Artisan Golf Company

@DufferToo Hey buddy! Hope all is well! I think they are holding up really well. You can see a bit of a blend starting to occur which is cool. But you tell me?

View attachment 9003639
View attachment 9003640
Everyone is doing well, thanks. I trust all is well with you and your family.

They're "ageing" nicely. Are you going to stop the process at some point or just see how they turn out?

Everyone is doing well, thanks. I trust all is well with you and your family.

They're "ageing" nicely. Are you going to stop the process at some point or just see how they turn out?

At this point probably gonna let em ride to see what direction it goes. Hitting em so well don’t want to mess w/ anything right now.

i want to do this so badly

i think i have more than 3 hours of lessons before my wedge game is in a better spot haha

Think Kisner - arms and body together, and the rest of what Ty said, I think it was weight forward, head goes a little forward, set up chest slightly open, etc. You'll get it. Tax season probably isn't helping. I'm busy as heck and reviewing, negotiating contracts, and dealing with PO'd customers of clients doesn't help my golf game.:(

But tomorrow, it's range time... again. Need to play.

But tomorrow, it's range time... again. Need to play.

Played Texas Star a few weeks ago. Was in good shape, greens seem to still be recovering from the winter blast. Finally scored well there; the course usually wins against me.

Played Texas Star a few weeks ago. Was in good shape, greens seem to still be recovering from the winter blast. Finally scored well there; the course usually wins against me.

That course takes its toll.

I found hitting fairways & greens makes the experience much more pleasurable.
Interesting concept.. might have to try it..

Really really enjoying these wedges. Enough so that guys I’ve been playing with have taken notice and are asking questions. Super glad I ended up going this route! Again shout out to @Pringles for pushing me to get over there.
So pumped for you, my man. I swear that I will get out there one day and have my own fitting. Those wedges are absolute fire!!! So glad the whole experience was worth it!

Check these beauties out….

CE343D4E-6696-4E5C-8132-97EE0E651FAD.jpeg38A6C580-68A6-42E6-9C82-D036A3D98CF8.jpeg490F9597-5E35-4021-A5B6-56FF5DCFD874.jpeg

Will be there tomorrow looking for a putter.:rolleyes:

A never-ending search must stop soon. But the 10 S 2Ball is impressive.

Even if I don't get a putter, in the interests of science (?), I will let you know what occurred.

Let's talk about an Artisan Putter fitting.

Mine. This morning.

Walked into Artisan and out the door with John Hatfield, who fits and makes your putter. John carried a bagful of putters and asked me to take two of the five that I had brought with me. We walked to the green at their neighbor, Leonard Golf Links (an impressive range and practice area), which afforded us shade and well-conditioned practice green.

John explained that we were going to discuss my stroke, and make adjustments so he could fit me for the putter. Remember, John had worked with Nike, and Tiger was a Nike guy. And when John started talking Tiger, I shut my mouth and listened.

John asked me about great, athletic putters and must have said something else because I mentioned Brad Faxon and Stan Utley. We also brought Ben Crenshaw into the conversation as well as Tiger. We then discussed how putting instruction has trended to a mechanical stroke, taking out our athleticism. I was intrigued because I agreed but had not met a professional who taught a more athletic approach. John asked me to go through my routine for about 3-6 putts before handing me an Artisan.

He did not say anything about my grip or my address position, which is square. He commented that I have the ball forward in my setup - yep, it is, inside the left heel.

John stopped me after a few putts and we discussed what he saw and what I could do to help my putting and the fitting. He saw my shoulders moving too much and when that happens, they can cause a putter to get stuck going back (push) or the lead shoulder can cause a pull. After his explanation, when I pulled a putt, guess what? The lead shoulder was the culprit.

Then we discussed soft arms, the athletic stroke, and the strike. He said when you hear Touring Pros talk putting, they talk about "the strike." Then he rammed a putter head hard against his shoe - he said, "that's a hit, not a strike." Then he hit the putter head gently against his shoe. "That's not what I'm talking about either." Then he hit the putter head against his shoe with a firm strike. "That's what we want."

More on moving that putter head in a second.

The first question you may have is "Must I change my stroke? I've done this for years." No, this is the way John fits to find the specs of the putter that you will swing well. You can rock if you want, Me? I've studied Utley and Faxon for years, and wanted to try something more athletic. It's whatever works. What John showed me gave me a tighter role on the ball with less dispersion. That got my attention. So if you want a better, tighter roll, or are sufficiently intrigued, please read on.

John asked me to putt with one hand, first with the left, then the right. He was attempting to see if I was right hand or left hand dominant. It was a little odd at first (newish) but by the third round of 3 balls with each arm, he said I was good with both, but I was right-handed dominant. I am left-handed but play right-handed, so I guess this says do not assume anything. See the vid below with Faxon. But I had about a "5" for pressure in my right fingers, and about a "2" in my left fingers. Takes faith to have that little pressure.

If you were left-hand dominant, John would give you a different method for the stroke as you'd be pulling the left hand. It's just a different way of striking the ball and moving the shoulders that makes a difference as opposed to a right-hand dominant golfer.

John discussed having soft arms and light pressure on the grip. See Tiger discuss his mini-lesson with Ben Crenshaw below. That was our objective.

I was still moving my shoulders too much so John did a few things to show me how to limit their movement. The shoulders move enough to allow the soft arms to move. As Tiger says in the vid, the putter gets behind your hands (the grip doesn't move much but the putter head does) and then you let the putter head fall on the ball. Then we steadied my head.

Below is Tiger practicing before his round - right, left, then both hands.

Now back to the fitting process. I hit several 12-foot right-to-left swingers on a slope and then some 25 footers uphill that broke right to left. The result was that my roll improved immensely. I use Aimpoint and noticed if I felt a "3" of slope, that was too much. I almost had to cut it in half (a 3 finger to a 2 finger slope) because my roll was more pure/tight. On several strokes, I thought the ball would break left at the end on the uphill, right to left putts but it kept its roll and snuck in the left edge several times. I was pleasantly surprised.

John knew enough from watching me that he'd placed a lighter putter head in my hands to improve my tempo. I've been thinking that while that the trend is heavier, it's not for me." Because I use a 35-inch putter. John agreed that for me, lighter was better, and then said, "But we've got to quiet your hands." So he added a counterweight, and that worked.

Then we tried a lightly milled face - it had a more direct feel/sound as opposed to the medium milling that he'd had me using in the other Artisan putter. It's funny that a lightly milled face had my distance control out of whack (long) and we both agreed that the medium milled face was softer yet responsive with enough feel/sound.

He then asked me to hit a 40 footer downhill straight putt (I don't like straight putts) and after the first one, my distance was good. Then we hit short ones, then he placed 3 balls 15 feet from the hole arranged like the hands of a clock and I hit those. The only issue I had was getting accustomed to the strike when the putter "fell" on the ball. John said that "fall" means don't force the putter down - let it hit the "slot" and roll.

The roll with this "soft arms" stroke is "tight."It was hard to believe the roll - how tight - and how well the ball held the line - very impressive and surprising at the same time. Part of it, I think, is the milling. It had the ball rolling pure combined with the soft arms stroke

I hit more putts, and then John asked if I was ready to build the putter. I asked if the head mattered. He said, "No, you are a face-aimer," meaning I use the face of the putter to aim. So as long as I chose a head that did not distract me from using the face to aim, I was good. John said, "I make all of my heads swing the same way for the golfer I'm fitting. Choose the putter head you love."

We had previously discussed toe hang, shaft bend, and offset, and from looking at me hitting putts for almost 2 hrs, he had that part figured out. He wanted some toe hang but not too much, maybe 15 deg for me. I needed some offset but not much.

We went into the shop and discussed head shape finishes, stamping, putter grip, shaft, and then John measured me for length and lie. We also discussed the tri-sole of his putters. I asked questions about the use of a titanium hosel and the mass behind the putter. John answered when those additions were useful.

What did I choose? Big Question for me. John has an updated face shape - the 0521- See the pic below in Gold - the face is a little longer heel to toe than the 0519 but not as wide. I am fairly old school, so it is tour satin, 340g, with weights on the sole, single bend tour satin shaft, GP Pro Only Cord Grey 81cc Grip, and almost 30g of counterweight. Will take about 4-5 weeks. I also had a variety of headcovers from which to choose. I chose a magnetic h/c.

While I was walking around the shop, I saw many boxes with the names of PGA Tour Players on them. If you want a precision-built putter where every spec is made to you and you want your putter designer and maker who worked with and works with PGA Tour Players, I'd seriously consider John at Artisan. I think Artisan is one of the best-kept secrets of golf for handmade putters and legendary wedges.

What did I think? Gosh, I learned a heck of a lot in a couple of hours and we spent another hour talking about the putter build where I learned more. The experience was, as they say, priceless. More than well worth it. Schedule an appointment. DFW Airport is only a few hours away.;)

I now have a tour tight roll on the ball with the Artisan fit and putter. What more could I ask?

Screen Shot 2021-09-03 at 10.19.50 PM.png

Admittedly, the tour satin that I chose in this head shape is well finished and polished in satin. It's a new head but they had a tour satin on the assembly bench that we "discussed." It has no lines. I went for a punch dot on top. I don't like distractions. Just old-school plain.

The new 0321 Head has a more refined look.

Screen Shot 2021-09-14 at 4.48.42 PM.png
I asked John about the designs because they are not as "posh" as other makers. There is no Dalmation, German stainless steel or twisted necks. He said that at Artisan we think of golf clubs as tools, and we've been doing this for a very long time to make the finest tools that custom fit each golfer who sees us.

Sure does put a great roll on the ball.

Oh, yes, on the Artisan irons. The Japanese division could not hold off on those pics. The irons are not yet approved by the Artisan head honcho.

Last edited:
@Desmond that's amazing! great write up. i want to go to there.

I posted the above, #117, after midnight, this morning when not as many were around. If you want to read about putting and the Artisan Experience, read away. Some of this may belong in a putting banter discussion. It's enlightening.

Last edited:
From September 3 to October 20... took a little longer because ... that's the teaser. :oops:

Time to pick up the putter... :D

In the morning. Will spend a few minutes with John (fitter, designer, and maker) on the green to check the stroke and make certain I use the putter as he intended.

Traveled to Artisan in Ft Worth this morning (about 45 minutes) to pick up my custom Artisans. I had called John (Hatfield) to see if he had time to look at my swing and offer corrections.

If you want to learn more about the Artisan Putting Experience and Fitting with John, read post #117 above.

When I arrived, John had them in his hand.

The first hood leather h/c for the new 0321 Model:
IMG_0871.jpeg

Magnetic real leather headcover below:
IMG_0874.jpeg

John led me out to the putting green and I took the blade and began putting on the dewy green - it was about 68F with some humidity.

After a few strokes, he said remember these three things because everything else, posture, alignment, etc. are perfect. The three things were:

CHIN (KEEP STILL and then slowly turn to follow with eyes after putter has stopped)

A FIRM STRIKE (it's sort of like lighting a match - you will adjust)

HOLD (DO THE CANTLAY FOLLOW THROU - NOT PAST YOUR LEAD FOOT) AND THE HOLD WILL HELP KEEP SHOULDERS STILL SO YOU DO NOT PULL and you will make great contact.

Sorry for the caps - I copied from my Apple Notes.

So we worked on the stroke for about 20 minutes, and when John was happy that I "got it," he said give me a call any time if you are having issues with your stroke. I know it and know what to tell you.

I then talked with the Artisan iron clubmaker who will take your irons and rebuild them (Have Mizuno HMBs that need some MMT shafts) and left with the blade and the other ...:unsure:

The other ...

IMG_0857.jpeg

Nice Milling ya' got there, baby. No buttah' face here.

IMG_0858.jpeg

Adjustable Weights/Choose your colors

IMG_0859.jpeg

GP Pro Only Chord, Satin Shaft...

IMG_0860.jpeg

This model has a Chameleon finish - the finish changes with the light. And about that shaft - satin. Single bend, not much toe hang, 340g - fit for me. Heavy putters cause me issues.

Milling is perfectly done by John and responsive - not too soft or firm, just right for me. He has 3 milling styles and this is the mid. What you cannot see - the 30g or so counterweight in the grip to help quiet the hands.

I will put the blade pics up in a few.;)

Last edited:
For the blade style - this putter is what he calls his compact mallet - John took his wide blade-like mallet and then lengthened it slightly from heel to toe and then decreased the width of the flange. Believe it turned out very artsy-bladee and handsome. Don't know if I would do the sight dot again but it's just a punch - no paint fill.

It is a satin putter finish - no sheen here and the shaft is satin.

Both putters have the same slight hang (think of a Ten S 2 Ball Hang) and are built similarly to my fit - they both roll the same and both have the 30g counterweight in the grip to quiet the hands. The only difference is the finish and the shape.

I went over to my course afterwards and putted with an instructor I know. He kept on taking the blade from me for his practice. I spent about 40 minutes with them and they both played similarly just as John said....

Ft Worth ... John Hatfield ... putter fitting ... Highly recommended.

Oooh, a profile that every golfer can love...
IMG_0862.jpeg
Went classic on the bottom - black, white, satin, and augmented with adjustable weights.
IMG_0864.jpeg

A face that more than your mother will love ....
IMG_0867.jpeg

Handsome is as handsome does...
IMG_0861.jpeg

Last edited:
Welcome to the family!! I am #23 and I love my Artisan 0217. I need to get back down to visit John and Mike again.

Welcome to the family!! I am #23 and I love my Artisan 0217. I need to get back down to visit John and Mike again.

Thx! After the wedges, I needed a putter(s). Fitting Works.

Thx! After the wedges, I needed a putter(s). Fitting Works.
I am waiting for their irons!!:love::love: When I was down there a few years ago they showed me some prototypes...

Back