Cable companies - Cutting the cord

A lot of YTTV users compliment their streaming with Philo, which carries the popular ones that ladies enjoy, that YTTV is missing.
There's a recent newcomer named Frndly which is lower priced than Philo.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Ewww tapatalk :)

I think this is the case for a lot of people, that were not Satellite users. Because the internet cost in most cases goes up substantially without cable.

We just switched to Spectrum Mobile as a Spectrum internet user (Runs off VZW Towers) and our savings are better now than when we priced out and tried cutting the cord on just about every service out there.

Same exact thing for us. My cell phone bill was $47 last month. My wife is still on the ATT cell plan because she has a bunch of international travel coming up, but we are likely switching her over once those are done. Definitely paying less than when we were doing internet plus streaming.

It also helps that Comcast has pretty much all the channels we want in the lower tier.

Really frustrated with Comcast/Xfinity requiring me to call to adjust my account.

I want/need to remove cable and just want to keep the internet as we have the streaming services.

I may switch to RCN as the just internet package is dirt cheap.

We went with Hulu about a year ago and haven't looked back. As long as you have good internet and fast lagging wont be an issue

I'm on 2.5 years without cable. Just use a Roku. I've got about 75 channels/apps on there with Roku Channel, Pluto, Youtube, and Tubi being what I watch most. A lot of B league sci fi/horror movies, Britcoms, ect. Occasionally I'll get Hulu or Netflx or whatever for a month then ditch it. Usually Hulu then gives me another free month. I'm patiently waiting for Disney+ so I can FINALLY watch all the Simpsons again as I haven't seen some of those in years. I have an antenna and get about 25 channels over the air which i barely watch.

I'm on 2.5 years without cable. Just use a Roku. I've got about 75 channels/apps on there with Roku Channel, Pluto, Youtube, and Tubi being what I watch most. A lot of B league sci fi/horror movies, Britcoms, ect. Occasionally I'll get Hulu or Netflx or whatever for a month then ditch it. Usually Hulu then gives me another free month. I'm patiently waiting for Disney+ so I can FINALLY watch all the Simpsons again as I haven't seen some of those in years. I have an antenna and get about 25 channels over the air which i barely watch.

Do you have the golf channel?

We’ve used sling tv for awhile. Trying youtube tv 5 day free trial to compare. youtube tv offers some local stations, which is helpful. We were able to watch the bobcat game yesterday. We have an antena for digital broadcast but a couple of stations just don’t come in if there is any kind of weather other than sunny. Getting used to different interfaces. Using apple tv. I’m kind of meh on all of these, but meh beats the ***^^% out of cable tv.

Do you have the golf channel?

Nope. I rarely watch golf at all and If I need info on golf related things I've got Youtube, a forum here, websites. Going out and playing is another story.

So I have been cord free for about a year now. Been pretty happy overall but starting to miss my sports now that football is here, mlb playoffs, hockey etc. I bought an indoor antenna that does a great job at picking up locals, but after adding up what I'm spending on Netflix, Hulu, etc the cost will be about the same for cable. Debating on whether or not to go back. :unsure:

Have you looked at a service like Vue or Sling for that?

So we had been going without cable TV for awhile - almost 2 years. We did free trials of just about every option. Just signed up for Hulu TV because we figured we'd keep it through football and college basketball season. Keep in mind that Charter charges us 65 bucks a month just for an internet connection and we're limited to only them in our area.
So with Charter and Hulu TV we're at over 100+ a month. Now a week goes buy and I get a letter in the mail that Charter is offering TV and internet only bundles (something they never did before in our area) for $45 bucks a month.

I almost have to switch back now - just to save $50 bucks.

It's a never ending cycle.

So I have been cord free for about a year now. Been pretty happy overall but starting to miss my sports now that football is here, mlb playoffs, hockey etc. I bought an indoor antenna that does a great job at picking up locals, but after adding up what I'm spending on Netflix, Hulu, etc the cost will be about the same for cable. Debating on whether or not to go back. :unsure:
Ever consider PSVue? Tons of sports channels, especially if you opt for the Sports Package add-on. It also has a wide selection of non-sports channels in its lineups.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Ever consider PSVue? Tons of sports channels, especially if you opt for the Sports Package add-on. It also has a wide selection of non-sports channels in its lineups.

I looked at it briefly as I did youtube.tv but for the price I feel like I might as well get cable as an add on to my internet service for about the same

Cut the cord about a year ago. Have Hulu Live TV (with Golf Channel) and Netflix of course. Noticed that basketball was lagging so I wired the Sharp - 50" Class - LED - 2160p - Smart - 4K UHD TV to a highly rated NetGear router (replaced the FIOS router). Better but not as good as cable. Occasionally notice pixelation. Anything more I can do?

So we had been going without cable TV for awhile - almost 2 years. We did free trials of just about every option. Just signed up for Hulu TV because we figured we'd keep it through football and college basketball season. Keep in mind that Charter charges us 65 bucks a month just for an internet connection and we're limited to only them in our area.
So with Charter and Hulu TV we're at over 100+ a month. Now a week goes buy and I get a letter in the mail that Charter is offering TV and internet only bundles (something they never did before in our area) for $45 bucks a month.

I almost have to switch back now - just to save $50 bucks.

It's a never ending cycle.
That $50 will most likely be less than that after the hidden fees for cable get tacked on.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Cut the cord about a year ago. Have Hulu Live TV (with Golf Channel) and Netflix of course. Noticed that basketball was lagging so I wired the Sharp - 50" Class - LED - 2160p - Smart - 4K UHD TV to a highly rated NetGear router (replaced the FIOS router). Better but not as good as cable. Occasionally notice pixelation. Anything more I can do?

Couple options, either faster internet which may help. Or go with an Apple TV/Rok/Firestick attached to the tv. The dedicated boxes seem to work better for streaming.

Surprised no one has mentioned the news about PSVue shutting down on January 30, 2020.

As a subscriber, this is terrible news... I really like Vue and wish Sony would sell the branch to someone -- c'mon Microsoft, hahaha -- so the service would continue.

I'll be checking out YouTube TV as a replacement. Appears they have essentially the same basic channel lineup, although the sports content doesn't compare.

Surprised no one has mentioned the news about PSVue shutting down on January 30, 2020.

As a subscriber, this is terrible news... I really like Vue and wish Sony would sell the branch to someone -- c'mon Microsoft, hahaha -- so the service would continue.

I'll be checking out YouTube TV as a replacement. Appears they have essentially the same basic channel lineup, although the sports content doesn't compare.

It was mentioned.

It was mentioned.

Just saw it... Guess its ok to have it mentioned on both threads.

Still a cord cutter but getting closer to going back. Last weekend I caved and Sling BLUE TV + Sports package because I thought I was getting all my sports channels. I did get NFL Redzone (which is why I got it in the first place) and Golf Channel and what I thought was Fox Sports because I get FS1, FS2. What I don't get is Fox Sports Detroit or ESPN. :mad: So now I can't watch the Red Wings OR Monday Night Football (I know typically I'm not missing much but still) I swear I saw ESPN on there but apparently its in a different package.

So now with Sling ($35) Netflix ($14), Hulu ($6) CBS ($6) and Amazon Prime, I might as well just get Cable :rolleyes:

Still a cord cutter but getting closer to going back. Last weekend I caved and Sling BLUE TV + Sports package because I thought I was getting all my sports channels. I did get NFL Redzone (which is why I got it in the first place) and Golf Channel and what I thought was Fox Sports because I get FS1, FS2. What I don't get is Fox Sports Detroit or ESPN. :mad: So now I can't watch the Red Wings OR Monday Night Football (I know typically I'm not missing much but still) I swear I saw ESPN on there but apparently its in a different package.

So now with Sling ($35) Netflix ($14), Hulu ($6) CBS ($6) and Amazon Prime, I might as well just get Cable :rolleyes:

This was exactly our thinking. Then when you add in the internet discount for bundle, which was $69 to $39, it ended up being close to a wash. We still have netflix and Prime, although Netflix rising costs, has made me reconsider.

Or look at other providers.... Granted Vue is going away soon, but it has ALL of the local Fox Sports channels and definitely has ESPN.

YouTube TV has ESPN, but I'm not sure about the local Fox Sports or Redzone...yet.

This was exactly our thinking. Then when you add in the internet discount for bundle, which was $69 to $39, it ended up being close to a wash. We still have netflix and Prime, although Netflix rising costs, has made me reconsider.

Same. I don't really even watch netflilx anymore honestly. Maybe that will change when baseball is over, not sure. Sling is not bad for $25 and $10 for essentially Redzone, its totally worth it instead of being forced to only watch Lions games haha

Or look at other providers.... Granted Vue is going away soon, but it has ALL of the local Fox Sports channels and definitely has ESPN.

YouTube TV has ESPN, but I'm not sure about the local Fox Sports or Redzone...yet.

YouTube is $50 by itself and from what I can no Redzone so its a no when I can get internet bundle for $100. I'm already paying $70 for internet, it almost just makes sense.

Same. I don't really even watch netflilx anymore honestly. Maybe that will change when baseball is over, not sure. Sling is not bad for $25 and $10 for essentially Redzone, its totally worth it instead of being forced to only watch Lions games haha

Amazon Prime we use for so many things, plus I think they have the best original series. So that will stay.
We have been using CBS to catch up on a few shows, but we don't keep that one full time.
Our cable price is low enough, plus with the discount on internet, it was barely more money.

The biggest kicker for me right now is because we are with Spectrum, we switched to Spectrum mobile and that saves us a bunch each year in mobile for the exact same service.

Amazon Prime we use for so many things, plus I think they have the best original series. So that will stay.
We have been using CBS to catch up on a few shows, but we don't keep that one full time.
Our cable price is low enough, plus with the discount on internet, it was barely more money.

The biggest kicker for me right now is because we are with Spectrum, we switched to Spectrum mobile and that saves us a bunch each year in mobile for the exact same service.
I have thought about doing that through Xfinity which is already my internet provider. We have no Spectrum here but I think its the basically the same thing. Someone at work has it and says it uses the Verizon network anyways so I need to look into that more actually. Paying $300/mo for 3 phones and an iPad seems ridiculous.

Back