Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 Double Black Diamond Driver Preview

This, I have decided will be in the bag. Great shaft options, fierce look and gogo juice in the face.

This, I have decided will be in the bag. Great shaft options, fierce look and gogo juice in the face.

As well as you hit the low low spinning J40, you'll be dangerous with this one.

As well as you hit the low low spinning J40, you'll be dangerous with this one.

Haha, stop trying to get in my head. This may be one of the biggest vanity purchases I make. The hard cut will be in my future.

Haha, stop trying to get in my head. This may be one of the biggest vanity purchases I make. The hard cut will be in my future.

Nothing wrong with that when you can play it!

I'm really interested to see where this one is in forgiveness compared to the OGAlpha.

I'm really interested to see where this one is in forgiveness compared to the OGAlpha.

I love the alpha, wish I had gone with that vs the BB

As am I. I have felt pretty good about how I've played unforgiving drivers the past few seasons.

The ego in me thinks I could justify this. The pragmatic side of me thinks I'm an idiot.

They say is more forgiving high on the face than the alpha. If that's the case then it might just work for me.

The dbd is less forgiving than the 815 but it is not unplayable I think it is very similar forgiveness wise to the ogalpha. For me it is a bit to much club but I could see it being a great driver for a segment of golfers. I was a bit longer with it over the 815 but a bit more all over the place with it.

As am I. I have felt pretty good about how I've played unforgiving drivers the past few seasons.

The ego in me thinks I could justify this. The pragmatic side of me thinks I'm an idiot.

This is me essentially. If it consistently beats my Alpha and is forgiving (enough) off the toe, it might just creep into my mind. If not, the 815 is great too and will be tested.

A bit more info - this is all from Callaway of course.

5 Questions – Big Bertha Alpha 815 Double Black Diamond Driver

1. What should we know about this driver?

It’s our “experts only” driver, made for the best players who want ultra low spin for maximum distance. These golfers create high ball speeds and usually make impact on the center of the face, so it’s a perfect choice for them.

2. Where does the extreme low spin come from?

RMOTO Technology saves over 3 grams of weight in the face, and we put that weight back into the club to push CG lower while also improving stability on off center hits. That’s key. Basically, the lighter weight in the face leads to more ball speed across the face, and we’ve moved the CG low for even more speed.

We’ve included the Gravity Core as well for our patented CG adjustment that lets you configure the core (and thus CG height) up or down. This can give you a low or lower spinning driver, and in Alpha 815 Double Black Diamond the Gravity Core is actually taller, giving you more spin differential (than the Alpha 815 Driver) between the low and high setting.

The “up” is even more up and the “down” is even more down, and we were able to achieve this by modifying the crown. As a result, you get the right amount of spin to maximize your distance, all without changing loft or face angle. It’s a great way for better players to tune launch conditions.

3. Since this is a driver for better players, does it have a deeper face?

Yes it does. This is a deeper face that Tour players prefer. The shape of the crown, smaller footprint and face angle at address all suit better players’ eyes.

4. What about adjustability and shaft options?

We’re giving you the best of both. The adjustability features 1 gram and 5 gram weight ports to shape your ball flight and an OptiFit hosel with 8-way adjustability for loft and lie angle.

The Tour Premium Shafts include an Aldila Rogue 60, Matrix Ozik Black Tie 70 and a more comprehensive list of no charge exotic shaft offerings than anyone. No charge! Not a typo!

5. Great. Anything else we should know?

This is the lowest spinning driver we’ve ever made. If you have the ball speed and launch conditions to match, you’re going to get all the distance that goes with it (and even a little forgiveness too).

It’s available online, including at callawaygolf.com, and in stores on 11/14, priced at $499.99. The loft options are 9° and 10.5°.

See #1:. Ok I get it....Not for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See #1:. Ok I get it....Not for me.

Same boat, but she sure is sexy isn't she?

Sounds like this will be a great offering ( if you can hit it)

Same boat, but she sure is sexy isn't she?

Sounds like this will be a great offering ( if you can hit it)

Oh yeah. It looks incredible and if they say it's for experts then I'm sure they will sell plenty especially to thpers lol. But if it does what they say and is really designed for that specific player, then I'm not going to benefit

Just gonna have to hit both 815 versions and see which fits me best and if it's better than my current Alpha. If not I was hitting X2Hot Pro the other day. Pretty darn solid. Almost moved the Alpha out until I saw this. Oh well I'll just wait a few weeks.

I will put one of these in my bag. I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger on the Alpha last spring as the Double Black Diamond looks much meaner!

I'm an avid skier so for those of you who don't know what a double black diamond is, it's a ski runs that is so scary that your adrenal gland goes into overdrive the longer you stand at the top of it. It's better to pause no more than a few seconds before making the plunge over the edge! Here's a view!

064_JH_Corbets_birds_eye3.jpg

This date is getting closer.

I wonder if there is one at a retail location ready for demo?

Haven't seen any yet. Have been looking for them

I like the name. Very clear that this driver isn't for everyone. Love the look

The new Alpha 815s are available for pre-order now. I just looked through all the shafts offered and besides the impressive list stock and no-charge upgrade shafts, there are a couple new offerings that I found interesting. They offer the Graphite Design Tour AD-BB 6 and 7 now. The BB wasn't available through Callaway before. For me, the AD-BB is a very intriguing shaft. It fits my swing and what I like to see ball-flight wise. I actually came really close to getting one from a fitter for my Alpha. Basically I'm just glad to see Callaway adding a few more high quality shaft options than previously. But the stock Rogue shaft ain't no joke either.

I can't wait to hit this. Hopefully the demo carts are updated with at least all the no-charge upgrade shafts. I'm also curious if the current Bertha and Alpha opti-fit hosels fit the new Alphas. The rings on the new adapter look the same but the very tip looks a little different and seems to be extended a little.

The original Bertha adaptors do fit the new Berthas, the only change is that they got rid of the small plastic cap on the end that goes into the driver and made the whole part below the ferule metal. I called in my order today and will give it a side by side test with the original Alpha.

The original Bertha adaptors do fit the new Berthas, the only change is that they got rid of the small plastic cap on the end that goes into the driver and made the whole part below the ferule metal. I called in my order today and will give it a side by side test with the original Alpha.
Did you go ♢♢?

I'm on the fence. I want to go with one of the 815s. Just don't know DBD or Pedestrian.

I'm on the fence. I want to go with one of the 815s. Just don't know DBD or Pedestrian.
I was gaming the Alpha. Miss hits went nowhere. Decided on the pedestrian 815.

Back