Belly Putter....hmmmmmm

FrankA

Catch ya on the flip side
Reaction score
I have been playing with these at my local golf shop and have to say it makes sense. I want to try one out but don't want to have a $200 trial. Do any of you game these? If so...why did you switch?

I wish my local stores had more of them. I am a big fan of SeeMore and have been checking them out online but none are available locally to roll.

What models have you been playing with in the store?

Tappin' from my iPad!

I have been playing with these at my local golf shop and have to say it makes sense. I want to try one out but don't want to have a $200 trial. Do any of you game these? If so...why did you switch?

I have been doing this as well. I am not as confident as I dont really like them at all.

I wish my local stores had more of them. I am a big fan of SeeMore and have been checking them out online but none are available locally to roll.

What models have you been playing with in the store?

I have been using the ping pick me up. It's a center shafted club. I liked it a lot. Then I picked up an Odyssey 2 ball. Heel shafted. It was great. It was also the right length. I can't find anything on ebay or craig's list worth buying. That 2 ball may be an impulse buy, soon.

I have seen those conversion kits but in checking the specs the heads are heavier on the long putters from the manufacturers. How do you think that will impact the club and stroke?

I went to Golf Galaxy in Indy over the weekend and they had 3 Taylormade Ghost belly putters on the rack, I tried one a little but I also already game the Corsa Ghost long putter that is 48 " long. I love this thing and liked the Ghost , but it still causes me to bend over and this seems to cause my back to hurt where the long putter I pretty much stand straight. After putting with it a little I kind of watched the action on the putting green and quite a few people tried one and a few gave it a reall try not just hitting a few balls to see if they liked it. I left before one guy who probably putted 40-50 balls with this thing and I wouldn't be suprized to see him with one. With all the uproar about these things lately I can say for sure I really love mine, it has helped my game ,but I still miss , it is not a cure all but for my game it helps me.

I have seen those conversion kits but in checking the specs the heads are heavier on the long putters from the manufacturers. How do you think that will impact the club and stroke?

I'm trying it out for a couple of reasons, first to find the length that I need, and second to see if the style works for me. If I like it, I will be getting one to game.

Yeah I am interested in know how that works out.

I think a heavier head makes sense because it is basically a pendulum and I think the heavier head would be more stable through the stroke. Probably the reason that most you see are full mallets and not blades, etc.

Tappin' from my iPad!

For at lot cheaper price than buying one, you can convert your current one with the Belly Putt that Smalls posted, or take it to your local golf shop and have it reshafted.

Not just a belly putter, but has anyone tried the long shafted, Adam Scott style putter?

Not going to lie, seems to me like it would be easier to convert to that IMO.

I have been wanting to try one of these out for the last week, but none of the golf stores have any demos yet. That and none of my golf partners have one either...

Do you guys anchor the putter or not? If so, why do you like either way?

I really don't know what to do with the long long putter. I think just practicing a few strokes with the belly putter gave me a better stroke with my standard putter.

Ive been trying out the Ghost spyder belly putter at my local golf shop. Im getting use to putting with it but I havent seen any improvment over my standard size putter. It really takes out shakey hands but you need to get use to it, esp for longer putts for distance control

OEM is going to come in here and go HAM on belly putters.

You're all weak.

I wanted to try a belly putter, but I didn't want to spend the money on one. So instead I took an extra SeeMore putter I had around the house and I brought it to Golf Galaxy and had 8" added to the end and a grip put on. Instead of $200, it cost me $20.

DSC00134.jpg

DSC00131.jpg

DSC00132.jpg

Best part is that it's completely reversable, if I don't like it I can have the added length taken out and a normal grip put back on it.

OEM is going to come in here and go HAM on belly putters.

Two weeks ago I might have beaten him to the punch!

I've tried a few putts with a belly putter, and "long" putter at the local Golfsmith and both of them didn't feel quite right. Then over the weekend I heard Johnny Miller remark that he thought it would take 1,000 practice putts with a belly putter or long putter to gain confidence with it, especially on long putts.

I've tried a couple belly/long putters at the local golf store and I just can't see myself using one. While I seemed to putt decently well on shorter putts with them, I just couldn't get comfortable. It's odd as with my height I would think I would be more comfortable with a longer one, but it just felt weird. :shrug:

I'm going to OEM one or a conversion kit soon. I putted like someone from wisconsin out there the last few days.

I wanted to try a belly putter, but I didn't want to spend the money on one. So instead I took an extra SeeMore putter I had around the house and I brought it to Golf Galaxy and had 8" added to the end and a grip put on. Instead of $200, it cost me $20.

DSC00134.jpg

DSC00131.jpg

DSC00132.jpg

Best part is that it's completely reversable, if I don't like it I can have the added length taken out and a normal grip put back on it.

thats cool, what about swingweight though?

I really don't know what to do with the long long putter. I think just practicing a few strokes with the belly putter gave me a better stroke with my standard putter.

The way I use my long putter is similar to the way Frank Nabaloe explained it on one of the Golf Channel shows , my left hand grips the top of the putter with my thumb on top , left arm pointing down the line, my right hand hangs down and unlike some who grip it in thier right palm with a finger down the shaft I prefer the claw grip in my right hand with the grip between thumb and fingers , not gripping the grip but more pinching it like Robert Allenby does with his right hand when he putts. I guess I do anchor the putter in my sternum but not the grip but the back of my finger tips on my left hand. I guess it works as I have cut down on my putts per round and if nothing else the confidence thing helps me out.

Back