP group. I miss sharing a cart with a friend. It just allows so much more time to talk, socialize, and share the experience with that person.

But if you told me that the max round will now be 4 hr instead of 5....I'll get over missing that cartner experience really quick.

Back