Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Review Thread

It seems like mixing the CF 16s and Pros could cause some gapping issues considering the differences between 8 (35/38), 9 (40/42) and PW (45/46). I'm sure it's been done before, but personally I wouldn't do it.

I agree but I was going to play two 7 irons. The Apex CF16 at 31* and the Apex Pro at 34*.

I agree but I was going to play two 7 irons. The Apex CF16 at 31* and the Apex Pro at 34*.
If you have room in your bag that will work. I saw about 10 yds difference between two 7 irons

a24df62cdd50b39e9847c16f0a793f43.jpg

OK, so the ferrule Callaway uses basically acts as a shim.

Got ya. I thought I read it somewhere before, but what's the reason the CF wasn't used across all the clubs? Was it not possible at the higher lofts?

Got ya. I thought I read it somewhere before, but what's the reason the CF wasn't used across all the clubs? Was it not possible at the higher lofts?

I'm guessing that it's probably not needed in this "class" of irons since they're for slightly better players. I'd guess most of use can benefit from the help in the longer irons but don't really struggle with getting the ball or with distances in our 8 iron and down. It may also generate more spin than is needed on the higher lofts. I'd guess that those of us that fall into the expected handicap range of these irons start seeing distance falloff past 7 iron or so due to mishits.

Srixon did the same thing in the Z545s because the insert was only on the 3-6 irons.

Make sure to give it a fair shot. It's one of my favorite clubs in the set.
+1, that thing saved my butt a few times, and its added forgiveness was welcome on a poor ball striking day.

My CF 16's have finally shipped. They are in Mexico right now apparently, but I hope they are safely making their way to Kansas. :D

I'm looking forward to finally being able to contribute post-fitting, full set feedback in this thread. It's cold here, but I'll still play as long as it's above freezing and not too windy.

I took off work a little early & had an hour of daylight on the course this afternoon w/ the new irons. Temp was in the mid to low 50s & the wind was a steady 10+ mph. Once I got loose, I hit some pretty good shots.

Here are the pros & cons from today's session.
Pros:
- ball flight was considerably lower than my D200s. The Modus Tour 130s probably have a lot to do with that.
- distance, especially down wind, was phenomenal. I flew a par 3 with a 7i that I normally hit a 6i into.
- My swing was atrocious before I got warmed up & I was making contact all over the face. The toe miss was very friendly.
- I really like taking partial swings with the PW for shots in the 60 - 90 yard range.

Cons:
- I'm not wild about the sound/feel, even when struck in the middle of club face. It feels harsh to me. I keep wondering if it's the heads or the shafts causing this.
- still need to get the distances dialed in. I sailed a couple of greens & our course really punishes you if you go long on your approach.

I took off work a little early & had an hour of daylight on the course this afternoon w/ the new irons. Temp was in the mid to low 50s & the wind was a steady 10+ mph. Once I got loose, I hit some pretty good shots.

Here are the pros & cons from today's session.
Pros:
- ball flight was considerably lower than my D200s. The Modus Tour 130s probably have a lot to do with that.
- distance, especially down wind, was phenomenal. I flew a par 3 with a 7i that I normally hit a 6i into.
- My swing was atrocious before I got warmed up & I was making contact all over the face. The toe miss was very friendly.
- I really like taking partial swings with the PW for shots in the 60 - 90 yard range.

Cons:
- I'm not wild about the sound/feel, even when struck in the middle of club face. It feels harsh to me. I keep wondering if it's the heads or the shafts causing this.
- still need to get the distances dialed in. I sailed a couple of greens & our course really punishes you if you go long on your approach.

Don't think that is a "con" of the club. You'll get them dialed in. You'll love them more every time you play them.

OK, so the ferrule Callaway uses basically acts as a shim.
The hosel is actually designed to take taper tip or parallel, we discussed it a bit in Cali.

The hosel is actually designed to take taper tip or parallel, we discussed it a bit in Cali.

Thanks Jman,

Could you elaborate a little more on how it can accept both the taper and parallel? I have a set that is due to arrive today with the Recoil 110's to try but I might pull them for the Project X. This all depends on my ball flight and spin numbers.

Thanks

The MD3 wedges are all .355 taper tips, correct?

Absolutely cannot wait to hit these things Sunday. I may not be able to keep myself from falling for them. I mean, look how great they look in the bag!

Apex-847.jpg

Those are great looking clubs.

My new Apex just came in and I was able to sneak out and hit a large bucket. It was 43* out but no wind so it wasn't to bad. The first impressions are how nice these clubs look in the bag. lol I have always played blades or player cavity back irons but since turning 51 I have been debating back and forth to finally give in and try a game improvement cavity back iron. I looked at the Srixon Z545 since I play the Z745 but just didn't like the feel thru the turf nor the TTDG S-300's. I also tried the Mizuno JPX-825 Forged but they didn't have the eye appeal for whatever reason. So my search continued until one day I walked into Golfsmith and picked up the Callaway Apex CF16's. To me they looked nice but I have always played with a lot less offset then what the Apex states. I was sure but I kept hitting them on a GC2 and the numbers kept hitting me in the head.

Well about a week ago I bit the bullet and ordered them with the UST Recoil 110 in stiff. I have hit the Recoil and loved the feeling but my fitter kept pushing a steel shaft which had me thinking I might have ordered the wrong shaft. I let my fitter know that I prefer a shaft that feels softer but doesn't play softer and felt the Recoils would work out great for my game and elbows. After my many sessions hitting on the launch monitor and today hitting outside with my new sticks I am very impressed with the feel, look and the distances I was achieving. I typically hit a 7 iron around 158-160 in the summer but I was carrying my 7 iron today around 165 in 43* temperature. I was shocked. These irons are stupid easy to hit and they don't have any "hot spots" that had me worried as well. The only "hot spot" I saw was on a miss hit and they carried as long as my pured shot with the Srixon's. Even on mis hits they seemed to carry almost as far as pured shots.

As I mentioned they look and feel fantastic. The off set is a non issue as well. I think Callaway blended the hosel to disguise the off set or either they mis printed them in the brochure. Haha

These are definitely the irons I will play with all year. I typically don't change irons once I find a set and played the Srixon's for over 14 months so my hoing days are gone hopefully for a while.

Sorry for the winded post.

Love the info. Good stuff.

Every time I see these I fall in love with them all over again. Such a great looking set of irons!

Absolutely cannot wait to hit these things Sunday. I may not be able to keep myself from falling for them. I mean, look how great they look in the bag!

Apex-847.jpg

Apex-847.jpg
Those are seriously nice looking irons.

Funny I tried to order with the XP105 and was told no do to shaft tip. Even called CS and was told no. If that's the case I should be able to get them installed. They are stock in the Apex 16 Pro

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Got in my 1st full round with the new irons today. Overall, a very solid showing for the conditions I played in.

When I focus on tempo & hitting thru the ball, I'm seeing distance gains that I didn't think were possible. Normally my 7i has been my 150 club. Today it was flying 160+.

Last edited:
My clubs have been shipped! ETA shows Wednesday... I am supposed to go play 18 Thursday, will see if UPS and Mother Nature can come together so I can put them in play then.

Got out and hit these on course yesterday . I didn't really play. Just went out to the fairways on about 4 different holes and dropped balls from 175 on to as close as 50 yards to try and get a feel for every iron.

Very first fairway from 149 yards with a 7 iron.

35245cf1158cec118212ce644c717d59.jpg

It actually hit the flag stick. Heard the loud clank and saw it settle to about 4 feet. Oh hell, it can only go downhill from that.

Hit another 7 from the exact spot to see if that was a fluke. A tad over the top put that one long and left. Actually went about 155.

Overall the feel and forgiveness of these is what makes them stand out. I saw the low on the face forgiveness many have talked about.

Oh a 185 yard par 3. I took the five knowing I wouldn't make it all the way to the back pin. But hoping I might get 160 ish out of it and be in the front center area.

I definitely pulled out of the shot and hit a "weak" fade thst left me just off the fringe on the front right.

I hit another and it was another come out of the shot swing. But more solid ended up in a green side bunker which meant about 170 yards.

On the last hole I hit three 6 irons from 280 on a par 5 (no I didn't reach the green ha) I wanted to see if they would get me in the 120 range for a 3rd shot.

Using GPS I had respectively 129, 122 and 108. The last one got a huge bounce forward off a downslope.

The Temps were in the high 40s and very little to no wind.

I'm very anxious to hit these in warmer weather in Florida in 10 days. And to see how I hold up with them during an actual round.

But the two things that stood out to me was how incredibly good they feel on clean hits. And how the ball just seems to spring off the face.

I'd love to get on a LM with these and my current D200 to compare ball speeds. I have to think these are a good 3 to 4 mph higher.

My set consists of 5-A with the recoil 680 F4

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Really good stuff CAA. It makes me smile to see people's reactions to the performance of the CF. Legit technology

Really good stuff CAA. It makes me smile to see people's reactions to the performance of the CF. Legit technology
Thanks and seeing the shots leave the club on such a strong flight makes me smile as well

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Hit the 16 model with stock steel reg and identical Recoil F3 I have in my 4-p Apex (2014). Only difference I noticed was the 16 head felt a little heavier which I liked, but other than that I felt it had nothing on 14s in looks,distance,performance.

Back