Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 Double Black Diamond Driver Preview

This has Spicoli written all over it.

The Double Black Diamond part is kind of intimidating though. Would be really interesting to put this one against some others and see what sort of differences there are in terms of spin and forgiveness.

This looks really cool. I that the opit-fit hosel looks to be the same as this year's Bertha woods. All those shaft options at no extra cost are really cool too.

A bit more info - this is all from Callaway of course.

5 Questions – Big Bertha Alpha 815 Double Black Diamond Driver

1. What should we know about this driver?

It’s our “experts only” driver, made for the best players who want ultra low spin for maximum distance. These golfers create high ball speeds and usually make impact on the center of the face, so it’s a perfect choice for them.

2. Where does the extreme low spin come from?

RMOTO Technology saves over 3 grams of weight in the face, and we put that weight back into the club to push CG lower while also improving stability on off center hits. That’s key. Basically, the lighter weight in the face leads to more ball speed across the face, and we’ve moved the CG low for even more speed.

We’ve included the Gravity Core as well for our patented CG adjustment that lets you configure the core (and thus CG height) up or down. This can give you a low or lower spinning driver, and in Alpha 815 Double Black Diamond the Gravity Core is actually taller, giving you more spin differential (than the Alpha 815 Driver) between the low and high setting.

The “up” is even more up and the “down” is even more down, and we were able to achieve this by modifying the crown. As a result, you get the right amount of spin to maximize your distance, all without changing loft or face angle. It’s a great way for better players to tune launch conditions.

3. Since this is a driver for better players, does it have a deeper face?

Yes it does. This is a deeper face that Tour players prefer. The shape of the crown, smaller footprint and face angle at address all suit better players’ eyes.

4. What about adjustability and shaft options?

We’re giving you the best of both. The adjustability features 1 gram and 5 gram weight ports to shape your ball flight and an OptiFit hosel with 8-way adjustability for loft and lie angle.

The Tour Premium Shafts include an Aldila Rogue 60, Matrix Ozik Black Tie 70 and a more comprehensive list of no charge exotic shaft offerings than anyone. No charge! Not a typo!

5. Great. Anything else we should know?

This is the lowest spinning driver we’ve ever made. If you have the ball speed and launch conditions to match, you’re going to get all the distance that goes with it (and even a little forgiveness too).

It’s available online, including at callawaygolf.com, and in stores on 11/14, priced at $499.99. The loft options are 9° and 10.5°.

I can't imagine a black tie on this thing. It might not spin at all..............

I'm looking forward to testing this against the current Alpha that I have now. I tend to get a little higher spinning shots when I am not swinging well, so this could be helpful.

I can't imagine a black tie on this thing. It might not spin at all..............

Tim Wakefield would have more spin on his knuckleball then this thing with a blacktie. Jeesh!

It's pretty, so I'll just enjoy the looks of it and move on :O

The Double Black Diamond part is kind of intimidating though. Would be really interesting to put this one against some others and see what sort of differences there are in terms of spin and forgiveness.

I'm glad they built a driver for you and Nate.

Me, I'll stick with the bunny slopes.

Seriously though, I like the strategy that specifies who they were designed for.

And interest double peaked!!!! MUST HIT!!!!!
I can't imagine which golfer would fit well into this driver head.........

Let me give you one hint:

Spoiler
Come on, you know this!
Spoiler
No, nothing coming to ya?
Spoiler
Jeez, fine!
Spoiler
CANADAN!!!

I love the Double Black Diamond name. Lets me know this one is NOT for me. Haha love the shaft options!

I don't even ski, but if I did, I'd stay away from the double black diamond slopes. That tells me I need to.....hit this driver immediately!

It’s made for players who hit the ball in the center of the face most of the time.

look good, but I'm out

Low spin..... Sounds like something I would be interested in for sure

I love the skiing reference. #DoubleBlackDiamond

Great to see the shaft offerings at no upcharge. Interested to see who will give this one a go!

caution-double-black-diamond.jpg

Full release.
Nice to see a company market a product for specific golfers...I seem to recall someone saying how this is needed in this industry.

My first thought was "this is how TM should have marketed the SLDR"

"Double black diamond" Is giving me flashbacks of a ski trip mogul experience gone bad... I'll stick to the other Callaway slope

I love the look. And I envy you center-of-the-face finders. Otherwise ...

TAt1M6N.gif

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 Double Black Diamond Driver Preview

With a name like Double Black Diamond it has to be good. Probably can hit over mountains. In all seriousness it looks awesome and like all of Cally's offerings, me likey and me want hittey!

The name alone yells gimmicky to me. I know most won't agree with me and that's fine. Callaway could have done better

This thing looks MEAN. And what an offering of shafts, holy smokes.

I'm glad they built a driver for you and Nate.

Me, I'll stick with the bunny slopes.

Seriously though, I like the strategy that specifies who they were designed for.

Agreed. I have been saying this for 3 years on THP in regards to driver releases and hope every company that releases more than 1 driver takes this approach.

Interesting that the Bassara 42 is offered for very good golfers, it's almost like it's not too whippy for faster swing speeds. I remember someone saying that.

Well if anyone buys this driver and trades it in a few weeks later saying it was not forgiving enough, then they should be sent to a 1st grade reading class.

Although this sounds leathal in the right hands. .....calling ForTheLoveOfGolf !!

I LOVE the way they've built and marketed clubs in an extremely clear and logical way. I definitely do not want to derail this thread but my theory about the noise we hear about excessive releases is that it is fundamentally based in consumer confusion. Going this route definitely eliminates that possibility, and as a consumer I appreciate the clarity with which I can know that this one is not meant for me but the other one definitely would be in my wheelhouse. Over and above all that, the club's technology sounds like it is something special. Great job Callaway.

This is like the high horsepower exotic sports car for drivers. Meaning, if you can't handle the power/performance then you probably shouldn't be buying it in the first place. This driver looks sooooo nice! I know there were times back when I was practicing all the time, that this would have been my choice. My swing is starting to come around to that again, with the balls I've hit preparing for the Grandaddy. With that said, putting this in my bag might be a gamble considering the time off between events and practice during normal living. I want to hit it though, just to see if I can tame the Double Diamonds!

Last edited:
I was thinking the same as others have said. It's great to see this specified for a certain group of golfers. It's refreshing.

Back