Boccieri Heavy Fairway Wood Testers Thread

I'm planning to get out on Sunday for at least nine holes, this time I should have someone to help with the videos, maybe I can improve the quality.

Sorry I haven't been around more lately, I've gotten really busy in the last couple of days.

Quality has been great 3B! I am just hoping the rain will let off a bit so I can actually get my Flip on the range with me. Bought the thing a week ago, and every time Ive been out since, it's been raining.

Alright guys, here's some old and new videos.

Up first, I was trying to see if I get some decent video of ball flight, most particularly the lower launch angle but this video really is only good for the audio. Not the commentary of the guys on the range near me, but the beautiful classic ping sound when the ball is well struck. You'll also see me take some turf as I hit these off the turf...

This next one, is me teeing it up and what looks like making a lot of fading pulls. All in all though, the trajectory is great with some respectable roll here consistently carrying (according to driving range signs) 220 rolling beyond that to about 235-240 with a small fade. I ended with a real bad swing... so I stopped with this recording for a second to collect myself. All in all though, dispersion from these shots when struck consistently was never more than 10-15 yards left to right with the shortest carry of about 200yds and an average of 220. All small fades.

Some more footage of me teeing it up. I've become much more comfortable with this club off the tee. I used to be a big fan of playing my 3w off the deck and my miss would be a hook. Now I'm much more into teeing this club up and hitting a baby fade. This is very consistent, MUCH more consistent than all of my previous 3woods. Could this have to do with the back-weight? Possibly but I'll talk about that more in a bit.

Here is video from my first/original range session with the Heavy 3wood. I can notice subtle differences in my approach... This is off the tee and my first few attempts at it...

These are some of my first attempts at hitting the H3w off the deck.

So at this point in time, the backweight has now become an absolute afterthought when I reach for this club. I was switching back and forth between driver, H3w and 6 iron a few times, and not once did I stop to readjust my swing thought or anything in that capacity because of the backweight. I'm really starting to feel the confidence in this club now, I haven't bagged my old 3wood in 2 weeks. I LOVE the mid/low launch off the deck and off the tee with this club. It feels and as you can hear in the very first video sounds incredible when struck well.

I often referred to my hand position as being affected by the backweight but I really think much like their website states that my body makes a much more consistent motion and I feel a better rhythm and tempo to my swing throughout the bag. Its more noticeable on the range now, but I can feel it coming through in baby steps out on the course too.

My biggest complaint if any is the name. When I tell my buddies about it, and the see "heavy" they're immediately turned off. But when they swing the club, they comment on how its not really that heavy and they can feel the effect on their takeaway and transition at the top. I think with my OTT issues at times, this counterbalance doesn't help that much, but its forgiving enough to limit the big miss even with something like an OTT.

Thanks for the vids, SS. I thought it looked like you were hitting it pretty clean off the deck. Love that sound.

Nice update SS, I am on my way to the course here shortly

Sorry i have been away for a while. I have lots of catching up to do and I haven't swung a club in two weeks. I am going out today and tomorrow so i will be able to post some thoughts Sunday evening.

So at this point in time, the backweight has now become an absolute afterthought when I reach for this club. I was switching back and forth between driver, H3w and 6 iron a few times, and not once did I stop to readjust my swing thought or anything in that capacity because of the backweight. I'm really starting to feel the confidence in this club now, I haven't bagged my old 3wood in 2 weeks. I LOVE the mid/low launch off the deck and off the tee with this club. It feels and as you can hear in the very first video sounds incredible when struck well.
^^ Completely agree, I don't have to make any adjustment either, which was something that had me concerned when I first started testing this club.
Thanks for posting the videos SS! I'm glad to see more and more of them being used in these testing threads. If a picture is worth a thousand words, then a video is worth a whole chapter, or something.

Well I just got home from the course and ended up shooting a +5 40, I could not putt for the life of me today, my iron play was unreal this morning, everyshot was right at the flag, I also hit my driver awesome. I really struggled with the Heavy Wood today, I hit it 3 times and each shot I hit thin, all 3 only got about 15 feet off the ground. I think I was just coming up out of the shot with it for some reason, I didnt hit the range before since I wanted to get out before the scramble so im not sure if I would of been doing the same thing there as well. Every shot went straight though, just thinned them.

I wanted to share a couple links in case you havent seen this, it gives some good info about Backweighting and the swing.
http://boccierigolf.com/innovation/full-swing-technology/
Here is a video of Mr. Boccieri talking about the Control Series
http://boccierigolf.com/stephen-boccieri/

Course Conditions- 60* sunny with a slight breeze out of the north
Testing Purpose- Nothing specific today, just seeing how much it improves my round

Shot 1- Par 4 295 yard dogleg left, I was aiming down the middle trying to hit a high straight shot (dont we all hehe) and felt very confident with the Heavy 5 Wood in my hand, my normal miss with the Heavy Wood has been a pull to the left and at the beginning of the testing it was a chunk or chunk pull left, I never really hit many shots thin with it until today. I hit my shot and cought it very very thin, im talking "anorexic" thin, it got no more than 15 feet of the ground but it was as straight as you could hit a ball, this shot still went 200 yards which I was surprised since the fairways are still soggy from the recent rain and watering them overnight. The Heavy Wood is very forgiving low on the face, it didnt hurt my hands, vibrate up through the shaft, nothing. I ended up hitting a 50*xFT to about 20 feet and 3 putted for bogey(putting was horrible today).

Shot 2- This one is a Par 4 slight dogleg right and 320 yards. I usually hit driver over the trees on the right side of the fairway and draw it back, I decided to hit the Heavy Wood today since hitting the fairway is a must if you dont want a big number on this hole, I also wanted redemption after the first tee shot with the Heavy Wood. I aimed up the right side and put what felt like a decent swing on it, I thinned this one again, same result, straight and only about 15 feet off the ground. This shot still went around 200-210, did I mentioned this fairway wood is forgiving low on the face. I hit a 3/4 PW on my second shot and it was right at the flag, landed on the fringe and hopped up to about 6 foot, I yank the putt left and 2 putt for par.

Shot 3- Par 3 200 yards, today they had the pin up front so I was thinking nice easy swing and choked down a couple inches. You guessed it, I cought it thin again and once again it went straight and ended up rolling off the back of the green into the fringe. I got a video of this tee shot, sorry guys but its the only video of the day, this was the only hole I had time to make one. I did notice on every one of these thinned shots I hit it dead center of the face, just really low on the face. I hit a open 56* SW to 8 feet and 2 putted for bogey. Here is that tee shot.

I will make sure to hit the range in the morning before my round, there is not a tourney or scramble tomorrow so I will have plenty of time to get videos. If you miss low on the face you really need to check this fairway wood out if possible, it is very very forgiving. Another thing I have noticed is I cant tell the difference in weight compared to my 3 wood now, I have gotten use to it so quickly. Tomorrow I am going to focus on staying down on the ball with the Heavy Wood, I am also going to be trying different knock down shots with it, fade, draw, very low, mid, etc. If you have any questions just let me know, I would be happy to answer them. Until next time, 10YardDraw

Last edited:
Thanks for the vids, SS. I thought it looked like you were hitting it pretty clean off the deck. Love that sound.

Same here, love that sound.

Well I just got home from the course and ended up shooting a +5 40, I could not putt for the life of me today, my iron play was unreal this morning, everyshot was right at the flag, I also hit my driver awesome. I really struggled with the Heavy Wood today, I hit it 3 times and each shot I hit thin, all 3 only got about 15 feet off the ground. I think I was just coming up out of the shot with it for some reason, I didnt hit the range before since I wanted to get out before the scramble so im not sure if I would of been doing the same thing there as well. Every shot went straight though, just thinned them.

I wanted to share a couple links in case you havent seen this, it gives some good info about Backweighting and the swing.
http://boccierigolf.com/innovation/full-swing-technology/
Here is a video of Mr. Boccieri talking about the Control Series
http://boccierigolf.com/stephen-boccieri/

Course Conditions- 60* sunny with a slight breeze out of the north
Testing Purpose- Nothing specific today, just seeing how much it improves my round

Shot 1- Par 4 295 yard dogleg left, I was aiming down the middle trying to hit a high straight shot (dont we all hehe) and felt very confident with the Heavy 5 Wood in my hand, my normal miss with the Heavy Wood has been a pull to the left and at the beginning of the testing it was a chunk or chunk pull left, I never really hit many shots thin with it until today. I hit my shot and cought it very very thin, im talking "anorexic" thin, it got no more than 15 feet of the ground but it was as straight as you could hit a ball, this shot still went 200 yards which I was surprised since the fairways are still soggy from the recent rain and watering them overnight. The Heavy Wood is very forgiving low on the face, it didnt hurt my hands, vibrate up through the shaft, nothing. I ended up hitting a 50*xFT to about 20 feet and 3 putted for bogey(putting was horrible today).

Shot 2- This one is a Par 4 slight dogleg right and 320 yards. I usually hit driver over the trees on the right side of the fairway and draw it back, I decided to hit the Heavy Wood today since hitting the fairway is a must if you dont want a big number on this hole, I also wanted redemption after the first tee shot with the Heavy Wood. I aimed up the right side and put what felt like a decent swing on it, I thinned this one again, same result, straight and only about 15 feet off the ground. This shot still went around 200-210, did I mentioned this fairway wood is forgiving low on the face. I hit a 3/4 PW on my second shot and it was right at the flag, landed on the fringe and hopped up to about 6 foot, I yank the putt left and 2 putt for par.

Shot 3- Par 3 200 yards, today they had the pin up front so I was thinking nice easy swing and choked down a couple inches. You guessed it, I cought it thin again and once again it went straight and ended up rolling off the back of the green into the fringe. I got a video of this tee shot, sorry guys but its the only video of the day, this was the only hole I had time to make one. I did notice on every one of these thinned shots I hit it dead center of the face, just really low on the face. I hit a open 56* SW to 8 feet and 2 putted for bogey. Here is that tee shot.

I will make sure to hit the range in the morning before my round, there is not a tourney or scramble tomorrow so I will have plenty of time to get videos. If you miss low on the face you really need to check this fairway wood out if possible, it is very very forgiving. Another thing I have noticed is I cant tell the difference in weight compared to my 3 wood now, I have gotten use to it so quickly. Tomorrow I am going to focus on staying down on the ball with the Heavy Wood, I am also going to be trying different knock down shots with it, fade, draw, very low, mid, etc. If you have any questions just let me know, I would be happy to answer them. Until next time, 10YardDraw

Good stuff 10yard! I agree that the Heavy Wood is forgiving. It's an easy club to hit, would definitely recommend this club to someone who is new to Golf, as the club does all the work for your swing, rather than having to force a swing.

Good stuff 10yard! I agree that the Heavy Wood is forgiving. It's an easy club to hit, would definitely recommend this club to someone who is new to Golf, as the club does all the work for your swing, rather than having to force a swing.

I agree 110% with this, I really think it could help a beginner groove their swing, heck I think it could help anybody really

Playing 18 in the morning, its going to be a perfect day for golf as of right now, hopefully the weather holds off like their saying

Not sure why the video's didn't embed, perhaps I didn't share them properly in youtube? I did notice you can see the ball flight of the very first shot in the first video for about 2/3 of it before it gets too far for the camera to pick truly. That was a mid/low launch that I've now grown to LOVE!

Nice update SS, I am on my way to the course here shortly

Thanks for the kind words fellas.

^^ Completely agree, I don't have to make any adjustment either, which was something that had me concerned when I first started testing this club.
Thanks for posting the videos SS! I'm glad to see more and more of them being used in these testing threads. If a picture is worth a thousand words, then a video is worth a whole chapter, or something.

Thanks man, you've set that standard in this thread for sure!

This is a great idea and point... I have a buddy who just started playing end of last year/this year. I will absolutely get this into his hands and test that theory!

This is a great idea and point... I have a buddy who just started playing end of last year/this year. I will absolutely get this into his hands and test that theory!

That would be a very informative type of test. Looking forward to see the outcome.

Hit some balls at the range today with the Boccieri 3w, and the left to right ball flight was back again, unfortunately. I can't blame it on the club though, because right after that I was hitting big fades, growing to slices, with my 4i. I guess I was getting a little OTT.

The funny part was that I was hitting some fantastic drives with my driver, right down the middle and dead straight, I mean like I would have needed some sort of measuring device to tell if the ball moved at all from the original line of flight.

I only mentioned that because golf is a funny game, based so much on perceptions vs. reality. The Bocceiri 3w is a solid and reliable club, but no club (imo) can completely remove the "human element." So much depends on confidence with a club. Like I have posted before, several times, if you think you can, or think you can't, you're right. I also stated that I would post my results as they happened, the good, the bad, and the ugly. Well, the video I have for today i would call the "ugly." I did hit a few good shots, but mostly balls that were curving too much for my taste. Here it goes:

haha, after looking at my post, I realized on the last shot that I did a little Gary Player imitation without realizing it.

haha, after looking at my post, I realized on the last shot that I did a little Gary Player imitation without realizing it.

Must be something in the air dude, I thinned everything with mine today lol

Nice vid 3B. Tough day but we all have them!

I wish golf was as easy as Tapatalk.

Must be something in the air dude, I thinned everything with mine today lol

haha I forgot about that "in the air" thing. You may be right though, I wonder if i was just swinging too hard because of the cooler air and the balls just not flying as far. lol

Nice vid 3B. Tough day but we all have them!

I wish golf was as easy as Tapatalk.

Thanks, we sure do all have them. I would like to find a way to not have them though. lol

Hey guys I just got back from the course and played 18, I ended up shooting a +1 36 on the front and a 42 on the back for a 78. I have like 4 or 5 videos to upload and some pics then I will get my review up. Great ball striking day with every club in the bag, the Heavy Wood did not disappoint

Hey guys I just got back from the course and played 18, I ended up shooting a +1 36 on the front and a 42 on the back for a 78. I have like 4 or 5 videos to upload and some pics then I will get my review up. Great ball striking day with every club in the bag, the Heavy Wood did not disappoint

Good deal man, looking forward to seeing what you got.
Dang there's a lot of good stuff on THP right now, I need to get off the computer for a while and go play some golf myself.lol

9/11/2011 Heavy 5 Wood Club Thoughts & Range/On Course Update

9/11/2011 Heavy 5 Wood Club Thoughts & Range/On Course Update

Date- 9/11/2011
Course Conditions- 70* 5-10mph breeze out of the west, fairways very wet from watering them overnight
Testing Purpose- Overall Performance
Range Session and 18 Holes Par 71

Hey everybody I just got back a little bit ago from the course and it was a great day. The weather was perfect, the course wasn't to busy, and I hit everything well. I shot a +1 36 on the front and +6 42 on the back for a 78. I had plenty of time to hit the range before my round and got a quick video of the Heavy Wood in action. I hit the first shot a little fat and second to last shot fat, all others were really good IMO. Mostly high and straight and some slight draws which is unusual for the Heavy Wood. Here is that video

I wanted to touch on the shaft of the Heavy Wood since Ive had quite a bit more time to play since mentioning it early on in this thread. The stock shaft in the Heavy Wood is the Aldila NVS 75gram and mine is a Stiff. The NVS is suppose to have the same unmatched performance and incredible feel of the NV but with a slightly higher launch profile and a more responsive tip for those seeking a higher ball flight. To be honest I was not a big fan on the NV, it just didn't feel good to me at all, the NVS is a entire different feel IMO, it feels more stable, not to whippy which I thought the NV was. I am seeing the higher ball flight out of the NVS and I love it, it doesn't balloon, it just gets up quick and flattens out then drops down at a very steep angle, it lands so soft on the greens. I think this shaft is a GREAT match to the Heavy Wood head, it really never feels like its out of control or cant keep up. I think they did their homework when pairing these together.

Durability is something I look for in every club I play. I wanted to mention how durable the Heavy Wood has been so far. On the range in the video I posted above the very first shot I hit fat and actually hit it high on the face right where the paint of the crown meets the face, it didn't leave a mark. The chrome/polished sole is also holding up great, a couple minor brush marks but you get those on any club on the market from any OEM. I was extremely worried the sole would not hold up worth a darn but I was wrong and its just another strong point with this club.

The grip is another part of this club I was worried about when I first received it for testing. It is your standard "Tour Velvet" type grip which I normally dont like due to them slipping in my hands allot! I'm not sure if its the etch pattern on the grip or a different type of rubber but the Boccieri Golf grip is tacky, allot tackier than a "Golf Pride" tour velvet. I usually play NDMC Midsize on all my clubs but this grip is thicker than a normal size grip, not quite midsize but bigger than standard, I have no reason to change it at the moment. Now that I have touched on a couple things I wanted to on to the course we go!

Shot 1- 295 Yard Par 4 dogleg left, As I have mentioned plenty of times in my reviews/updates my stock shot with the Heavy Wood is straight or a slight fade, today was a different story, everything was a slight draw or straight. No matter what shot shape the club is producing it is consistent for the round. I pulled the Heavy Wood and was as confident as ever with it walking up to the tee box, after hitting it on the range I had no reason not to be. I hit a beautiful high draw right down the middle just past the dogleg, the trajectory of this shot was absolutely perfect IMO. This set me up with a 50*xFT into the green, stuck that to 15 feet and 2 putted for par. I got this tee shot and result on video so here it is.

Shot 2- 200 Yard Par 3 with the wind in my face, it played about 5-10 yards longer today with the wind. I pulled the Heavy Wood and stepped up to the tee and tried to visualize my shot(3/4 swing trying to keep it lower) and picked my target which was 10 feet left of the flag since it slopes back to the right toward the pin, I hit a beautiful mid trajectory draw that I thought was going to land left center green right where I picked out, I flew the green, it didn't hit the green and roll off the back like I had happen before, flew it in the air which shocked me with the wind in my face and the 3/4 swing I took. I chipped up to around 2 feet and lipped out my par putt and made bogey. Here is a picture of the result of that tee shot and a video of the tee shot, I really wanted to capture the sound with this one.
911par3result.jpg

Shot 3- Par 5 480 yards today. Sorry no picture or video on this shot but it was a beauty as well. I hit my driver perfect dead center of the fairway and had just over 200 yards left to the green, I was on a severe slop with the ball about 6-8 inches above my feet, I chocked down almost to the bottom of the grip and aimed over the right front green side bunker since I knew this shot was going to draw, hit it great, high draw that landed on the front left fringe. I chipped up to 3 foot and had a nasty down hill right to left putt, I sunk it for birdie, I dont have a doubt in my mind if I didn't hit the Heavy Wood I would not of had a chance to birdie this hole today.

Shot 4- Hole 15 Par 4 403 yards slight dogleg right. I hit a great drive on this hole but on the draw back into the fairway it caught a branch and dropped straight down leaving me 200 yards exactly to the hole, had a slight breeze in my face on this shot as well. The ball was sitting in the first cut of rough and was sitting up nicely, I was debating on whether or not to hit my Rescue11 4/21* or the Heavy Wood but decided on the Heavy Wood and boy am I glad I did, high and straight right at the flag, landed front center and rolled up nicely right behind the pin, missed the birdie putt and made par, slippery right to left putt though so I wasn't to disappointed missing the birdie, I will let the video do the talking.

Shot 5- Hole 18 Par 5 550 Yards dogleg left at around 250-260, I pulled my drive left and ended up in the trees, I had a opening straight ahead but I had to keep it low and make sure I cleared the creek, I have been wanting to try this shot more often with the Heavy Wood and this was the perfect opportunity, I put the ball back in my stance and concentrated on a short back swing and holding off my finish, I hit this shot OK, not as great as I would like but I kept it low under the trees and cleared the creek and that left me in the left side of the fairway with a PW into the green, I was wanting to run it up allot closer thats why I wasn't thrilled about the result but it got me out of trouble so I am happy with it. Hit my wedge to the front of the green missed the birdie putt and made par. 78 for the day.

I'm sorry that I am starting to sound like a broken record but the Heavy Wood is great, it performs 99% of the time I pull it out of the bag. Its forgiving, good distance, amazing sound, amazing looks, great feel, it has it all. I hope you enjoyed the review and until next time, hit em straight! 10YardDraw

In that video of the scorecard I wanted to mention that I really think the Heavy Wood had a big part in my scores today, it got me in position everytime I hit it today. That was the purpose of it I just totally forgot to say that haha

Nice write up 10yard. Good info as always.

Quick question. Do you carry a hybrid? Obviously the Heavy Wood has worked out great for you...do you think that carrying the 5 wood benefits you more than carrying, say, a 3 hybrid?

I've always preferred my hybrid over a 5 wood, and am interested in the heavy hybrid, but if the 5 wood is just as good for me as the 3 has been, then I may need to re-think my setup.

Back