Callaway Apex Pro Irons Preview

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
THP has a look at the Apex Pro irons in this preview. 16 THPers got a chance to try these out a month ago at THP Ultimate Club Testing.

http://bit.ly/HGTMzK

Last edited:
Wow! Those look fantastic! Can't wait to hear first person thoughts from those THPers that got to hit them at the Callaway event!

Thanks JB. It's bad enough that I spend time drooling on my keyboard looking at pics of the Apex irons. Now you have to go and add the Apex Pros in the mix. I don't think my keyboard can handle any more.

I really can't wait to read the review as these are what I'm thinking will finally knock my Tour Authentic Prototype irons out of my bag.

The day has finally arrived, these irons are sweet, smooth and explosive. The overall look is a departure from a traditional forged iron and it shows in its performance

Very nice! So these are forged from one piece of metal, and the "standard" Apex irons are multi material?

The day has finally arrived, these irons are sweet, smooth and explosive. The overall look is a departure from a traditional forged iron and it shows in its performance
Side by side performance with the Xforged Sir?

It's finally here! These irons look amazing and with all the technology packed in there, I am thinking these are a must hit!

Side by side performance with the Xforged Sir?

Not too much info on this at the time. I was able to take some swings with the 3i and 6i during the event but not a heads up. From my limited time with the Apex Pro the trajectory I saw was easy. Meaning the long and mid irons got up quickly into mid/high trajectory, planes out and arced back to terra firma. The setup with the KBS v2 is a lighter setup then the xforged with S400, a bit more explosive off the face.

Combine the trajectory with aggressive lofts and you have a very long, forgiving iron. I'll need more head to head with my xforged to give out any concise data. Will they knock the forged out of the bag based in what I saw, yes.

During my fitting I hit both the Apex and Apex pro. The Apex may have been one of the easiest irons I've hit with its profile. We switched to the Apex Pro and a fired off 5 low groove shots that still carried the 184 flag with a mid trajectory. Flushed shots with the Apex Pro seem to have a hang time I've not seen in a forged iron.

When I start testing I'll be sure to go head to head with the xforged.

Not too much info on this at the time. I was able to take some swings with the 3i and 6i during the event but not a heads up. From my limited time with the Apex Pro the trajectory I saw was easy. Meaning the long and mid irons got up quickly into mid/high trajectory, planes out and arced back to terra firma. The setup with the KBS v2 is a lighter setup then the xforged with S400, a bit more explosive off the face.

Combine the trajectory with aggressive lofts and you have a very long, forgiving iron. I'll need more head to head with my xforged to give out any concise data. Will they knock the forged out of the bag based in what I saw, yes.

During my fitting I hit both the Apex and Apex pro. The Apex may have been one of the easiest irons I've hit with its profile. We switched to the Apex Pro and a fired off 5 low groove shots that still carried the 184 flag with a mid trajectory. Flushed shots with the Apex Pro seem to have a hang time I've not seen in a forged iron.

When I start testing I'll be sure to go head to head with the xforged.
Thanks Bro, looking forward to it.

Some good looking irons there, thanks for this JB. Any known PGA Tour guys using these yet?

That's interesting Freddie, I know from playing with you that you can hit any club out there with success, that's for sure. A club longer?

These irons are amazing. Was fortunate enough to test them out at the THP Ultimate Club testing event and these are something truly special. Can't wait to get them in hand and provide some additional info.

Finally the day has come! Those baby's look saweeet! Been seeing lots of tungsten recently, very fascinating. Love the shaft pairing too with the KBS Tour V. Those guys at the Cally UT are very lucky and I look forward to their thoughts, even though these are way out of my league.

The more I look at these the more I really appreciate the Callaway design department. Over the last couple years Callaway has put out some incredible products but I feel like this year they have really introduced new dynamics to their lines, they're fresh, inspiring, and if they perform half as good as they look I'll have another ponder.

Fantastic looking iron with what sounds like a ton of tech built into it. Glad to see Callaway getting some KBS shafts as stock with this new V shaft.

Guys were really high ok these coming out of the Callaway weekend so I'm looking forward to hearing the long term reviews and trying these myself.

Those irons look really, really nice. I'm really interested in trying these out.

The added tungsten weighting in the longer irons is intriguing. A player's club that is easier to hit -- interesting concept.

Nice looking irons right there. Interested to see/hear the differences experienced with the Pros.

Finally. They look awesome too!

JM

these look so sweet , I wish I could get some results with that kind of irons, I need to get better

I was skeptical of these in the looks department after the Xforged release last year. Which were the sexiest irons I had seen in a long while. These certainly don't play bridesmaid that's for sure. Then you add tungsten weighting, added forgiveness, increased ball speeds to the equation! Put a players iron tag on them. Wow the reviews on these are going to be fun to follow. For me, these could possible be an obtainable reach with continued improvement in my game. Love the possibilities.

That's interesting Freddie, I know from playing with you that you can hit any club out there with success, that's for sure. A club longer?

Take forged add xhot pro distance mix in big Bertha forgiveness and a new age design you'll get the Apex pro. Now the forgiveness is relative in relation to the player profile of the iron. The thinner face and shaft sling some serious ball speed. My stock 6i, favorite distance is 187. I was hitting this number with low groove strikes

Geez, those look awesome. Although I shouldn't play them, or even bother hitting them for my next set of irons, it'll be difficult--if not impossible--to stop me.

Beautiful clubs. A bit of a departure for Callaway, the cavity badge looks "formal" like a tux or something, haha.

Didn't get to hit these but can't speak to them. But those that did were instantly in love and man the are some beautiful irons.

Back