Callaway JAWS Full Toe Wedges

I got to check these out at the shop last night but unfortunately they don't have a demo one to hit yet..

54 arrived today. Only took 11 days from order to doorstep, so not too bad at all. I just took it out and had a few 20 yard chips in the back yard, so not too much thoughts yet.

One thing I really like is the stock Lamkin grip without cords. I know it's all perfect preference, but I think they feel great. The other thing I noticed, is that after about 40 chips, hitting off tight lies with a square face is easier with this club than with my 54 2019 PM grind. The PM grind does lay open flatter (if that makes sense), but the JFT looks way better at address to my eye. More like a normal traditional wedge.

I'll try to get it out to the short game range this weekend to get some more thoughts out here.

I saw these in person for the first time and I am very excited to try these. The head shape is almost identical to the Hi Toe which I have played for 3 years.

I saw these in person for the first time and I am very excited to try these. The head shape is almost identical to the Hi Toe which I have played for 3 years.

i think it may be the best full face version yet.

I thought the same thing and said it to James last weekend. I really liked the shape, it was more HiToe to me than previous models, which to me is a great thing. Much more streamlined look at appearance. I believe they will be popular with the grandaddy squad.

I thought the same thing and said it to James last weekend. I really liked the shape, it was more HiToe to me than previous models, which to me is a great thing. Much more streamlined look at appearance. I believe they will be popular with the grandaddy squad.

I have been wanting that shape since I was selected for the Grandaddy and my prayers have been answered. The PM grind shape was just too extreme for me. Hoping for a murdered out 54 and 60.

I have had a few rounds with the JFT now and I really really like it from the grass including full swings, partial swings and touch shots. Unfortunately at the moment it isn’t working for me out of the sand. I feel like I have been in traps with bad sand lately but my confidence in the sand is shot. My sand game tends to be a bit steep and I don’t know if that isn’t a great combo with this wedge. I do need to go spend some time in the sand though. Right now my confidence in the sand is shot. I have never been a great sand player for a low handicap golfer but always had confidence that I would get the ball out of the sand and within about 10 feet. Right now that is totally gone.

Sandy practice range this morning. A little wear on my 54°.
7A32E3F9-742B-4EDE-8988-CB5604718CC0.jpeg

Post RC coverage I’ve got some deep thoughts on this wedge (I love it).

But I’m also going to buy some vinegar today and soak this one for a couple days…

I made a bold statement after trying this at my local PGA Superstore pre-release that it may be the best all around wedge that I have ever tried for my needs and style of playing. Having had this in the bag for a few rounds, I am standing by that statement. This wedge is that good.

So when these came out I didn't even bother to hit them, because despite finally changing their color scheme to exactly my taste, I'm just not a full toe/full face/etc guy. Have never had a single need or desire for one.

Finally broke down while checking some spin numbers on my clubs, and hitting some other stuff.

And I am 100% , for sure, NOT a full toe guy. They look cool from the back and bottom, but I actually hated them. With a passion. It was unexpected, and undeniable. Shape, transition, look, feel as I tried to move it around to simluate actually using all that real estate, all of it. And they have the spinner shaft I equally loathe. So this is surely be my last post in this thread. I wish everyone millions a great shots with them, but I'm out.

So when these came out I didn't even bother to hit them, because despite finally changing their color scheme to exactly my taste, I'm just not a full toe/full face/etc guy. Have never had a single need or desire for one.

Finally broke down while checking some spin numbers on my clubs, and hitting some other stuff.

And I am 100% , for sure, NOT a full toe guy. They look cool from the back and bottom, but I actually hated them. With a passion. It was unexpected, and undeniable. Shape, transition, look, feel as I tried to move it around to simluate actually using all that real estate, all of it. And they have the spinner shaft I equally loathe. So this is surely be my last post in this thread. I wish everyone millions a great shots with them, but I'm out.
Glad we got that cleared up, LOL. For me, the utility is not because it has grooves out to the toe. My predominant miss, even with wedges, is to the heel on full swings, which makes this offering counterintuitive. For me, the grind and weighting allow me to hit the low flying shots that take the one hop and stop easier than a traditional wedge, while at the same time allowing me to open the face. I actually bought a 58 and a 54 and I think the 54 is already out of the bag, because I use that wedge for a lot of full swings and where the weighting favors a toe miss, it wasn’t working very well on full swings for me.

I made a bold statement after trying this at my local PGA Superstore pre-release that it may be the best all around wedge that I have ever tried for my needs and style of playing. Having had this in the bag for a few rounds, I am standing by that statement. This wedge is that good.
It’s…pretty bulletproof.

I have nothing to nitpick. I’ve looked, I’ve scoured, if tried to pick it apart and I just can’t. It’s the most effectively versatile lob wedge I think I’ve ever tested.

Glad we got that cleared up, LOL. For me, the utility is not because it has grooves out to the toe. My predominant miss, even with wedges, is to the heel on full swings, which makes this offering counterintuitive. For me, the grind and weighting allow me to hit the low flying shots that take the one hop and stop easier than a traditional wedge, while at the same time allowing me to open the face. I actually bought a 58 and a 54 and I think the 54 is already out of the bag, because I use that wedge for a lot of full swings and where the weighting favors a toe miss, it wasn’t working very well on full swings for me.
This. VERSATILITY.

Plus, mortals miss toe side, having those grooves is nice to us mere mortals who aren’t wedge hitting machines. ;):LOL:

Post RC coverage I’ve got some deep thoughts on this wedge (I love it).

But I’m also going to buy some vinegar today and soak this one for a couple days…
Looking forward to this.

Looking forward to this.
She’s sitting in vinegar now.

Which gives me time to talk the versatility I started to a couple posts up.

And I full swing everything, like my wedges compact, only open when necessary (which is never as often as most want it to be), don't need the grooves out/up there, etc, etc. I didn't enjoy the flight and weight positioning vs. mine. It was less versatile for me and the shots I hit.

Which is totally fine. I think they're really cool, and damnit if I I don't want to like them. They're already popping into a lot of friends bags. And I've spotted them in a ton of bags at tournaments here the past couple weeks, because peeking is what I do :p. I love just about all the on paper changes, and do like the actual grind. I'm a sucker for a good C on most. Just not this particular wedge.

Love anything that helps people play better golf out there though, so don't think I'm against them or anything. They make sense, and I ordered a custom one for my wife's uncle yesterday that he is going to LOVE and win me some serious best nephew-in-law points come Christmas.

And I full swing everything, like my wedges compact, only open when necessary (which is never as often as most want it to be), don't need the grooves out/up there, etc, etc. I didn't enjoy the flight and weight positioning vs. mine. It was less versatile for me and the shots I hit.

Which is totally fine. I think they're really cool, and damnit if I I don't want to like them. They're already popping into a lot of friends bags. And I've spotted them in a ton of bags at tournaments here the past couple weeks, because peeking is what I do :p. I love just about all the on paper changes, and do like the actual grind. I'm a sucker for a good C on most. Just not this particular wedge.

Love anything that helps people play better golf out there though, so don't think I'm against them or anything. They make sense, and I ordered a custom one for my wife's uncle yesterday that he is going to LOVE and win me some serious best nephew-in-law points come Christmas.
In anticipation of getting my Titleist irons and the sheer surprise that so many clubs in my bag appear to be sliding towards Titleist, I picked up a couple Vokey blue slate wedges. The 58 is the M grind, which I think would be as close to this C grind as any other offerings. Sometimes, a club is performing really well for me because I am just “on,” that day. Sometimes, the reverse is also true, so I need have a larger sample size. I am going to compare the Vokey and this wedge very closely on a launch monitor as well, to see what the numbers actually say. I suspect that this one fits me better because it has been superb every time I have tried it, but it will be a fun experiment.

Like you said, not everything works well for everybody. It’s nice to have so many options available. And, yes, that will be one awesome gift.

What the ???!!! I wasn't digging the UTX because I nearly always grip down with my wedges and it felt super skinny. Since I just learned how to regrip and have done just one set of irons; this is what I found.

So can this possibly be right? There are 5 STEPs under the grip? Is this the way wedge shafts are done?

So it wasn't the UTX, it's the TT DG Spinner 115 narrow shaft diameter down low I couldn't stand. It's over an MM narrower then the PM Grind's fatter KBS Tour V 125. This is my only real negative on the JFT; I want a fatter stock wedge shaft, not a skinny mini.

PXL_20210925_225054403.jpg

Last edited:
What the ???!!! I wasn't digging the UTX because I nearly always grip down with my wedges and it felt super skinny. I just learned how to regrip and have done just one set of irons, this is what I found.

So can this possibly be right? There are 5 STEPs under the grip? Is this the way wedge shafts are done?

So it wasn't the UTX, it's the TT DG Spinner 115 narrow shaft diameter down low I couldn't stand. It's over an MM narrower then the PM Grind's fatter KBS Tour V 125. This is my only real negative on the JFT; I want a fatter stock wedge shaft, not a skinny mini.

View attachment 9030204
Just add some wraps and you will be good to go. (y)

What the ???!!! I wasn't digging the UTX because I nearly always grip down with my wedges and it felt super skinny. I just learned how to regrip and have done just one set of irons, this is what I found.

View attachment 9030204
Just a shaft design element. You can build it up with no worries

What the ???!!! I wasn't digging the UTX because I nearly always grip down with my wedges and it felt super skinny. Since I just learned how to regrip and have done just one set of irons; this is what I found.

View attachment 9030204
Freaking spinners man. You can biuld that up pretty easy but still 🤮

Thank guys, never knew. Luckily I put on an MCC Plus4. Freakin Spinners Man!, luv that, gonna be my new favorite saying:p

Freaking spinners man. You can biuld that up pretty easy but still 🤮
I guess I don’t get why it’s such a big deal? Or are you talking more a fit for you thing?

Back