Callaway MD5 Jaws Wedges

I continue to be impressed with these wedges. I've been doing some short game practice now that I'm back at home. @MWard was onto something when he posited that my success in California could have been because the grass there is so pristine. Back in Orlando in my grainy conditions, and I'm seeing less success in my practice sessions. That said, I'm still seeing more success than I did with my last setup, so I do think the wedges deserve a fist bump.

Having given the MD4 a whirl earlier this year, I have to say one of my biggest areas of appreciation in the MD5 Jaws release is the dramatically improved feel. I think these MD5 wedges are some of the best feeling I've ever encountered. I would say the feel is pretty close to the PM19, which I also think feels fantastic out of the middle. The MD5 Jaws still offer plenty of feedback to let you know if and where you missed, but without a harsh click.

I continue to be impressed with these wedges. I've been doing some short game practice now that I'm back at home. @MWard was onto something when he posited that my success in California could have been because the grass there is so pristine. Back in Orlando in my grainy conditions, and I'm seeing less success in my practice sessions. That said, I'm still seeing more success than I did with my last setup, so I do think the wedges deserve a fist bump.

Having given the MD4 a whirl earlier this year, I have to say one of my biggest areas of appreciation in the MD5 Jaws release is the dramatically improved feel. I think these MD5 wedges are some of the best feeling I've ever encountered. I would say the feel is pretty close to the PM19, which I also think feels fantastic out of the middle. The MD5 Jaws still offer plenty of feedback to let you know if and where you missed, but without a harsh click.
I didn't have the MD4. I am coming from a combination of MD2 and MD3's. Even with the MD2 being forged, I do prefer the MD5 Jaws to them. I also like the shape as I feel it's more squared off than the MD3 and MD4 were. Straighter leading edge and a more pointed toe.

I didn't have the MD4. I am coming from a combination of MD2 and MD3's. Even with the MD2 being forged, I do prefer the MD5 Jaws to them. I also like the shape as I feel it's more squared off than the MD3 and MD4 were. Straighter leading edge and a more pointed toe.

interesting thoughts on the shape. I did love the shape of the md3. A LOT. but I really struggled with the shape of the md4 because I felt the leading edge was almost too straight. I think the md5 is a great blend between the two: not too rounded, but not too straight. I am thrilled with this wedge!

interesting thoughts on the shape. I did love the shape of the md3. A LOT. but I really struggled with the shape of the md4 because I felt the leading edge was almost too straight. I think the md5 is a great blend between the two: not too rounded, but not too straight. I am thrilled with this wedge!
I skipped the MD4. From what I remember of them, I thought they were very similar to MD3. I guess it's not as straight as the MD Forged were, which I think were too straight for me.

I had quite a few shots with the Jaws wedges while in Cali, especially the 50*. Paired with the Recoil 95 shaft it feels really good. Even on the first day on the wet greens the ball was having very minimal roll out. On the second day on dry greens you could really see the performance of the fresh grooves and watch balls stop dead or spin back. The first couple I left short just because I didn't account for the ball to stop as quickly. One shot in particular on day 2 was from about 65 yards, the ball was going straight at the pin and after it hopped it spun back about 4 feet. I was hoping it would stop dead, but I still managed to make the putt.

Our turf is pretty sucky. It’s the difference between playing great courses and not so great courses, you can tell immediately by the conditions around the greens where the rough is likely the worst.

Maybe you needed more bounce too just for kicks and giggles. Next time we golf, I’ll commandeer your wedge for a few and see what happens haha.

Our turf is pretty sucky. It’s the difference between playing great courses and not so great courses, you can tell immediately by the conditions around the greens where the rough is likely the worst.

Maybe you needed more bounce too just for kicks and giggles. Next time we golf, I’ll commandeer your wedge for a few and see what happens haha.

I don't know, that's like swinging with your wife. I mean, right now all the wedge knows is my technique. Put in the hands of a capable person, and the wedge may serve me divorce papers pretty quickly.

I don't know, that's like swinging with your wife. I mean, right now all the wedge knows is my technique. Put in the hands of a capable person, and the wedge may serve me divorce papers pretty quickly.

I... uhh... what? :oops::unsure:

Sometimes a different shaft profile and a new grip makes all the difference in feel. :cool:

Last edited:

Ive seen wardy’s wedge “technique” in person.....I wouldn’t worry too much. ?

Hey @tomcat, how you liking that 58/8W?? I completely forgot about that grind at our fitting. Kicking myself for not trying it.

Hey @tomcat, how you liking that 58/8W?? I completely forgot about that grind at our fitting. Kicking myself for not trying it.
I was really hoping for a 8w grind. I was able to get two wedges in the end of my fitting to figure out the grind. The w was drop kicking a bit but the X grind was perfect for me.

Honestly, I've hit it very little. The few times I have, it was really nice. I plan to get to the range, this week hopefully, and was going to mess around with it some.

Honestly, I've hit it very little. The few times I have, it was really nice. I plan to get to the range, this week hopefully, and was going to mess around with it some.

Was the 8W your idea or the fitter's? It sounds like it could be a really good bounce for shallower swingers in wet conditions.

I had actually gone in guessing that I would likely be an S grind, but Nick said that the low W would likely help me in the 58*. I'm looking forward to seeing how it really feels in some various situations.

these wedges were stupid good for me today. between full swings that spun like a top into greens, to a dead hand 60y 1/2 swing that i almost jarred, to a ton of greenside shots that i got up and down. only struggle was bunkers, but that was all me. other than that, these wedges made me look like a stick today! i am thrilled with my setup of 48s 56x and 60x.

My 56* Jaws came in a couple days ago and man it looks good. I'm almost tempted to not use it on the simulator over winter to keep the grooves fresh but I doubt I can hold off. I had a few struggles with the MD4 so I'm excited to compare this to it.

My 56* Jaws came in a couple days ago and man it looks good. I'm almost tempted to not use it on the simulator over winter to keep the grooves fresh but I doubt I can hold off. I had a few struggles with the MD4 so I'm excited to compare this to it.
Just go ahead and order another one now that way in 5 months when you can play again you'll have those fresh grooves. :ROFLMAO:

All I know, is that with the results I saw with my 60 X that week, every time it comes out of the bag. #RFC

1576633911713.gif

Had the same feeling. But couldn't wait. Had to hit at a simulator. First time I have ever seen 12,000 rpm on one of my shots.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

i like these wedges

3B1C1750-80B5-405F-9A00-017C2C5F8673.jpeg

I hope you cleaned it after that shot!

Different grinds is not something I have really looked at, I have always just gone with the mid-bounce option in the Cleveland wedges, but maybe next time I will mix it up a bit and see what options there are

What struggles did you have with you MD4’s? I was looking to purchase them due to the lower cost since the 5’s came out.

Newman

What struggles did you have with you MD4’s? I was looking to purchase them due to the lower cost since the 5’s came out.

Newman
For some reason the weight or balance didn't quite work for me. With that said I'm very picky when it comes to wedges so it's not a knock on the product at all, it's more of a me thing. I know a lot of people that love the wedge and have had great results.

Back