Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Review Thread

I am seriously looking at the 4-AW since the problem I have had with the DF irons is the gap at the bottom, just have to decide if I want to spring for the Program F15 or go with the Recoils or Aerotech again. Big issue is there is nowhere to try the F15 so it would be a blind buy and a steep one at that.

Anyone have Recoil / F15 experience to share? I have looked at the Shafts threads but there does not seem to be a direct comparison and of course not with this head to my knowledge.

only recoil and they are a solid feeling shaft. They were on my ponder in these but went cost effective with pxi shafts which are 112g in the 6.0.

where is the gap issue in your DFs

Such a cool animation!

only recoil and they are a solid feeling shaft. They were on my ponder in these but went cost effective with pxi shafts which are 112g in the 6.0.

where is the gap issue in your DFs

150 yd 9 ir
140 pw
120 yd gap (50 deg)

just can't seem to find a GW that works in the slot, if I pure it I can get the 120 but...maybe the set AW will be more consistent.

150 yd 9 ir
140 pw
120 yd gap (50 deg)

just can't seem to find a GW that works in the slot, if I pure it I can get the 120 but...maybe the set AW will be more consistent.
AW stands for awesome wedge.

I have been considering the Awesome Wedge

I'm almost positive I'll be going with one. Only because 99% of the time I use it it's for a full swing and something about a set AW looks easier to hit than say a 50* MD3. I know it's mostly mental and lots of people will disagree, but the speedblade set AW has changed my opinion on set gap wedges forever

I'm almost positive I'll be going with one. Only because 99% of the time I use it it's for a full swing and something about a set AW looks easier to hit than say a 50* MD3. I know it's mostly mental and lots of people will disagree, but the speedblade set AW has changed my opinion on set gap wedges forever
Not mental at all. The set AW is a perimeter weighted cavity back, it IS easier to hit consistently than a bladed 50 degree.

My current set I am gaming the set gap wedge with a 56* and 60* to round out the bag, definitely wondering if a 54 58 set up might be a better gapping option for me if I go with the set Awesome Wedge? I guess only time and numbers will tell but it makes for a great ponder.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

If I go down this route, which likely will happen if the GBB isn't enough to bump the 815 from my bag, I have a feeling I'd go 5-pw. AW's are awesome, but I didn't do as well last time with a set wedge. It's a feel thing, but I'd give it a go and see what happened.

A set gap wedge will be in my bag, especially since it is almost exclusively a full swing club. The only question is whether I go 54 MD3 and 58* PM grind or right to a 56* PM grind.

Another vote for set gap wedge. I really like the xr pro AW.

I originally did not go with the set AW in my current Apex irons. Ended up buying it separate this year and really glad I did. I wouldn't see this changing for me with the Apex CF set AW.

Sent from my iPhone 6 plus using Tapatalk

I am planning on going with the set AW in the CF. Always heard good things about set wedges.

I am still pondering these hard it is going to take a lot to knock the j15s out of the bag but if I can get my gapping under control with these it may be the ticket

Thanks to tpluff and his wisdom I found a post on callaway community that says the recoil 95/110 will be no charge upgrades. Now the ponder is in overdrive.

It's going to be tour v 95 or recoil 95. I'd almost bet on it.

Until I change my mind

Had a brief session with a 7 iron today at Golfsmith, just grabbed the demo club which had a Recoil 670(?) F3 shaft in it, so not what I would usually play. Overall, I didn't see a huge distance increase with this club over my current Apex irons, although I didn't have my best swing today. I did see a couple of shots with carry distances in the simulator close to 180 yards, whereas right now I play a 7 iron to go 170 or so. I'd like to put my current shaft (PXi 6.0) in this club to see if I could get some added distance, but more importantly, it would be fun to hit my current Apex side-by-side with this version with the same shaft to compare dispersion.

My XRP's know these are going to kick their asses out of the bag, and nothing they can do will change that.

#TheGrandaddy

150 yd 9 ir
140 pw
120 yd gap (50 deg)

Thats a similar issue I had between pw and gap wedge in DF and in my z545s. I had to go to a 3* gap between those wedges.

I love my set gap (A) wedge. I practiced a lot of wedges tonight chip, pitch, 1/2 and full with the gap as well as others. I found it a lot more versatile than jusy for full shots. I highly recommend a set gap.
After the gap in have a 54* MD your grind bent to 55 and a 60* pm grind. I felt I have the bottom end of my bag gapped perfectly.

Thats a similar issue I had between pw and gap wedge in DF and in my z545s. I had to go to a 3* gap between those wedges.

i know you and Jim are ho'ing, but I would have recommend buying another pw and having it bent 3* weak. my gapping is great at the bottom with this setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i know you and Jim are ho'ing, but I would have recommend buying another pw and having it bent 3* weak. my gapping is great at the bottom with this setup.

The one thing I started working on is hitting different shot with my pw instead of always taking full swings with my GW. With the apex I will have a 5* gap between pw and aw which I think will be better than what I had with my DFs and z545s w/ wilson wedges. Goal this winter is to work on 125 and in and Le,sending different shots

I had the opportunity to demo the new Apex yesterday vs the XR Pros I've been playing since they were released. A few thoughts:

-Love how the look and setup behind the ball. Very classy looking and more compact than I was expecting. Besides finish I didn't see a world of difference between them and my XR Pros...which is a good thing for me:). Also, lots of bag appeal, ie they look great in the bag.

-They feel and sound(sound=feel) better than my XR Pros, which isn't that surprising. On flush shots I'd say they felt a lot better, but on slight misses I'd say they were closer to my XR Pros in feel. Advantage new Apex.

-Performance...honestly very, very similar to my XR Pros. I did not experience the jump in performance others have. Maybe that's because my XR Pros are that good :), maybe I'm maxed out on cup face ball speed..but for the most part the new Apex and XR Pros were neck and neck.

-Early take away: if I didn't already own the XR Pros I would have pre-ordered the new Apex. However, in my early testing the advantage of better feel wasn't enough for me to pull the trigger....yet ?. Admittedly I didn't love the XR Pros when I first tried them so maybe the new Apex will grow on me. Further, my test yesterday was only 7 iron vs 7 iron so hitting the shorter and longer clubs could make a difference in my opinion of the two. For now my XR Pros are safe and have successfully fought off another competitor...and with my perceived savings I'm going Driver shopping lol...

Ho'ing? I am proud to say I have kept the DF'S longer than any in the last 5 years. But these are just talking to me.

I'm really thinking that these heads with some PX shafts will make me a happy person.

I had never really thought about set wedges until I read about them in the Apex thread. I have the AW, and it's SO easy to hit for me compared to a bladed wedge. So much so, I sold my Vokey 54* and picked up the Apex set SW too. Way more consistent with them, hitting more GIRs.

There's a demo of the CF 16's this evening at Roger Dunn (Santa Ana superstore). Unfortunately I can't make it. Or fortunately, from the perspective of my pocketbook.

Back