Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Review Thread

I think you know in your heart that the cup face is the way to go.
In my rational brain, the CFs are the way to go. In my ego driven brain, the Pros win out.

I really like the idea of the CFs with a good boardy shaft. PX or DGs

In my rational brain, the CFs are the way to go. In my ego driven brain, the Pros win out.

I really like the idea of the CFs with a good boardy shaft. PX or DGs

I hit the new Pros as well. Didn't feel like these and that's a plus for the CF 16s.

I hit the new Pros as well. Didn't feel like these and that's a plus for the CF 16s.
The Cup Face is spectacular tech. It proved itself for me in the XR Pros. It's hard to venture away from it.

The Cup Face is spectacular tech. It proved itself for me in the XR Pros. It's hard to venture away from it.

Quite honestly I enjoyed the finish of these as well. I'm not a fan of mirrors finishes.

Quite honestly I enjoyed the finish of these as well. I'm not a fan of mirrors finishes.
I agree. shiny looks awesome in the bag. On the ground, blinding.

*grain of salt* I swung this 7i at a Golf Galaxy in their simulator with a Maxfli Practice ball and XP 95 R300 shaft. But if even kind of translates to real life, then I will be a happy Internet golfer.

27fefc30d8f45ba3d5897cf52804bdcf.jpg

how much longer is that than your current 7 iron carry distance?

I want cup face all day long, even though it ends at the 7 iron I will take that forgiveness 7 days a week, can't wait to get a swing with these, definitely need to get a taste before December!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
This. Completely.

Based on my testing, that sounds about right depending on your SS. They are definitely that good.
Nice thing, I will have all winter on an advanced launch monitor to really dial them in.

^^^^^

These I have a feeling are gonna bump my XR pros. I'll hit to confirm but it's a sneaking suspicion.
Had a chance to hit them other day. They are bumping my XR Pros immediately. The feel is the reason. I left the Apex for the XR distance. No get feel and distance. I'm ordering Friday.

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Preview

Since I'm probably dropping 5i in favor of 5h I am kind of wavering on these now since I'll only get cup face in 6 and 7 iron. Probably the only thing keeping me hanging on is my intense desire to try graphite shafts. That in itself might make me pull the trigger.

11ish yards
This is my one concern with these- gaining a full club length. I'm pretty similar with distances here, 195-198 with my Apex 6i, so if that becomes my 7i, what in the world will I have to do with wedges at the bottom? Four minimum I would expect. I definitely like the idea of the additional loft on a longer shot so it hits softer and stays on a green, I get why, but I foresee either 15 yard gaps between clubs at the bottom or a bunch of extra wedges... PW will now be 160??? Oof. That is a LOT of distance to fill below.
Honestly, the most intriguing information I've gained is about the feel/sound being improved. I love my Apexes. Love them. But, if the sound/feel is better on these? Oh my.

Hit the 7i with XP R300 yesterday at the shop. Was getting very similar distance to my Z Stars. Really like the look of this club in person. I think it feels better than the previous Apex too - somehow more solid and less springy, if that makes sense.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

It is hard for me to imagine these feel better than the original but a lot of you are saying they do so that is really exciting

Last edited:
It is hard for me to imagine these feel better than the original but a lot of you are saying they do so that is really exciting

That really excites me to. The Apex are the best feeling irons I've hit. I absolutely love them. So, better feel than the original, yes please!

Sent from my iPhone 6 plus using Tapatalk

This is my one concern with these- gaining a full club length. I'm pretty similar with distances here, 195-198 with my Apex 6i, so if that becomes my 7i, what in the world will I have to do with wedges at the bottom? Four minimum I would expect. I definitely like the idea of the additional loft on a longer shot so it hits softer and stays on a green, I get why, but I foresee either 15 yard gaps between clubs at the bottom or a bunch of extra wedges... PW will now be 160??? Oof. That is a LOT of distance to fill below.
Honestly, the most intriguing information I've gained is about the feel/sound being improved. I love my Apexes. Love them. But, if the sound/feel is better on these? Oh my.
One of my main concerns... had that issue with xr pros and playing in altitude does not help. If I look at these then I'll seriously need to think about 5 wedge setup

One of my main concerns... had that issue with xr pros and playing in altitude does not help. If I look at these then I'll seriously need to think about 5 wedge setup

No doubt, and I'm not sure I'm interested in having 5 wedges in the bag, to be honest. I just may not be in the group of golfers for whom these were made...

I don't hit the center of the club face enough to worry about gapping issues. My hope is the increased forgiveness will just make my distance and gaps more consistent from club to club. If the lighter shafts give me more distance overall then that's just a plus

I think we will have to wait and see on the wedges. Callaway even believes that the distance gains are going to come from the mid and long irons. Less drastic distance gains in the short irons. I plan on going PW, 50, 54, 60 in my wedges.

I think we will have to wait and see on the wedges. Callaway even believes that the distance gains are going to come from the mid and long irons. Less drastic distance gains in the short irons. I plan on going PW, 50, 54, 60 in my wedges.

Yeah, I'd need to hit all of the irons in a fitting just to get an idea on gaps before I were to make an upgrade. 15 yard gaps, then 10 at the bottom aren't an interest of mine. Not saying that's how it will go, just making a point.

I Listened to the podcast with Luke Williams. Folks in the past did split sets Apex up to 7 or 8 and Pros on down. This set is made up to not have to do that. The 8-AW have been changed according to feedback, smaller more of a players style if you will. Gapping should not be an issue. That being said each person will be different. After hitting, the feel is better than original. Not much but better. Having gone from Apex to XR Pro I can't wait to get back to that feel. Pre-ordering Friday with XP-105.

Last edited:
I am seriously looking at the 4-AW since the problem I have had with the DF irons is the gap at the bottom, just have to decide if I want to spring for the Program F15 or go with the Recoils or Aerotech again. Big issue is there is nowhere to try the F15 so it would be a blind buy and a steep one at that.

Anyone have Recoil / F15 experience to share? I have looked at the Shafts threads but there does not seem to be a direct comparison and of course not with this head to my knowledge.

I am seriously looking at the 4-AW since the problem I have had with the DF irons is the gap at the bottom, just have to decide if I want to spring for the Program F15 or go with the Recoils or Aerotech again. Big issue is there is nowhere to try the F15 so it would be a blind buy and a steep one at that.

Anyone have Recoil / F15 experience to share? I have looked at the Shafts threads but there does not seem to be a direct comparison and of course not with this head to my knowledge.
In my experience recoil will feel softer than the steelfibers. What I mean is definitely more graphite feel... the hard part is how it feels to you and the actual performance. Good luck finding what you want

In my experience recoil will feel softer than the steelfibers. What I mean is definitely more graphite feel... the hard part is how it feels to you and the actual performance. Good luck finding what you want

Yep, I am going to the AA when I get back in 2 weeks and do a fitting with what they have and then see where that takes me. I loved the feel of your F15 120 7.0 shaft but think the stiff would be plenty moving forward, just another fun problem to work out. Worst comes to worst I would never lose out with the F15 and I have not really liked the Recoils in the past but different head might change that.

Back