Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 Double Black Diamond Driver Review Thread

Played this for a full tournament round at our weekly Men's Day Tournament on Weds and it performed very well for the most part. The smaller looking head fits my eye, and out of the center of the face (and slightly high center), it is long -- very long. Out of the toe, you still get a draw, but maybe lose 10-20 yards. Shots low and towards the heel just kind of die -- which is a good thing for me, since it means the ball can be found and hit again.

I came in 2nd in my HCP zone and lowered my HCP, so it seems to have been a good experiment. I intend to play around with the settings some to see how it produces different ball flights with a decent swing.

I spent a good portion of range time the other day trying to get my DBD dialed in and I think I've finally got it. Last year when I got my Alpha it didn't take much time at all to dial in and I never had to mess with the settings again. This year I've tried multiple shafts before settling on my custom built Accra Tour Z ST shaft that I used the second half of last year in my Alpha. But I've tried 8°, then 9° for a while and now I'm back to 8°. I've also tried different weights and flipped them around some. I haven't tried core up on the course but I've hit is some on the range. Core down has always been best for me. I also have used the green longest "4 yards more" tees that tee it up the same height every time. I started using the longest ones because I had a 7° positive angle of attack on average. At first, 8° just seemed to have too little spin and not want to carry. So I tried 9° and that just wanted to go really high and not get any roll or carry quite as far. My last round I had my DBD set at 8° while I was warming up but then switched it back to 9° when I got to the first tee because it was early and the course was wet with due. After many poor drives that were all big high pushes to the right, I switched it back to 8° on the 17th tee. (I don't hit driver on the 18th) Something finally clicked and I hit an absolute bomb just like I was used to seeing with my Alpha last year. A beautiful little 5 yard cut that started out dead on line. The exact shot I've been used to playing with good carry and decent rollout on a fairway that doesn't usually yield much rollout. At the range this week I didn't mess with the settings anymore but I was having more of the same issues that I've talked about above at 8°. I was making contact a little high on the face and was very inconsistent direction wise. Instead of flip the core up, I got out a shorter blue "4 yards more" tee and that did the trick. I ripped off multiple bombs like my drive on 17 and I was used to seeing with the Alpha. The shorter tee was allowing me to make contact in the right spot and the ball started taking off like a cannon shot. Now I can't wait to see how it does for my round this afternoon.

In my round Friday, I wasn't super consistent driving the ball but I did hit a couple bombs including one that was the longest drive I've ever hit on that hole. It is a par 5 with a narrow fairway and trees all down the left side but it requires a draw or straight shot down the tree line. I hit a little 2 yard draw that I measured at 345 yards. I hit 8 iron to the green but 3 putted for par.

after spending more time with the DBD, I am sure it is a good fit for me. My game has been at about a "c' level so far this year, and even when swinging poorly the DBD is producing acceptable results. The miss low on the heal is the most punishing for me. I need to get to the range and put things together. Inconsistency has make it difficult for me to give a good assessment of this club.

A buddy of mine was back in town this weekend and had just put in the Alpha DBD after gaming his SLDR for quite some time, he had the stock speeder and holy cow could he pound that thing, it carried probably an average of 265-275 for him, he's about a 6 handicap, and should be lower with some short game work. But I was amazed how forgiving the DBD was for him, we kept talking about how different it felt and sounded from the SLDR but the performance was so much better for him. I gave it a couple swings, a bit too much for me, but also cranked down more than I would have had it.

I think this one is the one I am looking forward to most at driver testing this weekend. Hopefully I will have some good feedback based on a comparison against my gamer XR.

I played around with the settings some today on the course, hit some real bombs, but also some dud duck hooks. Seems that after I hit a good one, I come out of my shoes on the next hole. The distance is amazing on well struck shots ... and I start craving more. Will have to learn to stay within a certain effort zone to get the max out of it. The adjustability brings a fun factor that I find kind of cool. Will probably stick with the core up and accept the additional spin.

But... Went out EARLY this morning with both of my Drivers (Ping G30 & DBD), and just drove on a series of nine holes alternating between the two. The DBD is definitely longer by 10-20 yards regardless of where the core is set/or loft. The conditions were wet and soft, so the high loft settings (and maximized carry) worked best for both. G30 is also "definitely" a more accurate at the same loft settings, but after hitting the DBD -- the G30 looks HUGE at address.

I hate vacillation, but I guess I'll just keep swapping back and forth until one wins out. Will be fun either way.

But... Went out EARLY this morning with both of my Drivers (Ping G30 & DBD), and just drove on a series of nine holes alternating between the two. The DBD is definitely longer by 10-20 yards regardless of where the core is set/or loft. The conditions were wet and soft, so the high loft settings (and maximized carry) worked best for both. G30 is also "definitely" a more accurate at the same loft settings, but after hitting the DBD -- the G30 looks HUGE at address.

I hate vacillation, but I guess I'll just keep swapping back and forth until one wins out. Will be fun either way.

I think there's a lot of validity to the idea of slightly longer and slightly less forgiving as contact ventures away from the center of the face.

Both absolutely fantastic drivers, though.

The most pertinent Q here though...

Dan, why don't you have one yet?

One what? One of these?

74a71dbe273138acfde5428fec9c87f3.jpg

after spending more time with the DBD, I am sure it is a good fit for me. My game has been at about a "c' level so far this year, and even when swinging poorly the DBD is producing acceptable results. The miss low on the heal is the most punishing for me. I need to get to the range and put things together. Inconsistency has make it difficult for me to give a good assessment of this club.

I wish I would have gotten to spend a little time with it, everytime I pick it up at GolfSmith the numbers seem to be ridiculous compared to my regular Alpha. Are you using the shaft you were fit for or the Handmade?

I wish I would have gotten to spend a little time with it, everytime I pick it up at GolfSmith the numbers seem to be ridiculous compared to my regular Alpha. Are you using the shaft you were fit for or the Handmade?

I am using the Oban Kyoshi Gold I was fit into. I have put the Handmade in for range sessions and it seems really good as well, but no #s on it. I am going to try to get together with Adam and get on his LM for ball testing, if we do I will try to post #s on both shafts.

I just wanted to say thanks to THP for this review. I picked up one of these DBD drivers and put a Fubuki reg flex shaft on it. I hit a 293 yard drive yesterday which is the longest I've hit a drive in a long time. Considering that I'm 63 I'd say that says it all for this club. Thanks for making the game more enjoyable for me as now I have at least a chance of keeping up with the younger guys.

Glad you found something that works for you. Its a heck of a driver.

I got out Thursday afternoon and just played the DBD in what seems to be the best fit for me (core up at 9*). While warming up, I used some foot powder spray and just focused on centered contact. I tracked my drives using the ARCCOS system on the course and had some phenomenal results (for me):

Hole 1 Par 4 Drove onto the front of the green. Measured at 270 Yds (total -- bounced twice and rolled up).
Hole 2 Par 4 257 Yards uphill
Hole 4 Par 5 244 yds up hill
Hole 5 Par 4 233 yard hook, ended up being ok.
Hole 6 Par 4 216 yards off the heel and low, ended up in the right rough.
Hole 7 Par 5 256 yards in center of the fairway
Hole 9 Par 4 Topped it 100 yards. was trying to come out of my shoes
Hole 10 Par 4 -- bailed out to the right 236 Yards (slice)
Hole 11 Par 4 295 Yards (down hill and down wind) 60 Yards left to pin)
Hole 13 Par 5 246 yards into the wind and slightly uphill.
Hole 14 Par 4 276 yards (56 Yards left to pin)
Hole 15 Par 4 Pulled left, hit a tree 210 yards
Hole 17 Par 5 263 Yards slightly up hill
Hole 18 Par 4 291 Yards (Downhill), just left of the Fairway. This was disappointing because I ended up with a crap lie.

Focusing on centered face contact really paid off with the driver. The distances I'm starting to get (more consistently) are 30+ yard gains from even a few weeks ago. Bad misses would be bad with any driver, off center hits lose more distance than with the G30, but are still respectable. I have to be patient and make a really smooth swing with this driver, but I can't argue with the results. The DBD is LONG when properly setup for my swing.

I'm considering setting up the G30 as a two wood (max loft with shorter shaft) and carrying both. The G30 for tighter courses/holes, and taking out the three wood.

Figuring this driver out is proving to be fun (and is helping me score).

Can't wait to see your review Dan. From out little chats I know you are loving this one.

Got to put a few swings on this one this weekend in MSP. With my swings I really got to test the forgiveness, and there was not enough there for me. I caught one out on the toe and it penalized me a good amount; low ugly flight with a good amount of distance loss. I did hit one pretty well, and it still was not a great result for me. It was pretty low and did not appear to have much carry. The overall distance was not bad, but a lot of it had to be rollout, which I do not prefer. Perhaps if it was a higher loft it may have been better (don't remember what we had), but I still think the forgiveness would be an issue for me.

My disclaimer, however, is that my swing was atrocious this weekend, and I'm sure this is one heck of a driver for many.

Got to put a few swings on this one this weekend in MSP. With my swings I really got to test the forgiveness, and there was not enough there for me. I caught one out on the toe and it penalized me a good amount; low ugly flight with a good amount of distance loss. I did hit one pretty well, and it still was not a great result for me. It was pretty low and did not appear to have much carry. The overall distance was not bad, but a lot of it had to be rollout, which I do not prefer. Perhaps if it was a higher loft it may have been better (don't remember what we had), but I still think the forgiveness would be an issue for me.

My disclaimer, however, is that my swing was atrocious this weekend, and I'm sure this is one heck of a driver for many.
This is my gamer. I found there isn't much forgiveness on the heel, right under the hosel. Don't hit it there.

This is my gamer. I found there isn't much forgiveness on the heel, right under the hosel. Don't hit it there.
I'm still searching for a driver with forgiveness in that spot. Don't know why they can't figure it out.

I'm still searching for a driver with forgiveness in that spot. Don't know why they can't figure it out.

There are a few, but not in the DBD-esque profile. V-Series and XR aren't bad towards the low heel. G30 is worth a look.

There are a few, but not in the DBD-esque profile. V-Series and XR aren't bad towards the low heel. G30 is worth a look.
I assumed that was a blugold joke referring to a shank or hosel rocket. I do miss all over the face though, including on the heel, so thanks for the suggestions! :D

I assumed that was a blugold joke referring to a shank or hosel rocket. I do miss all over the face though, including on the heel, so thanks for the suggestions! :D
I was being silly.

Back