Bridgestone J815 Driver Review

I really wish Bridgestone gear was easier to find .

Would absolutely love to hit one of these .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really wish Bridgestone gear was easier to find .

Would absolutely love to hormone of these .

Hormone, eh? LOL

Might know a guy who can send you an J815 to tinker with.....hehe

Don't tease me you bastage!!

Edit: nice auto correct haha hormone....

Don't tease me you bastage!!

Seriously. I don't think the shaft is a good fit for you, but you'd get to get a feel for the head. I can drop it off this weekend.

Getting more and more comfortable with this driver. Better swings are giving me even better spin numbers. Almost ideal now. I think when I get the x stiff it will bring it to perfect.
ca3e9aec96ec73e507932c9da8238928.jpg

Love the sound, and honestly don't even think about the color or graphics anymore. The head shape is perfect and the results couldn't be much better. Particularly on the bad swings.

dude, not sure why you'd change anything about that setup. those are straight bombs! quick question for you: when you did the test drive with the driver, did they send a wrench for you to adjust the loft, or just the club with headcover?

dude, not sure why you'd change anything about that setup. those are straight bombs! quick question for you: when you did the test drive with the driver, did they send a wrench for you to adjust the loft, or just the club with headcover?

They send the wrench with the booklet that explains the adjustments. They also always send a two shaft package with any driver for double the fun.

Well I received my J815 today. It is an 8.5 loft. My J715 is a 9.5 loft. The J815 driver still goes higher. As high as my G30 10.5. The head has 4 grams of hot melt. The difference in feel and sound is night and day.

Based on one range session, the J815 will go immediately in the bag.*

Distance seemed the same but I was hitting the fence with both drivers so I couldn't get a good measure. But based on the flight, I would say the J815 is longer

I have the 3rd Generation Diamana Whiteboard 60 gram shaft in the J815 driver and I am producing bombs. I had three of my longest drives ever on holes that I have been playing on for several years now. I know these holes like the back of my hand so I know my distance. The head helps line up your shots. Like everyone who has hit this driver states, you quickly forget the red color.

Last edited:
Glad you're getting on well with it, its a hell of a head.

Glad you're getting on well with it, its a hell of a head.
After longing for LH equipment from Bridgestone forever, of course they would release a LH driver and it's not the one that would work for me. Would absolutely love to play this bad boy. Have heard nothing but awesome things about it. Looking forward to seeing people mash these on the range and on course next week.

After longing for LH equipment from Bridgestone forever, of course they would release a LH driver and it's not the one that would work for me. Would absolutely love to play this bad boy. Have heard nothing but awesome things about it. Looking forward to seeing people mash these on the range and on course next week.

Time to switch hit. It's much better to not play golf backwards.

Just ordered a test drive of this driver in 10.5 with the stock shaft and another with the RIP Alpha, both in regular. It's time to figure out whether there's any reason to move away from the SLDR and I think the test drive will give me enough time for that.

Just ordered a test drive of this driver in 10.5 with the stock shaft and another with the RIP Alpha, both in regular. It's time to figure out whether there's any reason to move away from the SLDR and I think the test drive will give me enough time for that.
Good move! Something tells me your going to hate sending it back when your 21 days are up.

If you like the shaft, you will LOVE this head!

With all of the guys at Legacy that gamed this, including me, I don't think there was a single one that didn't come away impressed with this driver. I even heard some of the guys who went with the J715 saying I wish I went with the J815 or I will also be picking up a J815. It's just such a solid, forgiving and great all around head for so many golfers! I cannot say enough how much I love this driver. It's pretty good at finding the fairways for everyone too.

Told ya so.

:alien:

I'm neck deep in Bridgestone drivers right now. I've been gaming the 10.5* J715 since March and love the heck out of that thing. In fact, when we placed our orders for #THPLegacy I immediately opted to go with the 9.5* head in the J715. Then I made the mistake of hitting JB's 815 demo in Kansas City recently. Aside from my first tee shot of the day it was pound town all day long with the 815!! As soon as I got home I ordered one to tinker with thinking I wouldn't game it much with the crazy graphics on the crown. Well, the heck with that notion! The 815 is now firmly planted in my bag with the AD DI-6S shaft in it. Such a freaking awesome combination!

I've still got the J715 9.5* head and I love that thing, but the 815 is one of those drivers where you don't even have to think about the tee shot. Literally just stand up and hit the ball and it's going to go where you want it to go. And if you're name is greggdrews that basically equates to hitting every fairway in Myrtle Beach! :act-up:
So, you broke down and got the J815 head, huh? Good for you!!

Oh yeah. After that round in KC I couldn't resist the urge!
I don't blame you, not one bit. If I could hit the ball like you were, I would have gotten that club, too!

I received a couple J815 drivers today from the test drive program, one with the stock shaft and the other with the RIP Alpha, both in regular flex. I went to the nearby range and hit both alongside with my SLDR.

Although I hit this driver a lot back in January at Bridgestone U., I didn't remember all that much about it, other than it felt great off the club face and I seemed to get a lot of distance out of it, but I didn't really know how much because there weren't any distance markers from what I could see at the range. And even though my SLDR treats me very well, the tinkerer in me is curious whether there's a longer driver out there with the same or more forgiveness.

At any rate, my initial impressions are:

- on average, I probably saw any where from 5-15 yards more distance, depending on ball contact.

- lots of lateral forgiveness, but I see a lot of lateral forgiveness with my SLDR as well, so was glad it was consistent. I would see a pull from time to time, but again, that's what I get with the SLDR.

- the biggest consideration for me is what happens to the ball when I mis hit it. Which, TBH, is often. Looking at the club face, there were ball marks all over the place. With my SLDR, a mis hit means straight, but loss of distance. That's fine with me because it stays in play. From what I saw with the J815, mis hits did the same thing, but the distance loss wasn't as severe. Exactly what I was hoping.

- I liked the stock shaft better than the RIP. I like both, but the stock gave me more consistency, better distance and less severe misses. It's not surprising, as I am a big fan of the stock shaft in the hybrids and fairway woods.

- I am somewhat concerned about the higher ball flight. Set at 10.5, it's just as high as I see with the SLDR at 12. I'm actually looking for slightly lower ball flight to get some more roll once the ball lands than I'm getting now.

- in general, I don't think I'd have any problems putting this in play permanently right now. No adjustment period, no fitting, no tinkering with the settings. It seems to be a very forgiving head that does well with all kinds of swing speeds.

I still need to get it on the course and see what noticeable differences there are to my current driver. If I'm hitting the center of the club face more often and it's leaving me less club into the greens, then it's obviously a no brainer. From what I've seen thus far, I'm fairly certain that could happen.

I received a couple J815 drivers today from the test drive program, one with the stock shaft and the other with the RIP Alpha, both in regular flex. I went to the nearby range and hit both alongside with my SLDR.

Although I hit this driver a lot back in January at Bridgestone U., I didn't remember all that much about it, other than it felt great off the club face and I seemed to get a lot of distance out of it, but I didn't really know how much because there weren't any distance markers from what I could see at the range. And even though my SLDR treats me very well, the tinkerer in me is curious whether there's a longer driver out there with the same or more forgiveness.

At any rate, my initial impressions are:

- on average, I probably saw any where from 5-15 yards more distance, depending on ball contact.

- lots of lateral forgiveness, but I see a lot of lateral forgiveness with my SLDR as well, so was glad it was consistent. I would see a pull from time to time, but again, that's what I get with the SLDR.

- the biggest consideration for me is what happens to the ball when I mis hit it. Which, TBH, is often. Looking at the club face, there were ball marks all over the place. With my SLDR, a mis hit means straight, but loss of distance. That's fine with me because it stays in play. From what I saw with the J815, mis hits did the same thing, but the distance loss wasn't as severe. Exactly what I was hoping.

- I liked the stock shaft better than the RIP. I like both, but the stock gave me more consistency, better distance and less severe misses. It's not surprising, as I am a big fan of the stock shaft in the hybrids and fairway woods.

- I am somewhat concerned about the higher ball flight. Set at 10.5, it's just as high as I see with the SLDR at 12. I'm actually looking for slightly lower ball flight to get some more roll once the ball lands than I'm getting now.

- in general, I don't think I'd have any problems putting this in play permanently right now. No adjustment period, no fitting, no tinkering with the settings. It seems to be a very forgiving head that does well with all kinds of swing speeds.

I still need to get it on the course and see what noticeable differences there are to my current driver. If I'm hitting the center of the club face more often and it's leaving me less club into the greens, then it's obviously a no brainer. From what I've seen thus far, I'm fairly certain that could happen.

great write up!

The 815 head is fantastic, it should be a must try for everyone this year. I just wish more people could get it in their hands.

The 815 head is fantastic, it should be a must try for everyone this year. I just wish more people could get it in their hands.
You could send it to me and I'll report back :)

Chris this driver is perfect for you. 10.5 head is going to give you what you are looking for IMO. Not to mention whatever greggdrews is seeing with this club is exactly what you will see...your two games are so much the same.

I had the 815 in the bag on Friday during my round with the Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6 shaft in it. Great combo...no doubts there. My only concern right now with the 815 is the higher launch angle compared to my J715 head. I love the lateral forgiveness and the feel is phenomenal, but the launch isn't generating any roll out. I may try out a lower spinning shaft in it this week, as I feel like the spin rate may be hurting my distance. I had several longer approach shots than I'm used to seeing when I had the J715 in the bag. Gonna tinker a little bit and do some comparisons with the J715 over the next few weeks.

I'm loving this driver a TON. Just need to get it dialed in a bit.
You were hitting the 715/Speeder combo really well in Myrtle. Your flight was real nice too...what are you trying to change?

Nothing with the J715. It's my everyday gamer. I'm just tinkering with the 815. Launch is really high and I think I'm getting a ton of spin.
Ahhh. Just don't take that 715 out of the bag... You have a really good thing going with it.
What you're seeing makes sense considering what Bridgestone says they designed the 815 for...maybe loft it down?

Back