Boccieri Heavy Fairway Wood Testers Thread

Great update WE, really enjoyed the videos, you really look like you have a powerful swing and really get down through the ball. Great job man. Ive been working on that little stinger with my 5 wood, not as easy to do as it is with a 3wood but im getting there
I have really enjoyed learning to hit that shot, it's been fun.

Great stuff guys! Thanks for posting the vids WE, I second what 10yd said, really nice swing.

I have a question for the other testers, have any of you, besides SS I think, had anyone else try the Boccieri 3w? I have explained to quite a few people about how I'm testing the heavy 3w for THP, they all think that's cool, but so far not one person was interested in trying it out. I have been wanting to see how someone who knows nothing about this club would do with it, but so far no takers. Maybe if I taped it up and told them it was a new prototype from (fill in your favorite) OEM, they would be more interested?

Thanks 3B, I think this is the first time I have ever seen my swing on video..?

A guy I play with on Sundays is a huge 3 Wood guy. Just recently started carrying a driver again. His saying was always, "Par 5 = 3 Wood, 3 Wood, Chip, Putt." Funny, cause he is Mr. Consistency with a 3W, and I can never hit one straight. Since putting the Boccieri into play, he refers to it as "My Magic 3 Wood." He hits it quite a bit on the range before we play, and has used it some during our rounds. We have much different swing speeds, with his being slower than mine, but both have consistent results with it.

Hr has a similar golfing philosophy as I do, if something works for your game, game it, who cares what name is on it. Boccieri has made a believer out of me.

Ok i am technicialy challenged so no videos so I will just have to do it the old fashioned way. I have finally started to get this club dialed in and am really starting to enjoy this club. However my take on it is a bit different so bear with me for a bit. I am finding this club a bit shorter distance wise then my previous 5 wood. I am finding however that it is about 5 yards longer on average than my current hybrid. I am consitantly hitting this 5 wood about 215 to 220 off the deck and the dispersion is much tighter than with my hybrid. I am still fighting the occasional hook with this club but more often then not i am hitting a nice low to mid flight with just a slight fade in it. I have found that when i do hook it it is usually as a result of my hands turning over to quick. I am hitting this club much more consistantly than i could ever hit my hybrid, so my 4 wood is back in the bag and the hybrid is out. I have had the chance to hit it several time out of the rough and it has performed well. I will be back out on the course later this week and put in some more time with this club and I will be focusing on more shots out of the rough and off the hard pan that we have alot of out here.

Holy crap you guys are doing a great job. I am still trying to catch up.

Thanks Griff, I'd say you're already caught up, if not past.

Wow this testing has been awesome! You guys are doing good work. The Heavy line is really doing well.

Ok i am technicialy challenged so no videos so I will just have to do it the old fashioned way. I have finally started to get this club dialed in and am really starting to enjoy this club. However my take on it is a bit different so bear with me for a bit. I am finding this club a bit shorter distance wise then my previous 5 wood. I am finding however that it is about 5 yards longer on average than my current hybrid. I am consitantly hitting this 5 wood about 215 to 220 off the deck and the dispersion is much tighter than with my hybrid. I am still fighting the occasional hook with this club but more often then not i am hitting a nice low to mid flight with just a slight fade in it. I have found that when i do hook it it is usually as a result of my hands turning over to quick. I am hitting this club much more consistantly than i could ever hit my hybrid, so my 4 wood is back in the bag and the hybrid is out. I have had the chance to hit it several time out of the rough and it has performed well. I will be back out on the course later this week and put in some more time with this club and I will be focusing on more shots out of the rough and off the hard pan that we have alot of out here.

great writup, sounds pretty much like you are going through the same thing that I am with the 3W

Thanks griff, really appreciate it.

BBB to answer your question the only person that has really been interested in my Heavy 5 Wood was "hitman", another THP'er, I have showed a couple people and even offered to let them hit it but no takers yet

Wow this testing has been awesome! You guys are doing good work. The Heavy line is really doing well.

Thanks. The Heavy Line has really got me thinking. After reading the thoughts on their hybrids and driver, I could definitely see it working itself into my bag.

Thanks. The Heavy Line has really got me thinking. After reading the thoughts on their hybrids and driver, I could definitely see it working itself into my bag.

WE: great job on the videos last night! Really like the sound of that club at impact and makes me even more excited to get that hybrid here.

WE: great job on the videos last night! Really like the sound of that club at impact and makes me even more excited to get that hybrid here.

Thanks. The sound has been, and still is one of my favorite parts of hitting this club. I think I said it in my first review from the range a few weeks back, but when you hit it right, the club is rewarding you with the perfect sound at impact. When you hit it well, you know at impact.

Hey guys just got home from the range and had a pretty good range session, I forgot my phone so I couldnt take any videos. I hit the Heavy Wood really really well, it was so windy today and I was able to keep the ball flight down to a decent trajectory that was just penetrating the wind. I found out when I move the ball to far forward in my stance that is when I will pull hook one, I am finally starting to be able to draw this like a normal fairway wood, still not seeing big hooks or anything. I hope I can play tomorrow or friday if not, Saturday and Sunday definitely

9/13/11 Driving Range Session
88*, No wind.

Got out on the range this evening to hit through the bag a few times. Standard procedure here, warmed up again with the Heavy Wood, then proceeded to move through the rest of my clubs.

It cant be said enough how much I like warming up with the Heavy Wood. Grooving my swing with a nice 3/4 swing really gets me warmed up, and makes the transition through the other clubs very easy.

Was hitting my irons well, and moved back to the BGHW. This was the first time I have been consistently bad with the Heavy Wood. I topped the first few I hit, I contributed that to the fact that I was trying to kill the ball. Readjusted myself, and everything I hit was a push, dead right. I tried to slow down my swing, adjust my stance, looked at my grip. No matter what I did, I was pushing it right. Went back to my irons, hit them well. Tried the Heavy Wood again, and kept pushing it right. I was probably a good 30-40 yards to the right of where I was aiming.

The ball wasnt slicing, I just could not keep it from coming off the face of the club right. With that said, I will transition to what my usual misses are. Obviously, my miss is a push right. A push right is a welcome compared to my usual boomerang slice that I have had in the past. Prior to the range this evening, my misses were not consistent or to be honest, that often. But when I did miss, it was just flying off the face right. Every once in a while I will get a nasty slice thrown in, but that's what I do.

Anyway, obviously my issues tonight were user related, but just found it odd that after being so consistent for the past 3 weeks with the Heavy Wood, tonight I couldnt put a decent swing on the ball to save my life. Interesting how that kind of stuff gets in your head.

One last note, back when the unboxings were going on, a lot of people questioned the durability of the bottom of the club head, especially with it being chrome(ish). So far, it has held up quite nice, and I have swung this club countless times. Obviously, it has it's scuffs, but it's still shiny and looks very nice when wiped down. Here's a quick pic with the iPhone, not the best, but gets the point across.
photo1.jpg

We all have those days WE, I agree the sole is holding up GREAT

WE, I totally feel ya. I've been having some crazy days recently.

Love the updates guys, keep up the great work. I should get some range time to work on my tempo and maybe get 9 in tomorrow and/or Thursday. Hopefully my new tripod stand will be in and I can add some video to my update.

Got to play a round yesterday which is unusual for me for a Tuesday afternoon but hey, not complaining!

Once again used the BGH3w as my driver for the entire round due to the face of my Nickent driver being cracked. Tough course with some tight fairways. Only hit 50% which is unusual for me with this club but a majority of them were just 5-10 feet off the short grass in the second cut so not too bad.

I am realizing that, at least for me, if you hang back on your right side with this club it will be fat city and/or push rights all day long. These were my major misses yesterday off the tee. Not a single one left. Fat ones at least tend to go straight, just with a major distance loss. Every time I hit one that tailed right it was because I did not get to my left side in the stroke and follow through.

I am starting to believe this club is helping me identify some of my major swing flaws because you cannot "cheat" with it.

Anyone else feel this way??

Got to play a round yesterday which is unusual for me for a Tuesday afternoon but hey, not complaining!

Once again used the BGH3w as my driver for the entire round due to the face of my Nickent driver being cracked. Tough course with some tight fairways. Only hit 50% which is unusual for me with this club but a majority of them were just 5-10 feet off the short grass in the second cut so not too bad.

I am realizing that, at least for me, if you hang back on your right side with this club it will be fat city and/or push rights all day long. These were my major misses yesterday off the tee. Not a single one left. Fat ones at least tend to go straight, just with a major distance loss. Every time I hit one that tailed right it was because I did not get to my left side in the stroke and follow through.

I am starting to believe this club is helping me identify some of my major swing flaws because you cannot "cheat" with it.

Anyone else feel this way??

Interesting. You said your misses were tailing right, were the slicing or were you pushing them right?

I am the opposite when it comes to this club, I feel I get away with a lot more with the Heavy Wood than I do with my Superfast 3W. Even when my swing is off, I can still pull off some good shots (except for yesterday, I was just totally off yesterday). My misses are consistently in the same place, but even when a shot isnt dead on, I still get decent results.

Interesting. You said your misses were tailing right, were the slicing or were you pushing them right?

I am the opposite when it comes to this club, I feel I get away with a lot more with the Heavy Wood than I do with my Superfast 3W. Even when my swing is off, I can still pull off some good shots (except for yesterday, I was just totally off yesterday). My misses are consistently in the same place, but even when a shot isnt dead on, I still get decent results.

I had a few push rights and a few slices off of the tee as well as some fatness.
I have yet to really slice this club off the deck which was my major miss with my old Launcher 3w.
Every time I had the swing thought "Ball first" I hit this club great. Helps me get my weight through and fire my hips. When I don't, it's trouble...

I dont think I have pulled this club to the left yet off of the deck, the miss like tdinbr for me is a slice to the right. And that is also the miss with my driver.

However since getting this club and hitting it I am pulling some of my burner 3W to the left suddenly

I dont think I have pulled this club to the left yet off of the deck, the miss like tdinbr for me is a slice to the right. And that is also the miss with my driver.

However since getting this club and hitting it I am pulling some of my burner 3W to the left suddenly

Do you notice a difference in your swing, or possibly swing speed between the two?

Looking forward to hearing how this works out of the rough for you. I have been very impressed with how the Heavy 3 Wood is working out of the rough for me, as typically this is where I would only use my 3 Hybrid, but with the ease I have had hitting out of the rough, I am pulling the Heavy Wood for that shot now. I know it's a reliable shot, and the extra distance over my 3H is a huge plus for me.

What kind of roll out are you getting with your low to mid ball flight?

Do you notice a difference in your swing, or possibly swing speed between the two?

I dont notice a difference and neither does the guy I normally play the round with, hard to say on the speed part of it though. Im not consciously trying to do anything different...but doesnt mean its working out that way

Well I just got home a little bit ago from work and was getting ready to head to the course when I checked the radar, it was getting dark out and holy cow is there allot of rain. There is no way possible to get out today but im playing tomorrow after work. Still get excited everytime I think about hitting this club

9/14/11 Driving Range Session
74*, slight swirling mostly westerly wind from the beach ...a perfect Southern Cali day

I mentioned previously my quick-at-the-top issues and how that was affecting the results of my swing.

As per usual I warmed up with my Callaway Big Bertha 2006 irons. Recently I've been getting a hook or a big draw - not my usual ball flight. I felt a little quick during my transition, however, I was either compensating well or I wasn't quite as quick as I thought. Today my irons were just a slight pull to my left.

Feeling warmed up, but not confident, I pulled the BGHW 3. First couple swings I understood immediately that my transition problem left me open to the right during the swing and my hands were compensating by closing the club face too soon. Over the next five swings I shimmied closer to my good tempo until I just murdered a ball. It felt like a cartoon where the ball is actually yelling through the air: "AAAAAAAHhhHHhhhH!"

I should be getting in a quick 9 tomorrow, so we'll see if I can transition this transition to the course. :) I don't think I could have gotten to this point with out the BGHW.

9/14/11 Driving Range Session
74*, slight swirling mostly westerly wind from the beach ...a perfect Southern Cali day

I mentioned previously my quick-at-the-top issues and how that was affecting the results of my swing.

As per usual I warmed up with my Callaway Big Bertha 2006 irons. Recently I've been getting a hook or a big draw - not my usual ball flight. I felt a little quick during my transition, however, I was either compensating well or I wasn't quite as quick as I thought. Today my irons were just a slight pull to my left.

Feeling warmed up, but not confident, I pulled the BGHW 3. First couple swings I understood immediately that my transition problem left me open to the right during the swing and my hands were compensating by closing the club face too soon. Over the next five swings I shimmied closer to my good tempo until I just murdered a ball. It felt like a cartoon where the ball is actually yelling through the air: "AAAAAAAHhhHHhhhH!"

I should be getting in a quick 9 tomorrow, so we'll see if I can transition this transition to the course. :) I don't think I could have gotten to this point with out the BGHW.

Hopefully it transfers to the course for ya, I think its really cool how the Heavy Wood has helped you groove your swing, it def says something about the product and backweighting technology

Hopefully it transfers to the course for ya, I think its really cool how the Heavy Wood has helped you groove your swing, it def says something about the product and backweighting technology

I really can't express how important this is, 10yd. Not only does the club perform well, but it has helped me improve my swing. I'm under no illusions: I know it takes a while before your brain begins to take a new behavior and adapts to it (building better neural pathways according to some scientists), however, this transition issue - my in ability to isolate and fix it was one of the things that drove me out of golf. I thought I had hit my ceiling and would never get better. I no longer thing that.

If at some point golf technology improves and the BGHW is knocked out of my bag, there is little doubt in my mind that I'll keep this club around to help me groove my swing. Until then, this club is a big winner for me, huge winner. Winner winner chicken dinner.

I'm looking forward to trying the BGHD one day because if that club is as good as this one, wow, I could do some serious damage to my handicap.

On another note: Boccieri Golf really should consider a different name and a new design for the bottom of the club. Being a big advocate of this club and the weighting technology, it is tiresome to have to explain those two elements every time I try to get someone to try the club. I could only imagine how it plays in the marketplace. I'm not saying BG needs to be super splashy or spend a significant amount only that the pie slice isn't very "cool."

Back