Callaway Apex Hybrid Review Thread

This thing was an absolute beast for me yesterday. I hit it off the tee twice, three times from the fairway as well, and each time it gave me a predictable high ball flight, and ended up somewhere in the 205-215 range which fits perfectly in my 4I spot. If you are looking for a hybrid to replace an iron, I urge you to look at these. They can be flighted easily, they can fly high and straight, and worked with no problem.

They aren't the most forgiving options in the lineup, but they are a very solid option for a true iron replacement.

I hit my Apex 4 hybrid 2 times today. One time I topped it. The other time I hit about a 220 yard shot (probably a little longer) through a green. Was going for a par 5 in 2. Nice easy swing and the ball just goes. Can't wait to get some more reps in with these clubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 5 Apex might be the best club in my bag right now. Just so good.

I believe it. Almost wonder if I should have went that route as well. Liking my 5 iron, but have a feeling I'm going to be deadly with these hybrids once I get them grooved.

It's Altitude like for me, but definitely lower launching and easier to maneuver. I found myself playing to this number on 2 holes I normally never would.

Ordered mine today. Can't wait for it to get here.

These hybrids are so good I'm going from bagging zero hybrids past year to 3 in my bag now

5h will be in play for the first time tomorrow. Anxious to see what it can do in the 165-180 range for me.

5h will be in play for the first time tomorrow. Anxious to see what it can do in the 165-180 range for me.

It replaces my 185 club almost perfectly which is my 5 iron and I hit it better, higher and its more versatile.

It replaces my 185 club almost perfectly which is my 5 iron and I hit it better, higher and its more versatile.

I'm a little bit shorter than you but have that Apex 4h covering that 180-195 slot. Just happy to play both and not have try and take too much off the 4h.

I only have a 4H Apex Hybrid and it has been awesome off the tee, I haven't found myself with the right distance on a hole to hit it off the turf but having teed it up a few times it is a bomber and fits my eye even better than the mashie 3h that it replaced and I liked that club a lot!

3 hybrid off the deck. Love it.

474b74dd4d4c3cec36ab59a0a9163b3f.jpg

That's a poke. I'm hitting my 4h right around 200, maybe a bit more if I nut it. What sim/scope is measuring that?

No idea to be honest. It's a system at the range I use. It's generally accurate based on the flags I hit with my rangefinder. This is off of mats though so take it with a grain of salt.

That's a poke. I'm hitting my 4h right around 200, maybe a bit more if I nut it. What sim/scope is measuring that?

No idea to be honest. It's a system at the range I use. It's generally accurate based on the flags I hit with my rangefinder. This is off of mats though so take it with a grain of salt.

The range by my house has that too. It's fairly accurate. Was within 2 yards of my SC100 and bushnell v3 on almost every shot

I'm in Phoenix. What range are you talking about? Valley Learning Center?

1st round today with the 3 Hy, kind of strange really. sounded like good contact and the ball just seemed to fall out of the sky. Pretty windy today and I tried several different shots all off the deck some downwind, crosswind, etc. with only one that was decent around 195, I wanted this to be a 215 or so club but so far it needs more work.

It has the stock 50HY stiff shaft and it felt good to swing, but I need more range work to get it figured out.

1st round today with the 3 Hy, kind of strange really. sounded like good contact and the ball just seemed to fall out of the sky. Pretty windy today and I tried several different shots all off the deck some downwind, crosswind, etc. with only one that was decent around 195, I wanted this to be a 215 or so club but so far it needs more work.

It has the stock 50HY stiff shaft and it felt good to swing, but I need more range work to get it figured out.

How far do you hit your driver Jim?

Lately it has been much better with the best in the 250-260 range, average more like 230-240 but that is not on any kind of scope. Just eye balling tee to green and subtracting yardage or the GPS / Laser.

Lately it has been much better with the best in the 250-260 range, average more like 230-240 but that is not on any kind of scope. Just eye balling tee to green and subtracting yardage or the GPS / Laser.

Gotcha.

I bought this off the bay, so there is always the chance it is a fake. Good seller and all, but you never know. Sounded great on contact real solid, look up and it is like a wounded duck. I have not played many Hybrids with success and this is a pretty light shaft I would think for this type of club. My gut feeling is just more time with it will help a lot.

Check that shaft weight, just went out and looked at it again and it is a 80HY. Must need new glasses....shesssh

Jim what has your normal 3 iron/hybrid gone distance wise in the past? If you are hitting driver 230 or so and want a 3 hybrid to go 215 that is only a 15 yard difference so just curious. It may be something that the 2 hybrid works better for that yardage gap you are wanting to fill. In my time with this hybrid and it seems everyone else it is important to remember it is an iron replacement distance wise and not a distance monster like some. Not all 3 hybrids are created for the same purpose so may just be an adjustment period.

Yes it might be unrealistic to expect that kind of distance out of the club, when things are working my 4 iron is a 200 yard club. I have always been way behind on my driver distance compared to my irons.

Just not using the club properly, in the past 3 weeks with the body finally feeling right, I have gained some distance back with the Driver but it is always a battle to use this bulk properly though the ball with the longer clubs. The last time I played with Freddie he gave me some tips that helped right away and I have been trying to keep those thoughts, when I do it right I have seen some very nice long drives. But the old habits are hard to keep in check.

Back