Callaway Chrome Soft Golf Ball Review Thread

What will be interesting is to see how these work out in cooler temps, the see how they react in "normal" conditions. Price Point is such that if they're as good as everyone says. It could be a 12 month ball.

From what I have read in here, this ball could be in danger of kicking the Bridgestone out of my bag - will have to find some when they arrive over here

What will be interesting is to see how these work out in cooler temps, the see how they react in "normal" conditions. Price Point is such that if they're as good as everyone says. It could be a 12 month ball.

I would agree with the thought of it being a 12 month ball.....I think the compression can work very well in all conditions.

I used to play the Chrome +, but the durability was lacking, so I moved on to other options. They could get chewed up pretty good just from the club face. I've played the ProV1, the ProV1x, the ZStar XV, SR2, SR3, SR3*, Supersoft, B330RX and none of them have the combination of distance while staying on line and green side spin as the Chrome Soft. I have dozens upon dozens of balls laying around I've played then given up on. When I got the Chrome Softs at #TheGauntlet, I didn't put them in play until after I got home and had a healthy swing again. I was seeing more distance off the tee and my approach shots were sticking. My index started dropping again and is the lowest its ever been. At my skill level, its easier to make dramatic movements in scoring than someone in the mid to low single digit range, and the Chrome Soft precipitated one of those moves.

Sorry if either of these questions have already been answered in this thread and I just missed them trying to read over the 14 pages....

1. How do these compare to the FG Tour ball? Are they as soft or softer?

2. I currently play the Titleist NXT Tour S. How do these compare to those?

When I got a box of these at The Gauntlet and tried them out I immediately thought of the project(a) balls from TM which I really like. I like these more though.

Unfortunately, I've played exactly 27 holes of golf since early September. Not near enough time to make any claims.

I will say one thing though, I hit plenty of bombs with these during the Sunday round of The Gauntlet. Even my dead, knuckle ball miss (Alpha head is too low of spin for me so this is my biggest miss with it) almost drove the short par 4. I'm lucky I didn't catch it well or it would have flown the green.

I compared these directly to the SR2 balls that we received as well. Personally, I wouldn't spend the extra money on the SR line. The Chrome Soft is that good.

Sorry if either of these questions have already been answered in this thread and I just missed them trying to read over the 14 pages....

I struggled with durability of the FG Tour ball so did not use it after a couple of rounds.
THe NXT Tour S is not even in the same league as it has a surlyn cover.

Despite what is being marketed, the NXT Tour S is closer to balls like the Q-Star, e6, etc than it is anything with a urethane cover.

This is the comparison I'm most interested in too. Spec-wise, the balls seem similar. FG Tour is a 70 compression 4 layer urethane ball that's incredibly durable for me. It works so well for me that I bought out our local Academy Sports when they ran a 29.99 special on them. The only real issue I have with them is the cover seems to stain easily and get dull. I'm almost out and don't want to go full price to get more FG tours. These Chrome Softs are so intriguing. Has anyone played both? What differences do you see

This thread is making me start to regret telling everyone just to get me boxes of the e6 for Christmas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I struggled with durability of the FG Tour ball so did not use it after a couple of rounds.
THe NXT Tour S is not even in the same league as it has a surlyn cover.

Despite what is being marketed, the NXT Tour S is closer to balls like the Q-Star, e6, etc than it is anything with a urethane cover.
Awesome JB. Is there any way you could get comparative numbers on FG Tour too, assuming you are bringing the monitor out to compare CS and SS?

Awesome JB. Is there any way you could get comparative numbers on FG Tour too, assuming you are bringing the monitor out to compare CS and SS?

I dont have any FG Tour balls. If anybody has some, I would be happy to.
Not sure what kind of numbers you were looking for though. The SS vs CS was asked because of driver spin with one being urethane and one being surlyn.

I dont have any FG Tour balls. If anybody has some, I would be happy to.
Not sure what kind of numbers you were looking for though. The SS vs CS was asked because of driver spin with one being urethane and one being surlyn.
Driver spin, launch, carry and total distance. I have a slowish swing speed and get too much backspin with my driver. FG Tour just plays longer for me than do harder tour balls like PV1, and performs just as well (if not better) around the greens. Chrome Soft looks to be a similar compression and construction, and at a better price point. I am just hoping to get some objective preseason comparisons from those who were able to get their hands on some CS before they release to the rest of us.

Driver spin, launch, carry and total distance. I have a slowish swing speed and get too much backspin with my driver. FG Tour just plays longer for me than do harder tour balls like PV1, and performs just as well (if not better) around the greens. Chrome Soft looks to be a similar compression and construction, and at a better price point. I am just hoping to get some objective preseason comparisons from those who were able to get their hands on some CS before they release to the rest of us.

The Chrome soft is less compression than the FG Tour, so if going lower has worked for you, my gut says you might find more gains.

If anybody has the FG Tour, I will certainly grab some for you.

I can't tell you how curious I am to get the Chrome SS on a launch monitor and see some numbers. What we've been taught about compression tells me these should not be ideal for me, but some guys with serious juice at the Grandaddy were raving about these so I'm very intrigued to say the least.

I can't tell you how curious I am to get the Chrome SS on a launch monitor and see some numbers. What we've been taught about compression tells me these should not be ideal for me, but some guys with serious juice at the Grandaddy were raving about these so I'm very intrigued to say the least.

I would love to get your feedback. I think you will be shocked how will they work even with your crazy fast SS.

I've played both the CS and FG tour extensively. I think the overall softness is similar but to me the FG felt a little bit mushy where the CS seems to have a bit more snap after compressing. The FG lined up with the ProV1 for me where the CS was a little softer, straighter, more durable version of the Chrome +.

As far as the NXT goes, they are not even in the same ballpark.

I would love to get your feedback. I think you will be shocked how will they work even with your crazy fast SS.
My SS is usually 110-115mph and I'm in love with these golf balls. This ball will feel like you shot it out of a cannon.

My SS is usually 110-115mph and I'm in love with these golf balls. This ball will feel like you shot it out of a cannon.

Yeah you get after the ball and it worked really well for you. Then it worked for so many others with slower speeds. Pretty impressive.

And it worked really well for numerous high SS players during the #Grandaddy.

No doubt this covers a very large spectrum.

Yeah you get after the ball and it worked really well for you. Then it worked for so many others with slower speeds. Pretty impressive.

And it worked really well for numerous high SS players during the #Grandaddy.

No doubt this covers a very large spectrum.
I agree. The odd side effect is that Callaway may have just beat Titleist to the finish line of their own marketing pitch. A true ball for everyone.

I agree. The odd side effect is that Callaway may have just beat Titleist to the finish line of their own marketing pitch. A true ball for everyone.

LOL, hadn't thought of that yet. Fantastic catch there.

I really can't wait to grab a few dozen.

I'm really looking forward to putting the CS into play tomorrow. After the #Grandaddy rounds I am very intrigued and excited to see it on a course I am very familiar with. Its going to be an early morning round and I'm thinking the soft compression is going to be perfect!

Global Golf sent me a free dozen Chrome Soft and I cannot wait to put them in play.

Merry Christmas to all!!!

Back