Budget Golf Ball Shootout

gbigoose1

Reaction score
Handicap
This spring I'm looking for a new golf ball that is not super expensive but still has pretty good quality. The top price is going to be 30$ and anything below that is fine. I obviously can't do this test until the spring, but I can start looking around and getting what I need. Note- Obviously, the ball market fluctuates often, (yearly at least) but I think I can still give an idea on who makes quality balls for a good price. If anyone thinks this is a good idea, Please leave comments below as if there is any interest I fully intend on doing this. Here are couple of my ideas already

Wilson Staff C:25 $20-22
Srixon Trispeed Tour $25
Top Flite Gamer V2 $20
Titleist Nxt $25
Bridgestone E Series $25-30

The biggest Problem I can see with this test is a company discontinuing a ball, so even if you found one that works, it's basically gone. So if anyone thinks this is a good idea or has comments or suggestions, please say something!

What are you looking for in a ball? Post that and that should help a lot of us give you some solid info to start.

Thing is I don't really know. I pretty much use whatever right now, I have never stuck with one ball since the box ran out. I guess I'm looking for something I can pay for without throwing down 40-50 dollars every two weeks or whatever and still performs. Doesn't even need to be spinny, which a lot of people look for. I just want something consistent that I can play and get used to, so I think a test like this would be nice.

Thing is I don't really know. I pretty much use whatever right now, I have never stuck with one ball since the box ran out. I guess I'm looking for something I can pay for without throwing down 40-50 dollars every two weeks or whatever and still performs. Doesn't even need to be spinny, which a lot of people look for. I just want something consistent that I can play and get used to, so I think a test like this would be nice.

Your not the only one man. I havent had just 1 ball that I play ever.

Ok here is a good run down of some low priced balls..
Prices might be a dollar to 4 dollars off depending on where you go.

Wilson zips $10 Testing these right now, cant beat that price. Good ball

E6- $27 Very Very Very good ball, cant go wrong here

E7- $27 never played but here it performs as adviertised

E5- $27 ditto to above statement

Callaway HX Hot Plus- $25 Never played this or the bite, but know a few members that like them

Callaway HX Bite- $30

Nike one tour and one tour d- $30

Srixon Z star- $30 Top caliber ball for a very good price, ALMOST as good as the penta for me

Srixon trispeed- $18

Taylormade Burner- $20

Taylormade Burner tour- $22 This was the TaylorMade test ball, it is excellent. Highly reccomend you start with this one, may not have to go to far in your search.

Taylormade burner Tp- $20 Also a very good ball, testing it out right now

Titleist NXT & NXT tour- $25-$29 Heard very good things about these 2

If I had to reccomend 2 balls for you to start with they would be

Burner Tour
http://www.golfgalaxy.com/TaylorMade-Burner-Tour-Golf-Balls-2011---12-pack/BURNERTOUR2011/product

Bridgestone E series based on what you need for your game (e6 shown here but just scroll your mouse over products to view the specs for the other 2)
http://www.bridgestonegolf.com/product/balls/e6

Hey thanks for taking the time bridges, i appreciate it! Another brand I'm starting to look into is Maxfli. They've released a new series and I've even heard they're pretty good. ( And no not just from the Maxfli website haha) http://www.maxfli.com/#/CompareBalls

Bridges, I just reread your post, where do you find the zstars for 30!? That really caught my attention

Hey thanks for taking the time bridges, i appreciate it! Another brand I'm starting to look into is Maxfli. They've released a new series and I've even heard they're pretty good. ( And no not just from the Maxfli website haha) http://www.maxfli.com/#/CompareBalls

No problem! I have played a few MaxiFli's before but its been so long ago and I had no clue back then so I cant really tell you how they're. Trust me, if you stick around and just read all the threads on here about different balls you will have a very good idea of were to start. I have learned a ridiclous amount of stuff in the time I have been here. To be honest when I first started playing I played whatever ball I found in the woods that had a cool logo or that I thought was suppose to be a good ball. I used to buy that walmart 48 balls for $15 special they had for the longest time lol

Bridges, I just reread your post, where do you find the zstars for 30!? That really caught my attention

Currently Srixon is doing a 2 dozen for $60 bucks.

I've done that kind of 48 for 15 special to and normally it's not great. It's not that I'm brand new to golf balls hahah. I've played prov's and nike platinums and tours and If I had the resources to pay that much I would. So I'm going to take your suggestions to heart, but I do want to try those zstars.

EDIT- thanks for the link!

I've done that kind of 48 for 15 special to and normally it's not great. It's not that I'm brand new to golf balls hahah. I've played prov's and nike platinums and tours and If I had the resources to pay that much I would. So I'm going to take your suggestions to heart, but I do want to try those zstars.

EDIT- thanks for the link!

Ya Z-star is a good ball, no doubt. Goodluck in finding one your game!

Don't forget the ubiquitous Noodle. $10 - $15 per dozen.

Gamer v2 is on sale at Target for $13.98 a dozen. I think I saw e6 also there one sale, but I am not sure.

My first suggestion would be to check out the BFit link at the top of the page and tell what you are looking for. Many other ball manufacturers have a online tool as well. I don't think they are anywhere near as good as a live person, but they might be of some help. Another thing to consider after you find the ball you like it so check out www.knetgolf.com to save some money.

My first suggestion would be to check out the BFit link at the top of the page and tell what you are looking for. Many other ball manufacturers have a online tool as well. I don't think they are anywhere near as good as a live person, but they might be of some help. Another thing to consider after you find the ball you like it so check out www.knetgolf.com to save some money.

Have to agree with everything Hawk just said. Bfit is awesome. and getting used balls can save you a tone of money.

I guess my question would be this. You should pick a driver based on launch numbers, pick a shaft based on launch numbers, why not pick a ball based on actual fitting too?

Agreed. Check out the bridgestone link. You get to speak with an expert and they can really help you get dailed in. Its fun to do a ball shootout, believe me I have been there!! But, it's also very frustrating and can do a lot to mess with your game. Almost psychs you out. If you have a Golf Galaxy or PGA Superstore in the area, they both offer ball fittings too.

I have tried everyball on your list minus the C25's. For the money, you can't beat Zips, E6 or Taylormade Tour Burner. All great balls imo!

Still, getting fit is the best way. Online may seem odd at first, but the Bstone reps are amazing when it comes to talking golf balls. Have no fear :)

I play the Srixon Trispeeds and love them.I am now testing a sleeve of each of the Zstar yellows and the Zstar x yellows just because I love the color this time of year.Easy to follow and find.I sure hope Srixon goes yellow on the Trispeeds because they seem to be best for me according to their ball fitting and my play and they are less expensive then the Zstars .I really like the Bridgestone B330-Rx balls but too expensive for my taste and play.
And Bridges,thanks for the link on The Zstars on globalgolf.

I don't buy budget balls anymore and instead prefer to just buy my preferred balls used like many others have posted. But I find lots of golf balls when the course gets slow (can't stand sitting and waiting) and LOVE to try them all out. Last year my favorite ball I found and tried out all year was the Srixon Trispeed. I really liked that ball.

Also, depending on where you live, check craigslist. I have found some deals on there where people are selling used balls for even less than the lostgolfballs.com and knets of the world. Good luck!

I play the Srixon Trispeeds and love them.I am now testing a sleeve of each of the Zstar yellows and the Zstar x yellows just because I love the color this time of year.Easy to follow and find.I sure hope Srixon goes yellow on the Trispeeds because they seem to be best for me according to their ball fitting and my play and they are less expensive then the Zstars .I really like the Bridgestone B330-Rx balls but too expensive for my taste and play.
And Bridges,thanks for the link on The Zstars on globalgolf.

You might try the e6 in yellow as an alternative. I don't know how it will stack for you compared to the TriSpeeds, but it would probably be worth checking out.

I use Srixon normally but I play a course that is covered in water hazards sometimes, so I switch out to a cheaper ball. I use Nike Mojo, they are dirt dirt cheap (I got 8 dozen for $45 on the Bay). Not sure why they are never mentioned here, unless they are just really low quality. I dont hit them that badly though...

I have played the white E6 ball but I actually prefer the E5 that gives me a slightly higher flight ,but it is only in white.I may have to try the E6 again in yellow.

Mojo's arent bad at all imo. But it if I was looking budget from Nike, the PD Softs are great balls.

So many good budget balls out there imo. In fact, I found it more overwhelming to buy those than shell out $40 for Bridgestones.

I use Srixon normally but I play a course that is covered in water hazards sometimes, so I switch out to a cheaper ball. I use Nike Mojo, they are dirt dirt cheap (I got 8 dozen for $45 on the Bay). Not sure why they are never mentioned here, unless they are just really low quality. I dont hit them that badly though...

I have played the white E6 ball but I actually prefer the E5 that gives me a slightly higher flight ,but it is only in white.I may have to try the E6 again in yellow.

Yea, I play the e5 every now and then. Very soft cover and lots of spin for a midrange ball. Bottom line is we need more balls in yellow!

amen dude!
Yea, I play the e5 every now and then. Very soft cover and lots of spin for a midrange ball. Bottom line is we need more balls in yellow!

Back