Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Golf Balls

I'm splitting a dozen of these with a buddy to see how they work for my game. I'm pretty excited to see what they offer compared to the CSX that I've enjoyed.

I'm splitting a dozen of these with a buddy to see how they work for my game. I'm pretty excited to see what they offer compared to the CSX that I've enjoyed.

Ill be curious about your thoughts.

Just played this ball in the tech studio and came away pretty darn impressed. Speed stayed consistent with the X, which to me was one of the fastest balls on the market previously. Definitely lower spin on full swings and overall a pretty good experience.
What is your driver loft. I found same with greenside spin and approach shots. Driver trajectory seem a tad low. Going to go +1 or 2 and see what happens. Was playing at 9°

A sleeve of these should be on its way to me for some testing. With any luck, I get them this week and put them in play Saturday.

A sleeve of these should be on its way to me for some testing. With any luck, I get them this week and put them in play Saturday.
They are a good ball, I just need to tinker with my driver. I’ll be able to do some tinkering tomorrow.

Played the CSX-LS over the weekend and even though my ball striking was a mess the ball did very well in the windy conditions. It performed very well in the short game. Chipping and putting were very solid.

Well I played this ball a bit last time I played the course I did today, and played it a bunch today.

It is not for that course. 👎 Not that many are, or it was expected to be. It's kind of the ultimate ball tester. The greens are rock hard and fast, and playing a harder 'low spin' ball had an undeniable and undesired effect on outcomes on approach. A little bit more release can turn into a lot, in a hurry there. I'm not used to having 50' putts on wedges I land where I want to. There was something about how it bounced on the greens. Could hear and see that it was a little different.

Like I said in my initial impressions, I think it spins fine. Greenside appears good. Like it on the putter. It seems to do what it's designed to do. And those things are pretty useful to a lot of people. I'll play through the sleeve I have open, but I'm not sure it's for me. Definitely not at that course.

Well I played this ball a bit last time I played the course I did today, and played it a bunch today.

It is not for that course. 👎 Not that many are, or it was expected to be. It's kind of the ultimate ball tester. The greens are rock hard and fast, and playing a harder 'low spin' ball had an undeniable and undesired effect on outcomes on approach. A little bit more release can turn into a lot, in a hurry there. I'm not used to having 50' putts on wedges I land where I want to. There was something about how it bounced on the greens. Could hear and see that it was a little different.

Like I said in my initial impressions, I think it spins fine. Greenside appears good. Like it on the putter. It seems to do what it's designed to do. And those things are pretty useful to a lot of people. I'll play through the sleeve I have open, but I'm not sure it's for me. Definitely not at that course.
I was actually going to put them in play this Friday but the greens are super hard and fast and after hearing this I may hold off for this week and use the sleeve of MTB-X I have.

Got a sleeve today thanks to @Muchmore18 so I will try them out on Saturday.

I was actually going to put them in play this Friday but the greens are super hard and fast and after hearing this I may hold off for this week and use the sleeve of MTB-X I have.
Is it a tournament? Will you lose money to or be mocked by your friends for your spin? :LOL:. If not, go for it man. It's a game, and it's gonna be a different/better/worse fit for everyone differently. To me that sounds like the perfect place to see if it plays for you. That's why I used it where I did today. It seems long, too, so bang away and see what the benefits vs. drawbacks are for ya!

Would this ball be a big winner on wet soft golf courses?

Would this ball be a big winner on wet soft golf courses?
I've liked it on the ones I've played. It carries nicely, and seems to do well in the breeze. I really do like a firm ball, and I spin my short irons and wedges extremely well, so it's been typical outcomes. On those courses I've had no issues.

Is it a tournament? Will you lose money to or be mocked by your friends for your spin? :LOL:. If not, go for it man. It's a game, and it's gonna be a different/better/worse fit for everyone differently. To me that sounds like the perfect place to see if it plays for you. That's why I used it where I did today. It seems long, too, so bang away and see what the benefits vs. drawbacks are for ya!
True. I like your logic. Not a tournament. I have a couple of those next month. First place, the greens are prestine right now. It's at the Jack Nicklaus course near me. My other one at end of April I'm looking forward to but not at the same time. The course has punched the greens the Tuesday before our tournament the last 3 years.

Screenshot_20210324-092614_TheGrint.jpg

And before anyone thinks I'm dogging on them, I did hit what's surely a personal best off the tee today with it. ^ Actual drive. You can see there's kind of a dry line in the satellite photo where you go over and downhill a bit, but that actually happened today. The tees are backed up against the property fence and the goal is always to carry over that crest. Which I/it did, and obviously got good roll. So that was awesome.

And then that wedge in didn't hold for ****. :LOL:

Last edited:
Well, a little bummed. Not going to get to take these to the course tomorrow as planned. Father-in-law asked me for my help and it's supposed to rain all day and then get into some heavy rain tonight, so course will probably be a sopping mess and then rain Saturday and Sunday. Maybe next week.

The Chrome soft is one of my go to balls. Looking forward to trying to new version

Was going to play these for a few holes today in the muck, but a drive got squirrelly on me right off the bat. Don't think they're going to be a fit for me. Really curious to hear how some of you guys do with them this weekend that want some spin reduction. That drive was moving like a left dash. There could be serious benefits in there for the right players.

Played this ball today in some really strong winds. I gotta say, it held up really well in the conditions! It was able to fly straight, hold certain lines and not balloon out of control with the higher lofted clubs (one 7i shot non withstanding). I even had one rip back a couple feet with a 9i today so spin isn’t an issue when you need it. It pierces through the wind pretty darn well.

It does have its issues like any ball if you put an uncontrolled swing on it, but I’m all in on the LS for the year!

Let's try this again. Tee time for this Friday afternoon. Weather will be sunny and around 55*. Going to take the kiddo out for her first round of 2021, so should be a good time to test it out. This will also be the first time out with my Mav Max fwy woods after they have been reshafted to a heavier/stiffer flex. Excited to see what this ball does with both them and the EPIC LS.

Last edited:
I used these on a par 3 course Saturday in windy conditions and these did very well in the wind. I'm going to do further testing between them and the 2020 CSX as one of these will be my ball this year

So got a little time with these today. I will say I’m super impressed. Love the feel through the entire bag. On the first hole I hit a long drive and straighter than usual. I was 50 yards shy of the green where as I’m normally 75-100 out from the blue tees. I played the whites today which were 20 yards forward, due to temps and wind. It was high 30s when I tees off. Winds were so bad I was clubbing up 2 clubs and still coming up short, but either way I loved the feel of this ball off the driver, fwy woods, irons, wedges and putter. Now my game was absolute garbage today but the good shots were fantastic with this ball. Didn’t really notice a difference around the green either. I did swap between this, the Snell MTB-X and the 2019 CSX TT. It felt closer to the Snell, but was firmer than the 2019 CSX. Didn’t have any of the 2020 CSX to put side by side but this is a great ball at first impression. Would like some time with it in some warmer temps to see what kind of engine this thing has under the hood.

Picked up a box of yellow TT today

Plan is to put these in play tomorrow and compare to the regular CS I normally play.

I played this ball today, second round with it. I typically play prov1x or prov1. The Callaway seems lower on drives but similar or slightly longer distance. Irons are similar . I’m typically a high spin player on chips, actually too high, so this ball works well with its lower spin. Not crazy about the feel. However I’m intrigued enough to keep playing it for awhile.

Back