Ill admit I laughed out loud that you put Brady and Manning and not Cam Newton. No idea why I found it funny, but I laughed. haha

Not sure what you mean, clearly Cam is a model citizen. I don't think he has even been accused of wrongdoing.

But yeah, definitely can be added to the very long list.

In light of what was just revealed do you think it's purposeful? Living and operating with mental issues can't be tough. If know where his behavior is generated from doesn't that make you more sympathetic to his actions on the course.

No, because people can and do have issues/demons with being in crowds and handle them 100x better than Bubba. He's supposed to be a professional yet doesn't act like one time and time again. A quick search has his net worth at about 30 million. If it was so terribly horrible, he would have already retired from competitive golf.

Big crowds and big pressure come with the territory of making millions on tour. If he doesn't like it, fine -- move on... but don't ask me to sympathize for using his 'demons' as a crutch for being a dbag.

Wasn't Tiger and Steve Jobs know to be jerks also to folks, just mean, bad tipping, etc. Just seems to come with the make up of some people who can "think outside the box".

I have been around quite a few Engineers that were just ugly people but amazing at their jobs. My tax Accountant is a miserable person, but no one else is touching my money.

Generalizing but there could be something to it or like others have said they just enjoy being a**holes.

Tiger is out of his mind. They had to make their own classification to justify his antics (see: competitive fire.... lol) and he still got/gets absolutely slaughtered for it.

The difference between these two individuals is that Tiger obliterated the field on the regular. Bubba does not. Not even marginally.

In light of what was just revealed do you think it's purposeful? Living and operating with mental issues can't be tough. If know where his behavior is generated from doesn't that make you more sympathetic to his actions on the course.

Lots of people live with and suffer from severe emotional and psychological issues. He seems almost resentful of the fact he's successful and wealthy and we should feel sorry for him.

I guess you can get arrogant when you win more times in a year than most (or a big combination of all of them) will in a lifetime.

Boy I sure miss watching him on TV, he would try and pull off shots that these new kids just can't even see, well except for the Bubba tool. He sees them and makes them (see The Masters hook shot).

I guess you can get arrogant when you win more times in a year than most (or a big combination of all of them) will in a lifetime.

Boy I sure miss watching him on TV, he would try and pull off shots that these new kids just can't even see, well except for the Bubba tool. He sees them and makes them (see The Masters hook shot).

I think part of Tiger's issues were that it took him a long time to really, genuinely get challenged. It seemed like for quite a few years, if he played well, the tournament may as well have had a bow wrapped around it. Assuming the 70ish wins in around a decade after he really got going on tour as his prime, I think it comes at little surprise that Tiger became accustomed to being amazing.

Bubba's attitude and tantrums don't really align. They are two different kinds of crazy.

I don't know enough about his particular mental issues to respond to his detractors. But I do know that some people can't cope without meds which make them lethargic and depressed. Some power through and other don't. In the grand scheme of things what one does on TV has no bearing on my life. Hell if I judged people on their short comings I'd be a lonely man.

The difference between these two individuals is that Tiger obliterated the field on the regular. Bubba does not. Not even marginally.

That, and Tiger has never really apologized or tried to make excuses for being a jackass, whereas Bubba has been giving excuse after excuse for why he acts the way he does.

Bubba needs to hang with Snoop, get his relaxation on.

Agreed about Tiger (but I don't buy into the thought that he had no competition, he just destroyed them mentally and with some pretty serious golf), they are not nearly the same and I was only trying to point out that a lot of brilliant folks have issues dealing with people.

Having never met Bubba or JD or any of the other people that are so hated by many, I tend to think maybe they are just like all of us to some extent and heck I would offer that we are not all perfect human beings either all the time. When did being a jagoff become a crime to humanity, his caddy gets paid well and doesn't seem to mind the abuse.

I think part of Tiger's issues were that it took him a long time to really, genuinely get challenged. It seemed like for quite a few years, if he played well, the tournament may as well have had a bow wrapped around it. Assuming the 70ish wins in around a decade after he really got going on tour as his prime, I think it comes at little surprise that Tiger became accustomed to being amazing.

Bubba's attitude and tantrums don't really align. They are two different kinds of crazy.

That, and Tiger has never really apologized or tried to make excuses for being a jackass, whereas Bubba has been giving excuse after excuse for why he acts the way he does.

Yeah he has. I think people just tune it out. Heck I remember his apology after his Masters outburst and that he was "working on it".

Tiger was always a very stoic and reserved competitor who happened to appear infallible. He had a fall from grace and it was a very, very, very long fall.

Bubba has never appeared to be infallible and never pretended to be. He wears his emotions/attitude on his sleeve and what you see is what you get (mental health issues not withstanding).

They seem like very different cases - but neither seems better or worse to me. They're both talented athletes. They both have personalities. They both have strengths and weaknesses. They're both human.

What is the benefit of demonizing either of them? I suspect they've never personally peed in your cornflakes.

Tiger was always a very stoic and reserved competitor who happened to appear infallible. He had a fall from grace and it was a very, very, very long fall.

Bubba has never appeared to be infallible and never pretended to be. He wears his emotions/attitude on his sleeve and what you see is what you get (mental health issues not withstanding).

They seem like very different cases - but neither seems better or worse to me. They're both talented athletes. They both have personalities. They both have strengths and weaknesses. They're both human.

What is the benefit of demonizing either of them? I suspect they've never personally peed in your cornflakes.

It must be hard to watch a football game and root for both teams. :D
Do you watch OJ highlights and root for him? :D

Everybody has a threshold on what they are willing to tolerate to root for athletics. For some they have to murder, rape, etc. For others they just have to be a**holes.

Agreed about Tiger (but I don't buy into the thought that he had no competition, he just destroyed them mentally and with some pretty serious golf), they are not nearly the same and I was only trying to point out that a lot of brilliant folks have issues dealing with people.

Having never met Bubba or JD or any of the other people that are so hated by many, I tend to think maybe they are just like all of us to some extent and heck I would offer that we are not all perfect human beings either all the time. When did being a jagoff become a crime to humanity, his caddy gets paid well and doesn't seem to mind the abuse.

That is the counter argument, Jim. I have a job. If I throw tantrums at my job, I get fired.

Also, there are loads of pros who, at least on television, keep their composure and act... "professionally." Why do we accept or tolerate those who don't?

...the short answer is we don't (at least not all of us). That's why Tiger gets it. That's why Spieth gets it. And that's why Bubba gets it.

Everybody has a threshold on what they are willing to tolerate to root for athletics. For some they have to murder, rape, etc. For others they just have to be a**holes.

It must be harder to spend three hours watching a football game and spend the entire time rooting against one person.

I'm not asking anyone to start liking Bubba, nor am I even saying he isn't an asshole. I just think that there are some people so consumed with their dislike of the guy that they can't see the forest through the trees.

Way off topic, but I finally watched the OJ special this weekend, watching everyone support him was mind blowing to me. Living in white America as a kid, I had no idea anyone thought he didn't do it.

i very much agree that sitting down, having a beer with them and some get-to-know-you type interaction with cameras and mics off and no media exposure, they're probably all good guys.

no, we are definitely not all perfect. we could piece together a list of posts made by some of the more well respected thp members that would undoubtedly frame them as grade a a**holes. they aren't, they're super guys. just saying that we are not all always gentle teddy bears.

i actually have a little different take on the caddie abuse. have you ever watched a guy chunk a shot then immediately look down at the divot in disgust? as if some imperfection in the ground caused it? how about when they hit a terrible putt, then start gesturing like some grain or spike mark made them miss the putt? no way it was the stroke, had to be something else. these guys CANNOT for one second accept that they did something wrong, because as soon as they do doubt can creep in and the razor's edge between making or missing cuts tips the wrong way. i forget where it was, but i read an article by a caddie who said part of his job was to take blame for mistakes, or offer other alternative explanations for bad shots because he couldn't let his guy get into the mindset that as a player he was responsible for bad golf. that spelled disaster to the psyche and a potential end to a career. so if jordan has to berate greller for a bad yardage or club selection, or bubba has to do the same, then that's what it takes for them to continue to believe in themselves and make money. and in that 60 minutes piece, bubba's caddie ballparked that 80% of players abuse their caddies. bubba's just happened to be picked up on camera a time or two.

It must be harder to spend three hours watching a football game and spend the entire time rooting against one person.

I'm not asking anyone to start liking Bubba, nor am I even saying he isn't an asshole. I just think that there are some people so consumed with their dislike of the guy that they can't see the forest through the trees.

Isnt that the nature of all sports? Root for and root against?
You like him...Great
Others dont...Thats great too.

I will never understand the defense of a guy that openly says hes kind of a d-bag and here are the reasons. Doesnt mean everybody has to hate him. Doesnt even mean anybody has to.

Yeah he has. I think people just tune it out. Heck I remember his apology after his Masters outburst and that he was "working on it".

I've seen him apologize (with no excuse) for his actions on the course (mainly cursing and club slamming) and the whole sex scandal, but as far as just him being a jackass and not as engaging with fans and media as other tour pros, I can't remember him ever apologizing or making excuses for that.

Isnt that the nature of all sports? Root for and root against?
You like him...Great
Others dont...Thats great too.

I will never understand the defense of a guy that openly says hes kind of a d-bag and here are the reasons. Doesnt mean everybody has to hate him. Doesnt even mean anybody has to.

That's just it - never in all these pages have I defended him for the times he's acted like a d-bag. I'm not crying "Leave Bubba alone!"

But there is a line between Shooter McGavin and OJ Simpson, and I think the competitive hatred/dislike some people feel can blur that line from time to time.

That is the counter argument, Jim. I have a job. If I throw tantrums at my job, I get fired.

Also, there are loads of pros who, at least on television, keep their composure and act... "professionally." Why do we accept or tolerate those who don't?

...the short answer is we don't (at least not all of us). That's why Tiger gets it. That's why Spieth gets it. And that's why Bubba gets it.
As a Sales Manager, I have to deal with people every day and a lot of them are jagoffs and don't try to hide it.
It was a learned skill to be able to turn the other cheek and keep their Business. It really was the most difficult thing to learn as my gut instinct was to punch them in the mouth.
I guess a whiny golfer on TV is no big deal to me anymore no matter who he is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

As a Sales Manager, I have to deal with people every day and a lot of them are jagoffs and don't try to hide it.
It was a learned skill to be able to turn the other cheek and keep their Business. It really was the most difficult thing to learn as my gut instinct was to punch them in the mouth.
I guess a whiny golfer on TV is no big deal to me anymore no matter who he is.

But based on what you are saying, shouldnt you not call them that? Shouldnt you embrace them for who they are, because they might have some emotional issues? :act-up:

Ha, the people I am dealing with just enjoy abusing Salesman and take pride in being a**holes. It is like a right of passage for them.

Ha, the people I am dealing with just enjoy abusing Salesman and take pride in being a**holes. It is like a right of passage for them.

Way off topic, but those people need a good thrashing to get that attitude out of them.

I am starting to feel differently about Bubba and his quirks. Instead of us as a consumer public wanting him to change and work on his "demons", I think it might be time to just accept that this is who he is. He is a nice guy most of the time, but when stressed he turns into a bit of a Richard. It just is who he is. Instead of wanting him to take pills, see a doctor, change who he is, maybe just embrace (lack of a better word) that he isn't cuddly when he is under some heat.

Well said.

Back