Bridgestone J815 Driver Review

I had the 815 in the bag on Friday during my round with the Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6 shaft in it. Great combo...no doubts there. My only concern right now with the 815 is the higher launch angle compared to my J715 head. I love the lateral forgiveness and the feel is phenomenal, but the launch isn't generating any roll out. I may try out a lower spinning shaft in it this week, as I feel like the spin rate may be hurting my distance. I had several longer approach shots than I'm used to seeing when I had the J715 in the bag. Gonna tinker a little bit and do some comparisons with the J715 over the next few weeks.

I'm loving this driver a TON. Just need to get it dialed in a bit.

Same here but I'm also coming to the conclusion that part of the reason for me generating so much spin is swing related. I am still tinkering with the settings.

You could send it to me and I'll report back :)
I've got one you can try for as long as you'd like. It's a 10.5. But hopefully you have one of your superman shafts thst will fit it. Mine is a R.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I've got one you can try for as long as you'd like. It's a 10.5. But hopefully you have one of your superman shafts thst will fit it. Mine is a R.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

If you ever want to sell the head let me know.

Hey Orange Hog

I have the J715 9.5 with Tour AD-DI 6s shaft and a J815 8.5 with a 3rd generation Diamana Whiteboard 60 gram shaft and a Fujikura Fuel shaft. The Fuel shaft is what you need. It lowered my flight and spin.

The J815's go high. My 8.5 is higher flight than the J715 9.5.

Another driving range session, this one off grass with regular tees. A few additional thoughts:

- I lied. I like the Rip Alpha much better than the stock shaft. It's lowering ball flight to where I want it and I'm seeing a lot more distance. Both carry and roll. The stock shaft was giving me higher flight and at times, too high, depending on the swing.

- My miss is still a pull. It doesn't hook, it just shoots 25* to the left of where I'm aiming. A total swing issue, but hey, at least the club head is square! But really, I'd say I saw this miss 1 out of 7 swings. Optimistically, I think I can groove a swing that takes this miss out of the equation.

- Comparing this with my SLDR, I did some finagling and lowered the loft to 11* on it. While my good swings were getting out there where the RIP was, the less than ideal shots were the difference. With the SLDR, I saw loss of distance albeit straight (which is fine by me), but with the RIP, the miss was typically a lower ball flight but straight, giving me more roll out and overall more distance than the SLDR misses. Also with the SLDR, I was getting some weird wild misses I had not seen at 12*. Either way, the J815 with the RIP was giving me the most consistency and putting me in the best position for a second shot on the misses.

At this point, I am putting the RIP in play at 10.5 at some point this week. After I tee off with it (if I'm able) I'll hit the SLDR and compare where the tee shots are. Hopefully I'll be able to get in a few rounds this way to figure out if a change is warranted. But it was certainly a fun time at the range seeing such a boost in distance. For every swing with the J815 regardless of the shaft, I found the driver easy to hit well. While I'm trying my best to fine tune and get my optimal set up, I think this driver has the ability to improve the tee games of many.

Another driving range session, this one off grass with regular tees. A few additional thoughts:

- I lied. I like the Rip Alpha much better than the stock shaft. It's lowering ball flight to where I want it and I'm seeing a lot more distance. Both carry and roll. The stock shaft was giving me higher flight and at times, too high, depending on the swing.

- My miss is still a pull. It doesn't hook, it just shoots 25* to the left of where I'm aiming. A total swing issue, but hey, at least the club head is square! But really, I'd say I saw this miss 1 out of 7 swings. Optimistically, I think I can groove a swing that takes this miss out of the equation.

- Comparing this with my SLDR, I did some finagling and lowered the loft to 11* on it. While my good swings were getting out there where the RIP was, the less than ideal shots were the difference. With the SLDR, I saw loss of distance albeit straight (which is fine by me), but with the RIP, the miss was typically a lower ball flight but straight, giving me more roll out and overall more distance than the SLDR misses. Also with the SLDR, I was getting some weird wild misses I had not seen at 12*. Either way, the J815 with the RIP was giving me the most consistency and putting me in the best position for a second shot on the misses.

At this point, I am putting the RIP in play at 10.5 at some point this week. After I tee off with it (if I'm able) I'll hit the SLDR and compare where the tee shots are. Hopefully I'll be able to get in a few rounds this way to figure out if a change is warranted. But it was certainly a fun time at the range seeing such a boost in distance. For every swing with the J815 regardless of the shaft, I found the driver easy to hit well. While I'm trying my best to fine tune and get my optimal set up, I think this driver has the ability to improve the tee games of many.

I think the j815 will be a great driver for you and will be a better option than sldr. The rip is a good shaft. Good luck in the fine tuning part and getting what works for you.

So I'm getting the most out of this test drive as I was able to play a round today and exclusively used the J815 with the RIP Alpha. What I saw at the range yesterday definitely transferred over to the course, as I was longer off the tee and was hitting the ball very consistently. There were even a few holes where I was able to get it to turn the way I wanted, so my confidence was through the roof with the club. While I wanted to square it off against the SLDR on each hole, I ended up playing with a threesome so it wasn't feasible. But right now the biggest difference between the clubs is I'm able to put a much bigger swing with this club and see great results whereas with the SLDR I'm finding fairways but am left with longer second shots. I played this course a couple months ago from the same tees and remember what I hit on those second shots and here's a few I can remember. First/Second: 8i - today (PW); Third: 7i (today 8i); Thirteenth: 7i (today PW); Fourteenth: 8i (today 56*). I had two misses. One was a big old cast and the ball went high up and short (but still fairway) while the other ball was hit well and long, but went straight and OB when it needed to go to the right to get on the fairway.

Again, I feel I could put this in my bag right now and instantly improve my driving. It was a lot of fun getting more distance than what I'm used to and had the confidence to pull driver even with very little landing areas. It's a very good driver and may very well end up unseating the SLDR. I think the head is forgiving in terms of providing distance on off center hits and laterally. While I think either shaft would be a good fit for me, my affection for the RIP is growing.

Hit golf4life's J815 10.5* with Graphite Design AD-MJ 6x yesterday on #18 yesterday after hitting a good drive with my own driver, and proceeded to smash it about 20 yards past my own drive to about 280 yards. Feels awesome off the face and just wants to go straight. Welcome to Hawkponder land lol...too bad that shaft is about $400!! :bulgy-eyes:

Hit golf4life's J815 10.5* with Graphite Design AD-MJ 6x yesterday on #18 yesterday after hitting a good drive with my own driver, and proceeded to smash it about 20 yards past my own drive to about 280 yards. Feels awesome off the face and just wants to go straight. Welcome to Hawkponder land lol...too bad that shaft is about $400!! :bulgy-eyes:

Hahaha, NICE! It really is one of the most complete heads released this year.

I also took a swipe with Brett's J815. Boom pretty much sums it up.

Another range session today and I've reached the conclusion it doesn't matter what shaft is in, this driver is a monster. I'm simply getting more and easier distance and am able to swing harder compared to my current driver.

On Friday, I had the driver in play and was having issues keeping it straight, but realized it was a swing issue, as I was swinging out of my shoes. Regardless, I still was getting more distance than I'm used to. That said a lot to me, as I'm often more curious how I'll hit a club when my swing is off than when it's on.

I have a tournament tomorrow and might put the Fubuki in play for comparison sake. Either way, I see this driver helping my scores go down, as I my approach shots will be closer and should see GIR's. That's the plan at least.

Another range session today and I've reached the conclusion it doesn't matter what shaft is in, this driver is a monster. I'm simply getting more and easier distance and am able to swing harder compared to my current driver.

On Friday, I had the driver in play and was having issues keeping it straight, but realized it was a swing issue, as I was swinging out of my shoes. Regardless, I still was getting more distance than I'm used to. That said a lot to me, as I'm often more curious how I'll hit a club when my swing is off than when it's on.

I have a tournament tomorrow and might put the Fubuki in play for comparison sake. Either way, I see this driver helping my scores go down, as I my approach shots will be closer and should see GIR's. That's the plan at least.
Sorry about Friday

You were definitely getting some nice consistent distance with it.

I have put buying this on hold for a bit as I really want to try it out on a monitor before I drop the money on this club. I have looked at the test drive program, but I can't get over tying up $$$$ for 21 days. You guys are sure making it tough to hold out, and not purchase blindly.

I found an amazing deal on a 12* head with a Kuala White shaft on eBay and made a bid I thought would never win... well it did. I am going to need to check to make sure it is legit, but I am thinking it is after I asked the seller some questions.

I think the head and the launch of the shaft will be too high, but will test it out. When I get it, I want to get on a launch monitor along with my X2 Hot and X Hot to do a little comparison.

Will update once I get it in hand (hopefully by Wednesday since it is shipping from San Jose).

Sweet congrats on your purchase.

Quoting this because after today I am 100% convinced that this is the perfect combo for me.

Absolutely pounded the ball all day. Got my flight down even on shots higher on the face and spin was very obviously reduced as the ball was rolling out way more than my last outing with a different shaft.

This one is permanently locked down in the bag for good.

But "its so ugly and too spinny for me" Hehe hows the crow tasting? :)

But "its so ugly and too spinny for me" Hehe hows the crow tasting? :)

The thing looks like Optimus Prime's bad childhood Halloween costume, but damnit I'll take a delicious helping of crow after one swing with Bret's.

Quoting this because after today I am 100% convinced that this is the perfect combo for me.

Absolutely pounded the ball all day. Got my flight down even on shots higher on the face and spin was very obviously reduced as the ball was rolling out way more than my last outing with a different shaft.

If and when you get sick of it, let me know. I know a guy.....

Glad you got this figured out, I can only imagine what this will do for your game.

I didn't like my Fuji Fuel shaft in my J715 head. But with the J815 head, it just flat out performs. I have played the J15 cb's the longest of any iron set now. The J815 will finalize my bag for the rest of the season and quite possibly next year.

And it's settled. I'm going with the RIP Alpha and looks like this will get cozy in my bag. Played in a tournament today and hit this tremendously well. I was definitely swinging too hard on Friday and this makes 5 different days I've been really happy with what I've seen. And being able to hit it well in tournament conditions was very encouraging.

It has a great sound and the lateral and distance forgiveness on it is staggering.

Bridgestone is taking over my bag and I'm pretty happy about it.

And it's settled. I'm going with the RIP Alpha and looks like this will get cozy in my bag. Played in a tournament today and hit this tremendously well. I was definitely swinging too hard on Friday and this makes 5 different days I've been really happy with what I've seen. And being able to hit it well in tournament conditions was very encouraging.

It has a great sound and the lateral and distance forgiveness on it is staggering.

Bridgestone is taking over my bag and I'm pretty happy about it.

My bag full of Bridgestone is happy to hear this. I wish you still had Minnesota still on your list of states to cross off.

My bag full of Bridgestone is happy to hear this. I wish you still had Minnesota still on your list of states to cross off.

It is! Still need to get there and hopefully you'll be involved.

Back