Bye Bye Barry - Barry Sanders Story

The best ever at the position, and no one will ever change my mind.

Freaking Lions.
In our lifetime, you have a case. But I would have liked to have seen Bo Jackson just play football and have a full career.

The only thing I think he lacked was the complete high gear breakaway speed. He got run down a lot. But dang was he quick!!!
This is true. He got ran down quite a bit but man those moves he had were next level back then

This is true. He got ran down quite a bit but man those moves he had were next level back then

he could separate faster than anyone..

Yep and for whatever reason and as good as he was his own dad never gave him the credit he deserved. The local radio station used to play a drop that I can still hear in my head today... "yeah he is good, but he's not as good as Jim Brown."
Jim Brown is in his own tier I get it, but two totally different kinds of runners..

In our lifetime, you have a case. But I would have liked to have seen Bo Jackson just play football and have a full career.
Damn hip injury took him from us. Bo was awesome.

Damn hip injury took him from us. Bo was awesome.
Look when you are such a great athlete that you can play MLB too, that’s a different class of pure athlete.

Look when you are such a great athlete that you can play MLB too, that’s a different class of pure athlete.
Absolutely. Deion says hi too haha though not as good as Bo was

I also think that Temco Bowl Bo was so unstoppable, it added to the legend.

Didn’t he do something weird like send a letter that he was retiring?

Gosh now I really want to watch this.
Sent a FAX to his hometown Wichita newspaper.

Yep and for whatever reason and as good as he was his own dad never gave him the credit he deserved. The local radio station used to play a drop that I can still here in my head today... "yeah he is good, but he's not as good as Jim Brown."
Said that at his HOF induction ceremony.

As a Packers fan it was tough to see some of those highlights again, but I always appreciated Barry. No showboating, handing the ball to the referees after every touch down.

And it brought back memories of thinking he was going to be taken down in the backfield, but he was the best at changing directions and going backwards to go forward.
Definitely. Two games I saw Barry at Lambeau stick out to me. One was the 1994 playoff game when the Packers held him to -1 yard rushing on the day. Unbelievable effort. The other was in 1990, when he danced all around the Packers for a bunch of yards and looked like he just couldn't be caught. It was one of the coldest games ever at Lambeau where your beer froze over within minutes and we were all lamenting the fact that the Pack had just drafted that Mandarich dude instead of this kid. :unsure: :mad:

Due to this thread I watched it last night. So good. A few things I knew just from being in the same conference as his team back when and lots of items that I didn't know, very interesting.

Yeah but Bo was an All-Star. Only person to do that in two professional sports.

Checking this out now. So funny seeing the old footage now. Man shoulder pads were huge in the 90s haha

Checking this out now. So funny seeing the old footage now. Man shoulder pads were huge in the 90s haha
I watched it the other day and thought the same thing. Also amazing how many good to great players he made look foolish in it. Reggie White, John Lynch, Lawyer Milloy, Derrick Brooks, Richard Dent

Added to my watchlist

Thought it was a good watch, as I kid I loved watching him play but never really knew what he was about till now and it all makes so much more sense. Also pretty happy he is back around the organization

Think it’s time to turn this one on!!!

Well this didn’t start out how I thought it would. Buckle up…

Herman Moore has those shoes!!! 😂😂🤷‍♂️

Lions solid blue and silver uniforms are the best looking uniforms ever. So clean.

The best ever at the position, and no one will ever change my mind.

Freaking Lions.
He's one of a very select few that were the best ever.

I would've liked to see what Gayle Sayers could've done if he hadn't got hurt. He and Barry Sanders had similar styles in that they seemed to make unbelievable moves while still moving forward at what looked like full speed. Both were the most fun to watch - probably ever.

Jim Brown & Bo Jackson & Earl Campbell were also entertaining - watching them just frigging run over people at times & then outrun them other times.

I think Barry was like Jim Brown in two aspects:
1) he retired before he broke down - could've played longer
2) both were so old school: no talk, no hot-dogging, very classy, very dignified in the way they carried themselves.

Anyone that has Barry as GOAT - I'm OK with that. I'd probably put Brown slightly ahead, but they were both awesome to watch

He's one of a very select few that were the best ever.

I would've liked to see what Gayle Sayers could've done if he hadn't got hurt. He and Barry Sanders had similar styles in that they seemed to make unbelievable moves while still moving forward at what looked like full speed. Both were the most fun to watch - probably ever.

Jim Brown & Bo Jackson & Earl Campbell were also entertaining - watching them just frigging run over people at times & then outrun them other times.

I think Barry was like Jim Brown in two aspects:
1) he retired before he broke down - could've played longer
2) both were so old school: no talk, no hot-dogging, very classy, very dignified in the way they carried themselves.

Anyone that has Barry as GOAT - I'm OK with that. I'd probably put Brown slightly ahead, but they were both awesome to watch
As long as it’s not Emmitt. 😜

• Appreciation
Reactions: Bus
I have not watched it yet. But I loved Barry. No one before or since got to full speed faster.. it was like 2 steps..
See Gayle Sayers

Barry Sanders was great but Emmitt Smith was the best. has all the records and 3 super bowls which they only won because of him. teams knew Dallas was going to run the ball and still couldn't stop him.
:rolleyes: No. He was great for his longevity. No one ran as well for as long, but he's next tier. He was on so much better teams. Swap Barry Sanders for Emmitt Smith on the Dallas teams and he would have same or more Super Bowl wins & more yardage.

And I'm not dissing Emmitt Smith. Definitely an all-time great & worthy HOFer. But Sanders is better - based on eye-test alone

Back