Are you as good as the guys you play with?

My normal threesome has a handicap spread of about 9 points. I'm the middle 'cap. I can beat the better player on a good day and the highest handicap player can definitely beat both of us when he plays his A game.

We very very rarely get or give each other advice. I think I mentioned something to one of them once about something I noticed on a particularly good shot and one of them told me about an alignment error I was doing. We don't really play games or for money so pops aren't an issue.

Last edited:
Sometimes yes...sometimes no. Regardless seldomly am i asking or giving pointers

Two of the guys in my soon-to-be former regular group are better than me and I'm equal to slightly better than the third. I never minded and I enjoyed watching one of them play, as long as I wasn't playing horrendously that day.

HELL NO

Next question.

OITW, The_Dude, and ArtM are the 3 local guys I golf with most and they routinely beat me. I keep up with them throughout the round but with me being an 18 hdcp I have a couple blow up holes. I don't slow down the group though. I just take a lot of swings, faster! Playing with better players has made me a better player and I have made some great friends in the process!

OITW, The_Dude, and ArtM are the 3 local guys I golf with most and they routinely beat me. I keep up with them throughout the round but with me being an 18 hdcp I have a couple blow up holes. I don't slow down the group though. I just take a lot of swings, faster! Playing with better players has made me a better player and I have made some great friends in the process!

Allegedly

I have no idea how it shakes out. I try to play my game and not worry to much about what others are doing. I'm sure it goes both ways some better some are not.

That depends on who I'm playing with, LOL. For the regular group here in Northern IL, my weakness, and the strength of one of the playing partners really separates us, by 4 to 5 strokes, without fail. I need to keep making improvements in my short game if I stand a chance of reeling him in.

I play in a group of 6 guys. I'm in the bottom half of my regular group. The top two will battle each other for scores in the 80s, the next 3 will shoot in the low 90s (me included) and then the last guy shoots high 90s or low 100s. I'm usually vying to win the 90s group.

Allegedly

It is what it is my friend! Maybe 2017 will be the year I put things together and lower my handicap! Playing with better players makes me a better player.

Usually I am not anywhere close to the same level of player that I play with...
That does not prevent me from having a great time, and asking for pops if something is on the line!

Yeah but I know your the guy with best attitude in your group. You're just a fun guy to play with.

I am usually the worst in my playing group. I try to use it as motivation to get better and play on their level.

It is what it is my friend! Maybe 2017 will be the year I put things together and lower my handicap! Playing with better players makes me a better player.

I meant I played against you at Ambition and you're better than you give yourself credit for

There is a good mix of guys in the NorCal crew, and I fall right in the middle of them. I also play with a guy at my home course who is a 4 index and I always enjoy those rounds because I try to pick up as much as possible particularly when it comes to course management.

Out of my group of 10 I'm middle of the road. I'm the new gut too as I've only been playing for 5 years..

Our group goes as follows: 6, 6, 8, 8, 10, 10, 11 (me), 13, 13 & 17.

I meant I played against you at Ambition and you're better than you give yourself credit for

Thanks! I give myself plenty of credit, I just know it's always a couple of holes during the round that ruin my scorecard. I just need to make some better decisions, work with what I got (and not try hero shots) and eliminate those holes. I'm looking forward to 2017!

The group of THP guys I play with regularly are all better than me. But, I play regularly with a group of buddies from high school and I am generally better than most of them. Its good mix of players that I have to play well to beat occasionally. But all help realize about 80-90% of the game is who you play with not your score.

Id say Im in the middle, Im better than some and some are better than me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm usually middle of the pack with my normal group, a couple of them are dang good golfers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks! I give myself plenty of credit, I just know it's always a couple of holes during the round that ruin my scorecard. I just need to make some better decisions, work with what I got (and not try hero shots) and eliminate those holes. I'm looking forward to 2017!
I've played multiple rounds with you and can attest to the quality of your game. Sharpen up that short game and you'll be lethal.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

For me it depends on what group of friends I am playing with, one group I am towards the top. Now if playing with normal playing partner I am not even close to him and never will be. He hits shots I can not think of hitting let alone have the skill to hit them. Even with him teaching me I will not be as good as he is.

Of the regular people I play with, yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on the guys, sometimes better, sometimes not

Yeah i am, most of the guys range from 11-26 handicaps that i play with, im on a 7 at the moment. I dont care though as long as we enjoy it and have a beer afterwards.

If I'm playing with other THPers, I'm worst in the group and it doesn't matter one bit.

If I'm playing with my local buddies, I'm smack dab in the middle and it doesn't matter one bit.

Back