Callaway MAVRIK Drivers

The bold is true. I went in the fitting expecting to go with the sz but the standard was a better fit. Callaway said they expect the standard to fit 70% of golfers.

I often wonder if they should have name the standard something different.
MAVRIK Super Cool?:p

And I think thats why ive typically gotten along with TM drivers and even the g410 LST I still have. I feel the heads better throughout the swing. I do swing the Mavrik just under 2mph faster, but no control of the head. I do like the look of the setup at address, but currently comfort level isn't there... Its only 20 swings so im sure im overreacting and its January

Honestly I went in to this year with the idea of keeping the m5 and getting one of the new drivers in a more forgiving head. I planned on either the SIM Max or standard Mavrik. When I hit the 10.5 SZ it was simply best of both worlds
Why’d you decide to not even try the Mav Max, if I may ask?

Why’d you decide to not even try the Mav Max, if I may ask?
Just the preconceived notion that it wouldn't work for me

The bold is true. I went in the fitting expecting to go with the sz but the standard was a better fit. Callaway said they expect the standard to fit 70% of golfers.

I often wonder if they should have name the standard something different.

The ball flight correction the Max offers is crazy. This head works so much better than the sliding weight. I played a cut off the tee in part of cleaning up my swing to keep it in play and not practicing enough to work on a draw. I had the sliding weight with the Epic Flash all the way to the heel and on occasion I would hit is straight, but more often than not it was a cut.

The Max with the heavy weight in the heel corrected the ball flight to straight with a slight draw. As someone who never has been able to hit a consistent draw this was eye opening. Put the heavy weight in the heel and its straight drives all day (crappy swings produce crappy results). I think the best part if the Max head isn't a high spin head. I am playing the 9* head and I am living in the mid 2000 range.

And I think thats why ive typically gotten along with TM drivers and even the g410 LST I still have. I feel the heads better throughout the swing. I do swing the Mavrik just under 2mph faster, but no control of the head. I do like the look of the setup at address, but currently comfort level isn't there... Its only 20 swings so im sure im overreacting and its January

Honestly I went in to this year with the idea of keeping the m5 and getting one of the new drivers in a more forgiving head. I planned on either the SIM Max or standard Mavrik. When I hit the 10.5 SZ it was simply best of both worlds

I have a heavier weight in my standard - 10g compared to the normal 4g. I came from the ping g400 max and I prefer heavier heads to feel it through the swing. I’m wondering if a heavier weight in the head will help you. Plus the shape of the standard at address resembles the ping heads to my eye which is why I was drawn to it.

If a more forgiving head is what you are looking for, then the max may have been a better fit. But yeah winter rust is real, definitely give it another try when it warms up.

I have a heavier weight in my standard - 10g compared to the normal 4g. I came from the ping g400 max and I prefer heavier heads to feel it through the swing. I’m wondering if a heavier weight in the head will help you. Plus the shape of the standard at address resembles the ping heads to my eye which is why I was drawn to it.

If a more forgiving head is what you are looking for, then the max may have been a better fit. But yeah winter rust is real, definitely give it another try when it warms up.
This is my first Callaway driver. Is it possible to buy heavier weights?

Yeah, you can get them at Golf Works, Billy Bob’s, ebay etc. I do think Callaway heads run light and on occasion have added some extra weight to mine. The std 5g is working fine for me now but may explore that in the future.

It sure is. I usually end up adding a few grams that way myself. Like noshanks, my driver came with a 10 gram weight also. And, I'm contemplating a few more grams. Looking at buying a weight kit off eBay. Try to get the feel right. I'm not a guy who's worried about swing weight. Just want to have a good feel.

I had no doubt that I'd be in the Max, but it was interesting seeing how many of us ended up in the Max. It's funny how numbers can change your perception of something.
I knew I would be also. It was funny how fast he dialed down the spin for me, first 3 swings I was living at 35-3600 and he made a loft change down and boom, 27-2800 and picked up some distance. Fitters at ECPC worked wonders.

Just the preconceived notion that it wouldn't work for me

I don't fault you at all for this. I mean that sincerely. But as pretty much all of us who were fitted for these drivers by Callaway have been saying, maybe more than any release I can remember you MUST get fit for these. Some of our guys would have automatically defaulted to certain heads, but the fitters put them into something they didn't expect and they're seeing great results.

I know this is location-dependent, but I also worry about the training level of some employees, and maybe even fitters, on these. I worry that some axioms (e.g. this guy has higher spin, we need to go right to the SZ) will dictate the fitting, instead of in-depth knowledge and training specific to this release. The Standard is going to fit a lot of higher spin and higher speed players. Heck, the Max will too. But I think a lot of consumers - and even potentially fitters - are going to lean on old habits and maybe not make the best decisions.

Well said, Chris.

@chefkritter did you go buy one yet?

As of today, not yet. I have had my feelers out on a benefit/risk analysis with Mrs. Chefkritter and the risk is currently outweighing the benefits. :ROFLMAO:

As of today, not yet. I have had my feelers out on a benefit/risk analysis with Mrs. Chefkritter and the risk is currently outweighing the benefits. :ROFLMAO:
Haha, it's no good having a new driver if you won't survive long enough to use it.

I don't fault you at all for this. I mean that sincerely. But as pretty much all of us who were fitted for these drivers by Callaway have been saying, maybe more than any release I can remember you MUST get fit for these. Some of our guys would have automatically defaulted to certain heads, but the fitters put them into something they didn't expect and they're seeing great results.

I know this is location-dependent, but I also worry about the training level of some employees, and maybe even fitters, on these. I worry that some axioms (e.g. this guy has higher spin, we need to go right to the SZ) will dictate the fitting, instead of in-depth knowledge and training specific to this release. The Standard is going to fit a lot of higher spin and higher speed players. Heck, the Max will too. But I think a lot of consumers - and even potentially fitters - are going to lean on old habits and maybe not make the best decisions.
That isn't a fear, its a reality. People will default to what they know and thinking they need the SZ in many cases. But, that is and has been the case with every single club release in history that has different "profile" heads.

Three words bro.... Burner Credit Card..... lol

Still can't get over my spin rates with the standard and the SZ were about the same. *mind blowing animated gif inserted here*

Go standard and embrace the extra forgiveness and ball speed....or wait, hit my Mav Max and maybe you're a Max player.

Going to try to go up later today to give these a hit. Hopefully both the Standard and Max. SZ aint for me.

Oh, that was already done......yesterday.

I guess now I am going to have to ask for strokes....Playing you straight up was fair up until now.

i'm going to hit the standard mav today against my max head. ...for science.

I had some big plans to get on Trackman this week. But, looks like it's not in the cards. I played in our sim league last night though. This thing continues to impress me with the feel of it. I am working through some swing issues related to me holding off my release too long. With my swing thought to improve it, I found that my contact was greatly improved. I lived on the center of the face last night and this thing was feeling soooooo sweet. I don't want to throw out any numbers that it was giving me as I believe they are a bit silly and inaccurate.

Back