Cable companies - Cutting the cord

Well, I just realized that YouTube TV won't work with Fire TV (that's nearly all we have), so that may be out. Thanks, though.
You can always cast it to your TV via Chromecast or some other hardware. I feel like each of my tvs has three different casting options.

But yeah, I wish the fire hardware would support it. Otherwise Amazon Fire is perfect for me

I have been shopping around for a DirecTV Now replacement for a few days now. It is frustrating because the combination of channels that we watch aren't available on any other provider. I am sure it's a matter of time before DirecTV Now changes my channel lineup to match their new packages. I have never seen a company try to spin offering less for more money as a positive. The kicker is Nickelodeon. My kids watch it all the time. My wife watches a lot of Food Network, Cooking Channel, and Nat Geo. I basically would be fine with the Golf Channel as I don't watch much TV.

I have been shopping around for a DirecTV Now replacement for a few days now. It is frustrating because the combination of channels that we watch aren't available on any other provider. I am sure it's a matter of time before DirecTV Now changes my channel lineup to match their new packages. I have never seen a company try to spin offering less for more money as a positive. The kicker is Nickelodeon. My kids watch it all the time. My wife watches a lot of Food Network, Cooking Channel, and Nat Geo. I basically would be fine with the Golf Channel as I don't watch much TV.
I have looked for a replacement as well, and there isn't a good option if you want Viacom and sports. Looks like I'll cling to my DTVnow until they kick me off, and then will likely head back to cable.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

I have looked for a replacement as well, and there isn't a good option if you want Viacom and sports. Looks like I'll cling to my DTVnow until they kick me off, and then will likely head back to cable.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

I inquired about gigabit internet with Xfinity, and they want to throw in cable for free. I need to look at the channel lineup and compare to DTVNow to see what I miss.

My week of free Hulu Live TV is up and I am not canceling.

Totally satisfied.

The interface via Apple TV has a bit of a learning curve, but I’m liking it more than Youtube TV. Will stick with Hulu I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you and I are in the EXACT same spot. Son loves Nick, wife watches Viacom, I watch mostly sports and other typical shows. No other streaming service combines them quite as well as DTVNOW.

So with the FireStick I was a little annoyed at navigating channels...Until...

"Alexa Play Golf Channel"
"Alexa play ESPN"
"Alexa play TNT"

Mind blown. So simple.

I think you and I are in the EXACT same spot. Son loves Nick, wife watches Viacom, I watch mostly sports and other typical shows. No other streaming service combines them quite as well as DTVNOW.
I know right? I'm kind of wondering how long that will even last. Looks like they really scaled back the channels for new customers. It's got to be a matter of time before they force us on their new plans. Either that or they'll continue to raise the price to make it worth their while.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Cut the cord about 2 weeks ago and haven't had any problems. Using Roku, YouTube TV and Netflix. Saving about a $100 a month. Like that I can subscribe to sunday ticket or center ice packages as well. Not going to miss anything on cable at this rate.

Haven't totally cut the cord but I've been an avid streamer for many, many years. Both streaming live feeds as well as my own media library to different devices within the house. Have used many alternatives to stream within the home including WD TV Live, Roku, Plex (both through my TiVo and through my Samsung TV), and PlayOn to name a few. Some of these devices are getting very long in the tooth and are unable to handle some of the latest codecs that are popular. I've had to transcode in the past to allow streaming on some of these devices but that either takes time up front or requires large processing to transcode during the streaming. I've already got a huge library of TiVo recordings that HAVE to be transcoded for me to stream since the TiVo is a proprietary format. BTW, I use VideoReDo for transcoding my TiVo recordings as that works very well and is pretty fast.

What streaming devices are others using here? I've considered replacing my WD TV Live (easily 10-15 years old) and/or the Roku 3. Anyone have experience with the nVidia Shield? Does it natively handle many of the common formats (h265, for example)? Any other favorite media streaming devices without building a dedicated server?

I know right? I'm kind of wondering how long that will even last. Looks like they really scaled back the channels for new customers. It's got to be a matter of time before they force us on their new plans. Either that or they'll continue to raise the price to make it worth their while.

Now they are going to blackout Viacom on dtvnow dtv and att because they are in a fight. So this has turned into a huge debacle for them. They already lost like 25 percent of their customers last quarter on dtvnow they might as well shut the whole thing down

I truly want to cut the cord when we get to our new location, my preferred internet and cable provider isn't down there so I'll be stuck to one fiberoptic(?) provider, Comcast, who has horrible reputation, service, and charge people incorrect amounts

Still as a new customer they have some decent deals, but not sure what issues I would have if I signed up new and then cancelled in 1 year before they jack up the rate (promo of $60/mo, then the $80/mo for example)..

Or just not even bother and get straight internet and use Hulu tv, YouTube, etc?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Now they are going to blackout Viacom on dtvnow dtv and att because they are in a fight. So this has turned into a huge debacle for them. They already lost like 25 percent of their customers last quarter on dtvnow they might as well shut the whole thing down
My grandfathered package is about to get a lot less channels. They happen to be the channels that keep me from dumping them. Change is a coming I think. At this point, I could switch back to cable and not spend much more while guaranteeing I get all the channels we watch.

I wouldn't be surprised if they we never get it back on DTVnow, while DTV does. If that's the case I'm gone.

I wouldn't be surprised if they we never get it back on DTVnow, while DTV does. If that's the case I'm gone.

I absolutely agree, the timing just seems like their perfect out.

Just a heads up for those with dtv now. If you go to edit your package and click I want to cancel(don't actually cancel) you get a promotion to save 10 dollars for the next 3 months making your package price the same as before.

I absolutely agree, the timing just seems like their perfect out.
The sad thing is, when channels get dropped prices don't go down to reflect that.

My grandfathered package is about to get a lot less channels. They happen to be the channels that keep me from dumping them. Change is a coming I think. At this point, I could switch back to cable and not spend much more while guaranteeing I get all the channels we watch.

That’s what happened for us. After 2-3 price increases for the streaming services we were able to get a cable package that has the channels we want for less than we were paying before.

So funny thing.

When we switched to PSVue nearly 3 years ago, I was saving alot of money over cable, but there were some trade offs. One of the biggest was the UI. It wasn't terrible but I missed the traditional channel numbers etc. Moving to DTVnow didn't make things much better.

But I spent the past two days at the beach using Spectrum cable, and I hated it. Channels were so spread out, I repeatedly selected channels I didn't actually have, and I really missed the "watch now" menu.

Apple is set to intro some potential TV service on Mondee. Hope it is a contender in the space.

So funny thing.

When we switched to PSVue nearly 3 years ago, I was saving alot of money over cable, but there were some trade offs. One of the biggest was the UI. It wasn't terrible but I missed the traditional channel numbers etc. Moving to DTVnow didn't make things much better.

But I spent the past two days at the beach using Spectrum cable, and I hated it. Channels were so spread out, I repeatedly selected channels I didn't actually have, and I really missed the "watch now" menu.

It’s an adjustment, but I find that the streaming UIs are actually really a better way to find what you want once you get used to it, except PSVue. I hate that UI.

Apple is set to intro some potential TV service on Mondee. Hope it is a contender in the space.

That’s going to be really interesting to see. I’ll be paying attention for sure.

It’s an adjustment, but I find that the streaming UIs are actually really a better way to find what you want once you get used to it, except PSVue. I hate that UI.

What device are you viewing Vue on? Fire, Roku, Apple? I ask since the UI differs on all three.

What device are you viewing Vue on? Fire, Roku, Apple? I ask since the UI differs on all three.

I’d have to think back to that, it was early days. Roku I think, but since I didn’t have a PlayStation I couldn’t setup profiles and billing was a nightmare. It may have changed now, but I won’t try it again.

Back