Callaway Big Bertha V Series Heavenwood - Technology Q&A

Bought one of the new great bb hw's in stiff. Thinking that may help. Will be selling my V series soon

Well first round in the books with this and it was less than desirable. Pulled the ball every time I hit this club yesterday. No one was anywhere around so I dropped a 2nd ball and hit my 5 wood and had no issue so I dont think it was my swing. There is a bit of an offset so I guess I just need to get used to it and get some range time in. Was pretty frustrated yesterday though.

Well first round in the books with this and it was less than desirable. Pulled the ball every time I hit this club yesterday. No one was anywhere around so I dropped a 2nd ball and hit my 5 wood and had no issue so I dont think it was my swing. There is a bit of an offset so I guess I just need to get used to it and get some range time in. Was pretty frustrated yesterday though.

The lightweight fairway shaft (if you're playing it with the Bassara) took some getting used to. Once I did, I became (and remain) a huge fan. I think my previous shaft had something like a 70g shaft in there.

The lightweight fairway shaft (if you're playing it with the Bassara) took some getting used to. Once I did, I became (and remain) a huge fan. I think my previous shaft had something like a 70g shaft in there.

Yeah I have the stock shaft in it. One of those things where I had such high hopes and just couldnt make it work and I got really frustrated. Definitely just need some range time with it to get comfortable.

Thinking I might give this one a go again if I can find one on the cheap. My last one I paid the full $250 after tax. I have a 69g Graman shaft I think would work out perfectly in it around 42.25" or so.

Yeah I have the stock shaft in it. One of those things where I had such high hopes and just couldnt make it work and I got really frustrated. Definitely just need some range time with it to get comfortable.

Just swing.

Just swing.

yup. Just swing. Heck I don't even think that I am playing one down in flex. Just blast away.

It took a few rounds for me to quit pulling or hitting huge draws with mine

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Just swing.

If only it were that easy. I did just that with my 5 wood right after. As I said, the course was empty so I played multiple balls, and had no problem. After a few bad shots with it, it definitely got into my head. Just gonna take some time. Just got a bit frustrated yesterday with it. Then again, havent swung a club on a course since July so could be that too. Haha

If only it were that easy. I did just that with my 5 wood right after. As I said, the course was empty so I played multiple balls, and had no problem. After a few bad shots with it, it definitely got into my head. Just gonna take some time. Just got a bit frustrated yesterday with it. Then again, havent swung a club on a course since July so could be that too. Haha

It really is that easy, truly. No thinking, no considering face angle or any of that jazz, just swing.

Seriously.

I did the exact same thing my first times out with it, and I shelved it because of it. Then, took it out on a whim and just swung the damn thing, instant win.

Anyone know what the head weighs ?
Curious for proper shaft tipping.

Thanks

Has anybody compared this with the GBB Heavenwood? I wanted to so bad today but they didn't have the Heavenwood at the demo day.

In case any missed my post in the GBB Fairway thread I had a chance to test them head to head on a monitor yesterday.
For me it wasn't even close. Both had Stock R flex shafts.

Club-----------------------------Carry------Total—Backspin--Avg Offline-----------Launch
GBB HW (neutral settings)----196---------216-----3424-----------7.5--------------------15.4
V Series HW---------------------179--------196------5081------------4.1-------------------16.6

I will say though that I briefly owned the V Series HW for about a month and on the course I could hit it every bit of 200 yds. I wouldn't expect that number to include much roll since I hit a very high ball with it. So I am not sure if the excess spin kills distance on the monitor or not but in real life I definitely saw more than a 179 carry from it. My first ever shot with it on the course was off the deck and it went 201. So take the monitor numbers with a grain of salt.

One thing I noticed after hitting the GBB HW was how much lighter the V Series version felt. I preferred the GBB version a lot better.

In case any missed my post in the GBB Fairway thread I had a chance to test them head to head on a monitor yesterday.
For me it wasn't even close. Both had Stock R flex shafts.

Club-----------------------------Carry------Total—Backspin--Avg Offline-----------Launch
GBB HW (neutral settings)----196---------216-----3424-----------7.5--------------------15.4
V Series HW---------------------179--------196------5081------------4.1-------------------16.6

I will say though that I briefly owned the V Series HW for about a month and on the course I could hit it every bit of 200 yds. I wouldn't expect that number to include much roll since I hit a very high ball with it. So I am not sure if the excess spin kills distance on the monitor or not but in real life I definitely saw more than a 179 carry from it. My first ever shot with it on the course was off the deck and it went 201. So take the monitor numbers with a grain of salt.

One thing I noticed after hitting the GBB HW was how much lighter the V Series version felt. I preferred the GBB version a lot better.
I ended up buying the GBB Heavenwood in stiff without even hitting it based on how I liked the GBB 3-wood. I love it. I can hit it way better than I can hit a hybrid.

That being said I haven't dialed in the distances too much. My local range isn't the best to judge distance due to how often they move the hitting area without updating the yardage sign. I have it set to +1 draw right now and it's working really well (as far as lateral dispersion goes).

I'll end up working out the distances by trial and error on the course. Who knows maybe I'll end up buying a rangefinder or GPS!

Sent from my Lenovo TAB S8-50F using Tapatalk

Anyone know the weight of the V Series HW head ?

This club is honesty making my 3 wood obsolete. I hit it so much better.

This club is honesty making my 3 wood obsolete. I hit it so much better.
I took my 3 wood from the bag

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Snagged a head. Having a heavier shaft installed. Picking it up tomorrow. Can't wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Limey Heavenwood is ready for the course.
e28bf6bbd79de295880760e81923d6bd.jpg
9cc019f4dcfa6cfeffea9e9a68948eff.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I finally had my first decent on-course swing with the Heavenwood today. I had the course pretty much to myself today at Rutgers and was on #5 (323yd flat, straight par 4) and hit my driver down the right side of the fairway and thought why not. I know it's 20.5*, but I still wasn't prepared to see it launch that high off the tee. I hit it down the middle of the fairway and it ended up going about 230 total. It's a shame that I smothered it from the fairway on #12 (pretty much what I've done every time I've tried to hit it from the fairway, but that's probably from trying to swing too hard). Back to work on it from the fairway, but it's pretty sweet off the tee (sample size of 1).

I'm going to get rid of mine soon.

When I struggled with driver this weekend, it was nice to be able to go the HW and see awesome distance with crazy launch. I wish every club was as easy to launch as this one.

Back