Callaway Great Big Bertha Divine Nine Fairway Wood - THP Review Thread

Wonder what happens when you put in a 70g shaft in the Divine9 with a bit lower torque for accuracy -- even though torque is a balance (too tight and you swing too hard, too loose and you lose confidence)

Well after being on the mend for 2+ weeks, I was back in action yesterday. I feel bad because this club arrived and it got very little action due to my hiatus. Anyway, the round yesterday was at my home course. Pretty much scrapped everything from the range session with it and was starting fresh. Played the back 9 first as I was told it was empty so it could provide some time for lots of testing.

First real test for it came from the rough on the par 4 13th, it's an all up hill hole with a two tiered green, which I say is one of the more difficult par 4's in the are. Side note, one of 2 holes I have yet to birdie on this course. Back to the Divine 9, pin was in the back of the green and I was 183 to the pin, again playing up hill so add roughly 10 yards(194 slope reading). Took a nice easy swing, same as I do with a heavenwood, and the ball jumped out of the rough with no issues and carried on to the 2nd tier of the green, giving me probably the best birdie look I've had all year on this hole. Really surprised at how nicely the club got through the rough and popped the ball out.

6c20fe868aa2c10be8c9e52c32d94f38.jpg

2 holes later I highlighted those shots from 185 to COG. With 4 swings, hitting the green 3 times, and one missing not badly(took a hard bounce just past the fringe). Don't know about you guys, but 75% from that yardage, I'll take that every single time. On the 16th I did the same test from 190 and saw similar results, being 4/6 from that range.

The ball flight is high, it really gets up in the air. On the range 2 weeks ago, I didn't like it that much, on the course, different story. Club was just so easy to hit and elevate the ball, easier to hit than a hybrid for me.

Now the miss, for me it's a big spinner when I don't catch it. The ball shoots up in the air, seems like it floats, and then just drops. That's my same miss with the heavenwood so I kind of expected that. That seemed to rob a good 10-12 yards of distance. Some of that could be shaft as I'm playing this in the regular flex KK shaft. Something I will keep an eye out on.

Wonder what happens when you put in a 70g shaft in the Divine9 with a bit lower torque for accuracy -- even though torque is a balance (too tight and you swing too hard, too loose and you lose confidence)

I wouldn't mind trying a little heavier shaft, maybe a stiffer flex too. When I compare the flights of this to my x2 hot 4 hybrid, I get a noticeably higher flight on this one. Distance edge goes to my hybrid. The accuracy for me though has been pretty good, based on yesterday. This was 2 tee shots hit on a hole that I normally use either the heavenwood or 4 hybrid on.

c6f886c9aba34f11c58b80bf88b15e83.jpg

Callaway Great Big Bertha Divine Nine Fairway Wood - THP Review Thread

Great thoughts Dean. As someone who doesn't carry a 5i, this club seems like it will fill the gap perfectly.

Great thoughts Dean. As someone who doesn't carry a 5i, this club seems like it willful the gap perfectly.

that's kind of the slot I'm seeing it in.

Nice course, Dean, and good shots.

I was thinking that with stiff flex and heavier shaft (let's say 70g), it could bring down flight and spin enough to add more yardage and help on windy rounds.

Nice course, Dean, and good shots.

I was thinking that with stiff flex and heavier shaft (let's say 70g), it could bring down flight and spin enough to add more yardage and help on windy rounds.

without a doubt. We are on the same wavelength

Dean, I love hearing how easy it is to hit this club and how it just launches high and stops soft for you. On those misses where you're seeing the weak spinny flight, do you recall where you were hitting them on the face? Could it have just been a bit of gear effect etc?

Dean, I love hearing how easy it is to hit this club and how it just launches high and stops soft for you. On those misses where you're seeing the weak spinny flight, do you recall where you were hitting them on the face? Could it have just been a bit of gear effect etc?

Still a straight flight with little movement left or right, just ones that go up and just fall. Believe those misses were low on the face. Contact was fairly good yesterday, didn't have to test out the heel/toe much which was nice.

ddec - how far do you hit your x2 hot 22* hybrid ?

I wonder what damage I could do with this.

carry around 195.

So the Divine 9 is essentially the same yardage ? I figured being 2" longer than a 4h it would be 10-20 yds longer.

So the Divine 9 is essentially the same yardage ? I figured being 2" longer than a 4h it would be 10-20 yds longer.

about 10 yards shorter(early testing) and a much higher flight. In the end, I don't think they will be very different. More about preference IMO

This club is really on my radar. I believe it will really fill a gap in my bag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

about 10 yards shorter(early testing) and a much higher flight. In the end, I don't think they will be very different. More about preference IMO

makes sense. Thanks for the input.

I may need to try the heavenwood and the Divine nine and see the distance varience to gap what I am looking for. Great feedback so far

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I think this bad boy might be exactly what I need. I need that 200-210 club. This might fit the bill perfectly. Need something that's easier to hit than my 4 iron. Strong ponder.

I got to take a few swings on course with this one today. I have to say, I was really surprised with how much I liked it. Depending on the course, I could almost see the HVN and DVN as the only two woods in the bag, or maybe in combination w. a mini driver.

The Heavenwood and this Divine could cause a shakeup in my bag, I really just like hitting fairway woods better than hybrids and long irons. I'm in hard ponder mode just trying to make myself wait until next spring to try them out.

I wanted to shake up this thread and ask for any update.

I have a 22 XR Hy, but I tend to like fairway woods, maybe it's their reassuring shape and added forgiveness. The XR goes high and stop, so it is not height.

I think the issue with a 24 degree Divine 9 is the KK Black 55g shaft -- when you are talking 3-4i gapper, 55g is fairly light, usually high launching with spin. I don't think a lot of us need that help in a shaft. Perhaps a 65-75g shaft (or more for strong swingers) in a higher kick, lower spin shaft is a better fit. Of course, this increases swingweight, which may help some. So one can keep the std length of 41.5 or put it to a more forgiving 41 in in a heavier shaft to maintain swingweight at D2 or so.

I had a XHot 23 deg 9 wood for 2 weeks about 2 years ago, and the light shaft was weak, the flight, even with a more meager swingspeed at that time was high and ballooning, robbing distance.

Looking at no upcharge choices, I see an Aldila Rogue Silver 60 - less torque, mid-high kick, lower launch.

Thoughts?

I wanted to shake up this thread and ask for any update.

I have a 22 XR Hy, but I tend to like fairway woods, maybe it's their reassuring shape and added forgiveness. The XR goes high and stop, so it is not height.

I think the issue with a 24 degree Divine 9 is the KK Black 55g shaft -- when you are talking 3-4i gapper, 55g is fairly light, usually high launching with spin. I don't think a lot of us need that help in a shaft. Perhaps a 65-75g shaft (or more for strong swingers) in a higher kick, lower spin shaft is a better fit. Of course, this increases swingweight, which may help some. So one can keep the std length of 41.5 or put it to a more forgiving 41 in in a heavier shaft to maintain swingweight at D2 or so.

I had a XHot 23 deg 9 wood for 2 weeks about 2 years ago, and the light shaft was weak, the flight, even with a more meager swingspeed at that time was high and ballooning, robbing distance.

Looking at no upcharge choices, I see an Aldila Rogue Silver 60 - less torque, mid-high kick, lower launch.

Thoughts?

I ordered my Heavenwood with the Aldila Rogue 70 I/O for some of the same reasons and I think it's a perfect match for these higher lofted fairways.

I ordered my Heavenwood with the Aldila Rogue 70 I/O for some of the same reasons and I think it's a perfect match for these higher lofted fairways.

What are the differences between this one and the regular Rogue?

What are the differences between this one and the regular Rogue?
I believe the I/O technology to toughen (probably not the right word) up the tip of the shaft.

I swung this club three times today with not so good results. For me, it feels like the shaft is too short (compared to the heaven wood) and the face is too closed. I just can't get comfortable standing over the ball with it.

I have the same combo in my 3w and I'm quite surprised by the launch. I would imagine at 5 or so degrees more in loft, it's absolutely perfect

Back