Callaway MAVRIK Drivers

Looks like a decent showing on tour. Leading at Farmers, Leishman put it in play a couple of weeks ago. LPGA leader has it in the bag too.

Interesting video on the forgiveness and speed of the Mavrik compared with other drivers on the market.
Only ten days until I head down to Arkansas, and be able to hit this without it being less than 30°

I do love seeing leish with that orange driver in his hands on tv.

I’m just hoping I can actually get on a course sometime soon to use mine!

The purpose for my TrackMan session today was to hit my fairway woods, so I didn't even bring driver. But after crushing some 3W's, I snagged a demo driver for some cuts. With a somewhat tired swing, I hit this one and handed it back to my GG guy. Just such a great result from a 95 mph swing.

GHLChxj0QteZUiEnqWhDTw.jpg

The purpose for my TrackMan session today was to hit my fairway woods, so I didn't even bring driver. But after crushing some 3W's, I snagged a demo driver for some cuts. With a somewhat tired swing, I hit this one and handed it back to my GG guy. Just such a great result from a 95 mph swing.

View attachment 8925029

Doesn’t take much to get this one out there. You’re seeing what I did yesterday on well struck shots.

View attachment 8925029

That's a beauty sir! A proverbial "mic drop" with the club...

That swing from the fairway bunker w 5w from Rory, holy hell boys.

That swing from the fairway bunker w 5w from Rory, holy hell boys.

wrong thread. but yeah, that swing was filthy.

View attachment 8925029

What loft was the driver?

I am hitting the Max at -1/N with the stock 60g 5.5 Riptide shaft. 11/14 fairways today. My misses where just really terrible swings that where tops and pulled left. There rest where all really straight or just a small fade today. When I say small I mean less that 3 yards.
Just a nice sound when making good contact, you can easily tell when you get in on the heal of the club.

soooooo.. Mavrik SZ has been a huge letdown so far. So bad im considering selling it already and cut my losses. Results have been nowhere near what I saw when I hit the demo.
I know its not the forgiving driver in the lineup, but wow im all over the place with this. Makes my m5 look like g400 MAX
I've hit 20 balls with the Mavrik SZ over 2 different days and put it right back in the bag. I ordered this 2 days before finding out I was picked for the Morgan Cup so I think unloading this now is the right way to go knowing I'll soon have a SpeedZone driver coming

soooooo.. Mavrik SZ has been a huge letdown so far. So bad im considering selling it already and cut my losses. Results have been nowhere near what I saw when I hit the demo.
I know its not the forgiving driver in the lineup, but wow im all over the place with this. Makes my m5 look like g400 MAX
I've hit 20 balls with the Mavrik SZ over 2 different days and put it right back in the bag
Gotta say, that’s the first I’ve heard of it being that penal. And as a guy who played the M5 last year, that is one not very forgiving driver.

To be fair, it is essentially built on the triple diamond profile in many ways. There’s also probably a vast comfort level from it to your M5 on familiarity alone. Sucks when something doesn’t work out.

I can’t recall. Did you hit all three models in your fitting?

I know its not the forgiving driver in the lineup, but wow im all over the place with this.

What made you choose the subzero?

Weather looks right, so today SHOULD be a data day. Woot woot!

Gotta say, that’s the first I’ve heard of it being that penal. And as a guy who played the M5 last year, that is one not very forgiving driver.

To be fair, it is essentially built on the triple diamond profile in many ways. There’s also probably a vast comfort level from it to your M5 on familiarity alone. Sucks when something doesn’t work out.

I can’t recall. Did you hit all three models in your fitting?
I think its a weight thing honestly. the Mavrik subzero with the Ventus Black 6x comes out to D3 but it feels so much lighter. I know the head weight is less than the m5 but even my m5 comes out to D3. You're spot on with the comfort level. I've gamed TM drivers the past 15 years and always gravitate towards them. In testing both Mavrik drivers were better than the SIM
I tried the Mavrik 9*, SZ 9*, and SZ 10.5....when I tried the 10.5 it was much more playable than the 9. I thought I found a hidden gem with forgiveness by going up in loft. I should have went with the standard Mavrik 9*

I've hit 20 balls with the Mavrik SZ over 2 different days and put it right back in the bag. I ordered this 2 days before finding out I was picked for the Morgan Cup so I think unloading this now is the right way to go knowing I'll soon have a SpeedZone driver coming

Sounds like the sz wasn’t the right fit for you. As jman asked, were you able to try the other heads?

What made you choose the subzero?
Tried mavrik 9*, SZ 9*, and SZ 10.5*. 10.5 was the last one I tried and it was the best ball speed and extremely close in dispersion to the standard Mavrik

I think its a weight thing honestly. the Mavrik subzero with the Ventus Black 6x comes out to D3 but it feels so much lighter. I know the head weight is less than the m5 but even my m5 comes out to D3. You're spot on with the comfort level. I've gamed TM drivers the past 15 years and always gravitate towards them. In testing both Mavrik drivers were better than the SIM
I tried the Mavrik 9*, SZ 9*, and SZ 10.5....when I tried the 10.5 it was much more playable than the 9. I thought I found a hidden gem with forgiveness by going up in loft. I should have went with the standard Mavrik 9*

The good news for you is if you are switching to a Cobra driver, the guy that ran TM R&D for all of those years you loved their drivers, is at Cobra. And his boss...is at Cobra. :D

The good news for you is if you are switching to a Cobra driver, the guy that ran TM R&D for all of those years you loved their drivers, is at Cobra. And his boss...is at Cobra. :D
Lol thats great news.... Ive hit the SpeedZone the last 3 days while comparing it to the Mavrik and I like it a lot!. SpeedZone so far seems very forgiving and hot across the whole face. F9 wasn't a good fit for me last year, but so far the SpeedZone is very impressive

Comfort and mental confidence is a real, I’m a believer in that and how it can impact things.

That said, yeah, the M5 is a head heavy beast, it’s a little wild in today’s industry to be honest, them and PING remain pretty hefty.

In the fitting why only one loft of standard? Mentally were you just kinda set on leaning SZ?

I really believe less will fit into the SZ than ever this year. I also believe the Max SHOULD be the biggest seller, but, people’s preconceived notions of it will keep that from happening.

but, people’s preconceived notions of it will keep that from happening.

I had no doubt that I'd be in the Max, but it was interesting seeing how many of us ended up in the Max. It's funny how numbers can change your perception of something.

Comfort and mental confidence is a real, I’m a believer in that and how it can impact things.

That said, yeah, the M5 is a head heavy beast, it’s a little wild in today’s industry to be honest, them and PING remain pretty hefty.

In the fitting why only one loft of standard? Mentally were you just kinda set on leaning SZ?

I really believe less will fit into the SZ than ever this year. I also believe the Max SHOULD be the biggest seller, but, people’s preconceived notions of it will keep that from happening.
And I think thats why ive typically gotten along with TM drivers and even the g410 LST I still have. I feel the heads better throughout the swing. I do swing the Mavrik just under 2mph faster, but no control of the head. I do like the look of the setup at address, but currently comfort level isn't there... Its only 20 swings so im sure im overreacting and its January

Honestly I went in to this year with the idea of keeping the m5 and getting one of the new drivers in a more forgiving head. I planned on either the SIM Max or standard Mavrik. When I hit the 10.5 SZ it was simply best of both worlds

The bold is true. I went in the fitting expecting to go with the sz but the standard was a better fit. Callaway said they expect the standard to fit 70% of golfers.

I often wonder if they should have name the standard something different.

Back