Callaway Great Big Bertha Driver Review Thread

I DON'T need to read this....

I was hitting my 815 the best I ever have (and it wasn't close) yesterday, and now I am intrigued by this....

I tried to resist my friend, I did. But even with the possibilites of December looming...I needed that blue. Especially after gaming the 815 uDesign in blue before getting the GBB.

SO PRETTY!
I love it dude

Please post pics of that blue GBB when it gets in! I'm sure it will look even better in hand.

Sent from my iPhone 6 plus using Tapatalk

Please post pics of that blue GBB when it gets in! I'm sure it will look even better in hand.

Sent from my iPhone 6 plus using Tapatalk

Oh you know I will buddy!

I finally got this thing dialed in. My first 18 with the GBB was hit and miss. I hit some very good drives, but also had some pretty big pull hooks. I think I finally adjusted to the lighter overall head weight, because my last 18 was great.

Set up: 9* Neutral, weight right over the "fade" writing in the track. Playing a Handcrafted LZ 70 6.5 at 45". D3 SW.

Results: 9/13 Fwy's hit. I averaged 282 yds on the 9 balls that hit the fwy, including a dirty 245yd hook, that managed to stay in the fwy. Long drive was 304 yds. I didn't come close to losing a ball of the tee, which is saying something for me. I usually pump one OB per round.

Overall impressions: Very forgiving directionally and distance wise. Once acclimated to it, it became very easy to hit well. Plenty long. I'd say it is definitely as long as my Fly-Z+, but probably has a greater average distance overall, due to its forgiveness. I love the finish. It's durable on the crown and looks good. It sounds and feels great. I feel like the Handcrafted LZ 70 is a great fit with this head. I feel like this head will fit a very wide range of golfers. It seems to be pretty low spin overall, imo...

The only issue I'm still having, is the weight moving on it's own. After about 4 strikes it has migrated a bunch, so I keep re-setting it during the round. It is torqued all the way down. I will look into contacting Callaway after I get back from my vacation.

I am so happy with this driver. Hit 10 balls on the range. Ball flight is pleasing and even with a couple bad swings the results were a slight fade and still out there and the other a slight pull.

Hit this a few times this past Saturday, I enjoy it. It took the best parts of the Big Bertha and Alpha and it's a very solid driver.

Just traded my V Series for the GBB. Excited to see how it works in the real world, but had good numbers inside.

Looks like I might get to hit one of these next weekend. With the red tie shaft no less.

Should work wonders in my ponder this winter

Went by PGA and tried a couple of more shafts and settings. Still not convinced on the White Tie 55 Stiff and tried the Rogue 60 Regular. Also moved the slide from more of a draw setting to more of a fade setting. Dispersion was definitely the best with this setup, but my spin numbers were a little high. Had 14-15 launch with 3000-3200 spin, but right down the middle. Dispersion wise I seem to like a little heavier shaft, and it will be a balance of that and ball speed and spin. Still trying to dial this in, and keep getting the whisper of the DBD head to bring down the spin. Which it does exceptionally well.

Got my driver yesterday and starting to dial it in on flightscope. This driver suits me me much better than my r15. For instance i had the r15 set to 16 and i was only launching at 12. With the bertha set to 11.5 i was launching at 17 with around 3000 spin for me which helps me as my swing speed is only around 80 and tbis is giving me more carry. First test on the course today.

3000 isn't technically all that high, and it's not always the enemy.

It's ideal for me, I need the spin to get the ball in the air and keep it there for a bit longer. With my r15 it would drop out the air on some shots. It seems this head is just a better fit for me.

Yeah definitely not. I did occasionally get a 3,700-3,800 spin which hurt my yardage, but that is a swing thing no club is going to fix. Plugging in numbers on the Flightscope analyzer, based on my swing speed looks like 2,700-2,800 is the sweet spot. So real close. I would take the dispersion I was seeing any day. My carry yardage was within a 3 yard range on about 15 swings.

First few Holes with the new toy... Not mad at all. Used for $280
2ecd011fc01fa871c0f40c12d2bb6092.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The GBB is flat out performing for me at the Gethering. Might have missed 1 fairway so far out of 13

Had a mixed bag with the Bertha today, those were mainly down to poor swings. What I did notice is am getting more carry which I am happy with. Still not decided wher to put the weight, I play with a slight fade and my bad shot is a pull due to coming over the top. What would be the best position of the weight to keep my fade. Do I keep it in the neutral setting or more to the fade setting?

Nice buy, glad it is working for you

The GBB is flat out performing for me at the Gethering. Might have missed 1 fairway so far out of 13

Hit mine on the range for first time today and was pleased with trajectory and slight draw. Left slider in the middle. What effect does moving it to "fade" have?

Hit mine on the range for first time today and was pleased with trajectory and slight draw. Left slider in the middle. What effect does moving it to "fade" have?
Will make the weighting more fade oriented.

My sliding weight moves. Can't keep it in place. You can tighten it down with a click or two and then while on the range it will just keep walking down the track.

Will make the weighting more fade oriented.

For me I wish that was the case, I can fade most drivers, can only go left with this one. Have tried 7 different shafts and it's no Bueno. Damn shame, just a beautiful looking club.

For me I wish that was the case, I can fade most drivers, can only go left with this one. Have tried 7 different shafts and it's no Bueno. Damn shame, just a beautiful looking club.
Interesting indeed. Goes to show the role of the actual swing. As mentioned in the review during my testing there was definitely an effect on ball flight based on the location of the apw (indeed on a launch monitor for those curious) .

That said, it makes sense why it has more draw options than fade, 95% don't need the fade setting and won't be fit into it, it's the same reason cobra used their fitting data and decided to eliminate the fade settings when they went to the Bio Cell style adapter.

Love it though because it shows the importance of knowing the tech in the club, and then hitting it and seeing if that tech fits your particular swing needs.

My sliding weight moves. Can't keep it in place. You can tighten it down with a click or two and then while on the range it will just keep walking down the track.
It will continue to do so...take it back to place of purchase and get a replacement. My replacement has not budged in 5 rounds since getting it exchanged.

Back