Are you as good as the guys you play with?

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
I was playing the other day with a couple of guys from the men's group I play with. And we are all about the same except for maybe two guys. Some are more consistent than others but I think if you spilt our matches, for the most part it's a draw.

I know I can draw from their games and count on their advise. It got me thinking of others can do the same with their regular group. Are you the best in group, the same as the guys in your group or bring up the rear.

Unfortunately the guys I play with everyone comes to me for advice since I normally play more often and normally better.

I play with a bunch of hackers so yes. There's one guy I play with once or twice a year who is about a 9 or 10. He's the only regular or semi-regular playing partner that's clearly better.

I usually play guys in the same industry and none of us really get the chance to play as frequently as we would like.

About the same, I get together about once a month with my son and a couple other guys and we're all about the same skill level. we feed off each other quite a bit.

About the same with my regular foursome. One of us will get on a hot streak for a while but usually we are within a few strokes of each other.

From my regular group, I'm the highest handicap. Considering they're all current or former pros, I'm odd man out.

I'm usually about the same or a level lower. The main difference is they are more consistent with their swings than I am, but if I'm matching them swing for swing

In some cases I'm better than my partners and others I'm just a little behind. The hood things is it's an enjoyable time with most of them (non Thp partners are hit or miss)

We have a group of 8 of us and I am right in the middle. Playing on teams helps my focus level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About the same. Some facets may be better or worse but generally it's a wash.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I do not have one regular group I play with at my course. I play with a lot of different people numerous times per year and their skill level ranges from equal to mine to much worse than mine. I really enjoy mixing it up. I honestly used to play worse when playing playing with guys at an equal skill level because they are much younger and longer than me so I tried to keep up with them from a distance standpoint and my game would go to pot. Once I decided to just play my own game, the rounds became very equal and competitive.

I'm kind of in the middle. There are certainly guys in our group that are consistently better than I am and there are some that I usually play better than but it's all good. We almost always have a good time!!

Some are better than me. Some about the same. Some are worse. But the key ingredient to them all; they're all great people.

My regular group is either roughly the same handicap as me or a single digit golfer. I enjoy playing with others better than me because I get to see how they go about things and pick up tips by just observing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My regular group is mixed. We have 1 scratch, 1 higher and me and the 3rd are equal

Yes, everyone I play with is usually of comparable skill - we're amateurs so it varies by day

Most of the guys I play with all have comparable skills. There are two guys I play with fairly regularly that I am no where near their skills. One is a former PGA / Senior PGA tour player, the other is a +3 handicap. We can play 2-2 1/2 hour round and I feel like I slowed them down!

We go back and forth but my son-in-law and son are usually better. My son in particular has improved in the last year or two. As someone else said, I'm less consistent. It's the blowup hole or holes that do me in.

Last edited:
They are better, but it helps me improve.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have two regular groups. One has 3 guys that have just started the game. They are obesessed and take it seriously but still struggle being so new. The 2nd group is the other 3 of my scramble team. They all have been PGA pros and 2 have monday qualified in the past. So in group one I will give 20 to 25 strokes. In group 2 I will get 3 strokes. I always play better with group 2 but have just as much fun with either.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Usually I am not anywhere close to the same level of player that I play with...
That does not prevent me from having a great time, and asking for pops if something is on the line!

The men's group I occasionally play with has some pretty solid players, so generally, most of them are better than me. I've been making some progress with my game lately, and I'm actually just now feeling like I'm in the same league as some of them. I also like playing am tour events and since it's handicap based, I feel I'm just as good as anyone I tee it up with there. When I'm not playing either of those, I'm playing with one of if not both of my young kids. I can still beat them. ��

I will say that I generally play to the level of my playing partners, when I play with good players I will play a few strokes under my cap whereas when I play with high cappers it can be wheels off for me. General rule of thumb has to do with pace, I like to play quick and the better players I golf with are no nonsense. When I play with higher cap players there tends to be a lot of search parties deployed looking for balls, re-teeing, frolicking in the sand, and obsessive amounts of practice swings.

Depends which group I am playing with. If it's with the other local THPer's they are higher skilled than me. Any of my other buddies that I play with I'm usually a little better or close to level.

Not generally when I get with my THP Brothers.

At work I am close to the top, which isn't saying much

Back