Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 Double Black Diamond Driver Review Thread

The ponder is real.

drivers-2015-big-bertha-alpha-815-double-diamond-udesign____11970_12705_1.png
Drool... Do want.

This club baffles me still. Some shots are piercing fades that go forever. Others are pull hooks that end up short.

I know it's user error. The good shots make me want to hit this more.

This club baffles me still. Some shots are piercing fades that go forever. Others are pull hooks that end up short.

I know it's user error. The good shots make me want to hit this more.
Had the same experience with the OG Alpha. It's the risk/reward of the Super low spinning heads

Had the same experience with the OG Alpha. It's the risk/reward of the Super low spinning heads
I've played the Covert Tour, Sldr 430 and now this. I'm aware of the risks. It's more or less my frustration of having a 2 way miss off the tee.

I've played the Covert Tour, Sldr 430 and now this. I'm aware of the risks. It's more or less my frustration of having a 2 way miss off the tee.
Yup. I hear ya. So fun to hit on the screws.

I got to play this bad boy today. It's pretty big... And by big I mean useful... and by useful I mean I liked it.

Great numbers, no really big misses... I'll need to probably adjust it to sit open and probably drop the loft to 8* because it was a bit left and a bit higher than I'd prefer, but yeah, it's the tiny little upgrade I was expecting from the original Alpha.

It also looks all kinds of meaner. Dark finish turned out REALLY good.

I got to play this bad boy today. It's pretty big... And by big I mean useful... and by useful I mean I liked it.

Great numbers, no really big misses... I'll need to probably adjust it to sit open and probably drop the loft to 8* because it was a bit left and a bit higher than I'd prefer, but yeah, it's the tiny little upgrade I was expecting from the original Alpha.

Can it be opened? I would think that lower loft the -1* on the cog may open the face slightly.

haha I don't know what I am thinking then. I get lost in all the adapter options.

Looks like -1 and "S" it is.
Could the OptiFit?

hahahaha you didn't just do that.
Which one was in the Razor Fit? wasn't there a single cog adapter.

I get the OptiFit and OptiForce adapters mixed up

Which one was in the Razor Fit? wasn't there a single cog adapter.

My 2015 gamer was the Alpha from last year which had OptiFit. I think I had it set up to -1 and N and it worked well.

I just moved the 5 gram weight to the toe and the 1 gram weight to the heel. I bet it's perfect after that.

My 2015 gamer was the Alpha from last year which had OptiFit. I think I had it set up to -1 and N and it worked well.

I just moved the 5 gram weight to the toe and the 1 gram weight to the heel. I bet it's perfect after that.

What if you moved the 5 gram weight to the toe?

(see what I did there)

Heavy in the toe makes it fade biased correct?

Yeah. -1 and neutral, 5g 8n the toe would be perfect for you Dan!

I had such a good time with this beast...oh the punishment you can do to a golf ball with this powerful nephilim. Excited to see what can come from this bad boy paired with someone who knows how to wield it.

i hit mine yesterday a few times, hit some good ones & some so so's....but i was pretty rusty

I had such a good time with this beast...oh the punishment you can do to a golf ball with this powerful nephilim. Excited to see what can come from this bad boy paired with someone who knows how to wield it.

buddy, I think you're right. They kept a lot of the Alpha design, making me feel right at home with it.

My dad muttered "wow" three times today. He usually mutters "stop looking at the ball let's go" ahahaha

buddy, I think you're right. They kept a lot of the Alpha design, making me feel right at home with it.

My dad muttered "wow" three times today. He usually mutters "stop looking at the ball let's go" ahahaha
Haha. A new cause of slow play. Hitting and admiring too many good shots.

Haha. A new cause of slow play. Hitting and admiring too many good shots.
That's just a by product of being in the same group as him

I hit this Driver at a Golfsmith near Dulles while waiting on a flight back to Germany, and compared it to the Ping G30 and G30 LS. I got nearly perfect launch numbers RPM 1800 (avg) and a launch from 15-18 degrees -- it was showing a carry that was 30 yards longer than my normal driver. I got to demo the same loft head and shaft this past weekend, and initially had real trouble with it (very low -- felt wrong). I was about to give up on it when I decided to flip the Gravity Core from low to high -- Presto! -- long high bombs that carried forever (for me). On course it was very forgiving towards the toe -- not so much out of the heel.

Very difficult to compare to my G30, cause they are just different animals it seems.

Will keep testing it, but it looks promising to be able to dial in to a great fit.

I have my set up dialed in...here it is (not for all)

10.5 DBD set to +1 / Draw
Fujikura F3 60x , 46.25, D3 (1gram toe, 3 gram heal), S1 to Target (9oClock)
GP Zcord Std
Core Down

I am hitting high towering draws / baby hooks. I start out at set up with a open face angle. Bam, I have the whole FW to land in...
I can hit a baby draw, or curve one out over right rough...and end up on left FW, or more, depending on the set up at address
All shots are upper mid to high trajectory (jaw droppers from others :bulgy-eyes:) and land with a lot of top spin rolling out a lot further: 275y into wind, 285y avg, 300+ with a tail wind (one went 340y tot)
I am hitting a lot of FW, carrying FW bunkers into new zip codes!. Not to mention cutting doglegs with high shots that look like 5w's on steroids to land for a bump n run @ greens (birdie set up's)
Actually I have so many birdie opps lately...why hit a straight shot to half the FW?
My SS 105-108+ and I load solid. I build this with the intention of either tipping it or butt trimming it next to a shorter playing length, however at a driving lesson my pro hit it and was killing it with a 300 carry that I decided to work with the length and adjust the settings to the above, and get it grooved in
This is the most predictable shot off the face (draw for sure) at the tee, its a game changer for me to be looonger.

The F3 HIT tip sure catapults the ball with a lot of velocity...try one!

Also any other setup's / suggestions on a similar low bend point shaft - what are you using ???

Back