Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Review Thread

I was meaning loft... Thanks for the answers guys...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a question for Srixon Z745 users who switched to the Apex CF's....what have you seen as the biggest surprise in the switch? Yardage differences on well struck shots? Miss hits low?

I'm interested in getting a more forgiving set and these are the only ones that comes close to suiting my eyes. My ego gets in the way and my golf buddies have started switching over to the more forgiving sets and I'm starting to see a difference in there scores especially on bad days. I'm a solid ball striker but my miss is usually low on the face and toward the toe. Low on the face with my Z745's is not bad but a little toward the toe is a killer in feel and distances. But here's my issue...my ego is stuck on players irons. I'm 51 and compete some but the 3 to 4 mins hits a round cost me 3-4 shots and if the Apex could get me to the front of greens and not in a front bunker or hazard that would be big.

Any advise would be great.

Shaft question. I've struggled a bit with my DG S300s in my Z545s in the longer irons getting the ball up in the air. I'm going Thursday to hopefully be fit in some new Apexes. I don't particularly like lighter shafts in my irons.

Does anyone have some suggestions on things I definitely need to try? So far my list consists of the KBS Tours and DG Pros.

Wish I could give input on the last two questions. No time at all with the Z745's and getting the ball in the air is something I have to fight against lol

Wish I could give input on the last two questions. No time at all with the Z745's and getting the ball in the air is something I have to fight against lol

How about some 400g rebar with a grip and the heads glued to the end? :alien:

Shaft question. I've struggled a bit with my DG S300s in my Z545s in the longer irons getting the ball up in the air. I'm going Thursday to hopefully be fit in some new Apexes. I don't particularly like lighter shafts in my irons.

Does anyone have some suggestions on things I definitely need to try? So far my list consists of the KBS Tours and DG Pros.

How light is light? DG Pros seem like a solid option, since in the shorter irons they won't be much different than straight DG but the flighting should help you in long irons. KBS Tours will launch higher across the board, but not by much. I'd consider KBS Tour V (stiff = 110g) or XP 115 (S300 = 117g) as well.

How do you feel about composite shafts? The heavier versions of Aerotechs and Recoils could be great options as well.

Without knowing your swing, its tough.

PX Flighted, DG Pro, C-Taper Lite (they aren't really "lightweight"), The DG AMT if its an option.

i would definitely give the Project X a few swings since it is another no charge upgrade for the apex's

How light is light? DG Pros seem like a solid option, since in the shorter irons they won't be much different than straight DG but the flighting should help you in long irons. KBS Tours will launch higher across the board, but not by much. I'd consider KBS Tour V (stiff = 110g) or XP 115 (S300 = 117g) as well.

How do you feel about composite shafts? The heavier versions of Aerotechs and Recoils could be great options as well.

I like to stay in the 110-130g range. I remember the XP 115 being way too high. I do really like the idea of the DG Pros if they're an option from Callaway because I don't really have an issue with my shorter irons.

Without knowing your swing, its tough.

PX Flighted, DG Pro, C-Taper Lite (they aren't really "lightweight"), The DG AMT if its an option.

You know...I actually have a set of DG AMTs up in my shed I had thought about getting put in my z545s if I didn't get some new Apexes. Looking at the specs, I'll give the C-Taper lites a try.

i would definitely give the Project X a few swings since it is another no charge upgrade for the apex's

The regular PX's are a little low for me but I may give the flighted ones a shot.

I like to stay in the 110-130g range. I remember the XP 115 being way too high. I do really like the idea of the DG Pros if they're an option from Callaway because I don't really have an issue with my shorter irons.

If you're willing to go on the low end of your weight range, then take a look at PXi 6.0. IIRC, they are 112 grams. I moved from KBS Tour Stiff to PXi 6.0 a couple of years ago and haven't looked back. 6.5 flex is 117 grams as well.

Yeah definitely sounds like DG Pro could be just what you're looking for, or PX flighted. PXi and CTL are sounding good too. Nippon's Modus line might be a solid option too.

And I still think you should give something like a Recoil 125 or Recoil 110 a shot.

If you're willing to go on the low end of your weight range, then take a look at PXi 6.0. IIRC, they are 112 grams. I moved from KBS Tour Stiff to PXi 6.0 a couple of years ago and haven't looked back. 6.5 flex is 117 grams as well.

You are correct and I love this combo. I had the KBS tour in my 545s and was not a fan of the DG s300 in them.

Really hoping that mine show up this week.

You know...I actually have a set of DG AMTs up in my shed I had thought about getting put in my z545s if I didn't get some new Apexes. Looking at the specs, I'll give the C-Taper lites a try.

The regular PX's are a little low for me but I may give the flighted ones a shot.

I went from the original Apexes to 545, now back to Apex, all with DG S400. I saw similar results with the Zs and the shot height, but in my Apex it has been no issue. You may not require a change in shaft going to Apex... Just a heads-up.

Im dying to hit these again. This is the first set of irons ive owned where im constantly excited to put in play

I'm going today to Memphis to be fit. Crazy excited.

going to play some simulator golf this weekend... myself and 3 other friends will be putting this set through it's paces... honestly it has been too long... :alien:

I'll probably take my rocketbladez along also, as I have a buddy who is eyeing them, and i'd like to get some comparative data.

I was finally able to track down a demo and get some swings in and I am pretty impressed so far. Unfortunately the simulator I was in was only working half the time so I wasnt able to get a solid idea of the numbers but the shots that did register were great. My carry was pretty similar to what I get with my current irons. I was probably seeing 3-4 yards more carry. However, just like everyone else has said these shine on off center hits. On toe misses the distance loss and off offline yardages were much better than what I typically see. Unfortunately I didn't have my irons with me to go against but overall I came away impressed. I'm excited to get in when the sim is actually working to try them out again with more shafts.

Showed up today and they will be getting dirty tomorrow

I get home from my corporate office tomorrow, these will be on the porch waiting for me. Saturday can't come fast enough.

Back