Cable companies - Cutting the cord

Considering trying the trial.
Hulu has gotten better for us over the last 18 months. Early on it buffered during live sports (and some commercials) ALL THE TIME and I was going crazy. Searched around online and it was just a widely known issue.

In the last 9 months it's gotten much better. Still happens here and there but not nearly the same frequency.

Crazy though I hardly watch anything on their anymore. Usually Netflix or prime...and sports on the antenna

With the new price hike I'm considering going back to cable. I was an early adopter for DTVnow, and stuck with it through the buffering issues early on. I pay $40 now for the Go big package, and it's a good deal, at $50 it is still the best deal for me of the streaming providers for the channels I watch, but I don't think it's worth the minor annoyances that come with it at this point. I have a month before the hikes take place, I am looking into the price of a bundle with our two cable options.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Hulu has gotten better for us over the last 18 months. Early on it buffered during live sports (and some commercials) ALL THE TIME and I was going crazy. Searched around online and it was just a widely known issue.

In the last 9 months it's gotten much better. Still happens here and there but not nearly the same frequency.

Crazy though I hardly watch anything on their anymore. Usually Netflix or prime...and sports on the antenna

buffering scares me.

buffering scares me.
It's way better now. It was brutal in 2018 Superbowl and some other big sporting events especially NFL games.
Haven't run into it with golf though. I did however watch most of my football last season on my antenna

It's way better now. It was brutal in 2018 Superbowl and some other big sporting events especially NFL games.
Haven't run into it with golf though. I did however watch most of my football last season on my antenna

Golf isn't exactly a fast paced experience. I bet most of what gets sent is very manageable. Probably why I didn't see any issues during the day.

Hockey on the other hand, is very fast and back and forth. I bet it's a lot more aggressive on the service.

With the new price hike I'm considering going back to cable. I was an early adopter for DTVnow, and stuck with it through the buffering issues early on. I pay $40 now for the Go big package, and it's a good deal, at $50 it is still the best deal for me of the streaming providers for the channels I watch, but I don't think it's worth the minor annoyances that come with it at this point. I have a month before the hikes take place, I am looking into the price of a bundle with our two cable options.

Exactly the same way I feel.

I’m on the opposite end. Even at $50 month for the Go Big lineup I’m saving money. I’m not sure if it’s my region or internet, but I didn’t experience the signal degradation others have commented one. Only a couple of times it wasn’t available and it was later at night so I just went to bed.

Of all the platforms out there I still think DTV Now is one of the top options. Hulu Live seems to be close though.

I’m on the opposite end. Even at $50 month for the Go Big lineup I’m saving money. I’m not sure if it’s my region or internet, but I didn’t experience the signal degradation others have commented one. Only a couple of times it wasn’t available and it was later at night so I just went to bed.

Of all the platforms out there I still think DTV Now is one of the top options. Hulu Live seems to be close though.
$50 is still no doubt the best streaming option for me. With the wife wanting Viacom channels no other single service competes. It's just getting close to the price where it just makes more sense to go back to cable. I have a month to research so we will see.

$50 is still no doubt the best streaming option for me. With the wife wanting Viacom channels no other single service competes. It's just getting close to the price where it just makes more sense to go back to cable. I have a month to research so we will see.

Especially as cable companies get smart and increase cost of internet only subscribers.

We were going to be $59 a month internet and $50 for streaming, plus a few other small costs. Cable company offered us both for $99 because they drop their internet price to $34 with TV package.

Especially as cable companies get smart and increase cost of internet only subscribers.

We were going to be $59 a month internet and $50 for streaming, plus a few other small costs. Cable company offered us both for $99 because they drop their internet price to $34 with TV package.
Yep, when I cut the cord I had faster internet for $15 less than I do now. I'll now be paying $15 more for DTVN than I did originally. I'm not sure I'll get the channels I want with dvr on multiple TVs for the same price I have now, but I bet it's close.

That’s what we did. We are stuck in a 2 year contract but we’re paying $40 less per month than we were with PS Vue and internet.

Yep, when I cut the cord I had faster internet for $15 less than I do now. I'll now be paying $15 more for DTVN than I did originally. I'm not sure I'll get the channels I want with dvr on multiple TVs for the same price I have now, but I bet it's close.

We dont have DVR Boxes from cable company, because we purchased our TIVO box and mini boxes a few years ago and continue to use them.

We've been talking about this. I want to upgrade to gigabit internet for around $90 with taxes and they want to throw in cable for free. We would have to sign a two year deal (not a bad thing to lock the price). I didnt inquire about the channel lineup, but to your point the internet prices are rising for internet users only.

Alright so we came to a conclusion.

$55 monthly for high-speed internet from Frontier
$55 Hulu which has Live TV
Free Netflix

Paid $40 for a Firestick that arrives tomorrow and I'm good to go.

Alright so we came to a conclusion.

$55 monthly for high-speed internet from Frontier
$55 Hulu which has Live TV
Free Netflix

Paid $40 for a Firestick that arrives tomorrow and I'm good to go.

Is the 55 for ad free Hulu? I thought it was 45.

Firestick and Hulu. Zero issues. Clear as day picture. No skipping or delays.

Alright I’m sold.

73f2f792f4708c33e3b68fcfe4362214.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I am trying to look at the Spectrum packages to see about moving back since DTVNOW is going up in price, reminds me why I left. They are so incompetent that they tell me I don't have service available at my address and you have to call because it cant be done online due to being an old Time Warner area they cannot offer anything with their website...Just wow.

I'm with DirecTV Now. Got tired of doing the dance with cable (Spectrum). If the prices keep going up, then I may look at moving. My issue is that my wife likes weird channels that limit our options. If it were just my daughter and I, then I could save a ton. We only watch about 6 channels. Maybe I should get a divorce to save on my streaming bill? :thinking:

Called to cancel and they cut my bill in half. 12 more months with cable it is.

Been monitoring and learning a lot from this thread. For me, I think the first step is replacing the 600-pound projection TV for a modern flat screen. This one is so old there is no USB, HDMI, etcetera. Might be able to get there with converters, but that is pretty messy.

So I’ve now used You tube TV for a number of months but the picture quality isn’t great.

Now thinking to try Direct TV now or Hulu....

We've been with Vue for two years, but we've gotten really bad issues with buffering. Sling doesn't have our locals, and Hulu's interface is not as clean as we'd like. Aside from your picture issues, have you been otherwise satisfied with You Tube for live tv?

We've been with Vue for two years, but we've gotten really bad issues with buffering. Sling doesn't have our locals, and Hulu's interface is not as clean as we'd like. Aside from your picture issues, have you been otherwise satisfied with You Tube for live tv?

Just started my demo of Hulu...so far I like it and I can see what you mean by the interface being. Bit annoying. You tube TV was pretty good to be honest, just felt the pic quality wasn’t great.

Just started my demo of Hulu...so far I like it and I can see what you mean by the interface being. Bit annoying. You tube TV was pretty good to be honest, just felt the pic quality wasn’t great.

Well, I just realized that YouTube TV won't work with Fire TV (that's nearly all we have), so that may be out. Thanks, though.

Well, I just realized that YouTube TV won't work with Fire TV (that's nearly all we have), so that may be out. Thanks, though.

I have an apple TV and firestick and yeah Youtube doesnt work on the fire unless you find a work around. Another reason I’m now digging Hulu.

Back