Callaway MD5 Jaws Wedges

basically

take the trailing edge relief off the S and you get the W

(or rather grind away the trailing edge of the W to get the S)

Yes....but now impact on performance you would say is.....

Has anyone put these in the bag yet? What are the thoughts on the spin? I love them sitting at address. I am strongly considering getting a 56* (yes believe it or not!) (y)

I was able to get to the range and put my MD5/Jaws through the paces. As a reminder, I've got 58/S with Catalyst 80g.

Greenside chipping - no discernible difference here relative to my prior gamers but I don't do anything fancy like low hop and stops around the greens. Standard chips and pitches ...were kinda standard.

Bunkers - the club performed differently for me from my 58* PM grind. I saw best results with the Jaws with a much more squared stance than usual (just barely open). This was true out of wet/firm sand and fluffed sand. I barely opened the face (like 1/8 of a turn) and swung along a traditional line to the ball and it just popped up nicelly and easily. If I accentuated the open stance and swung along the line created by my feet I had to guard against the club sliding under the ball (the PM grind likes to dig a tunnel with this shot for me).

Full swings - compared to my 54* MD4 with Recoil, the MD5/Jaws seemed noticeably softer off the face. I liked it a lot.

Wear. Yes, after one session I could see that the club face was used, and there were very minor scratches on the sole. In a big surprise for me I actually liked seeing some very minor wear (have you seen how much **** I get here for iron covers? I like to keep my stuff pristine).

All in all, I like the club and am excited for my 54* to get here.

A quick note, I noticed I'm roughly 5 yards longer with the 58 Jaws versus the 58 MD4. Not sure if it's the better grind for my swing or what. Also the feel off the face on full or 3/4 swings is light years better than the md4. First couple fuller swings I thought for a moment I missed the ball, then realized it just felt smooth.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Didn't get to regroup it yet, but going to game it today regardless. Looking forward to this.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

:callaway: MD3 46.8 S grind w/ TT DG S200, UTX cord, 466g
Tommy Armour VCG 50.10 w/ TT DG S200 TI, Gripmaster Leather, 461g
:callaway: MD3 50.10 S grind w/ TT DG Spinner, PURE DTX, 466g
:callaway: MD5 JAWS 52.12 W grind w/ TT DG 115 S200 TI, UTX non-cord, 457g
:nike: Engage 52.11 Square w/ Nippon NSPro Modus3 115, Champ C8, 461g

AnkPfBY.jpg

Last edited:
Games it today. Super happy with the extra bounce I picked. Went right into the rotation and was producing shots. It's replacing my 56, which is my go to wedge.

Really thinking 52w and 58w (low bounce) as my wedges for 2020.

Curious if anyone has replaced a wedge that was perfectly fine. Not worn out yet.

I have the PW from my Mizuno Forged set but would like a 46 degree blade like the Jaws. Can't bring myself to replace it since it only has one season of use on it.

Curious if anyone has replaced a wedge that was perfectly fine. Not worn out yet.

I have the PW from my Mizuno Forged set but would like a 46 degree blade like the Jaws. Can't bring myself to replace it since it only has one season of use on it.
As posted above, my 56rtx3 is my money wedge. One round with Jaws and the Jaws is replacing it.

As posted above, my 56rtx3 is my money wedge. One round with Jaws and the Jaws is replacing it.

Yes. My 54 and 58 are hardly used and barely have any wear on them.

Anyone have any feedback on the tour Grey so far. Curious if any issues with the finish holding up yet. I always go traditional finish but the tour Grey looks excellent.

I have the grey and love it. To early to comment how it holds up but so far so good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally got to use my 50S MD5 today. This is definitely one of the best looking wedges I’ve ever seen. I got the Chrome version and absolutely love it. Feel is amazing. Look forward to using it again tomorrow. There could be another one joining it very soon.

I got to get a demo in hand yesterday. Historically I’m no fan of Callaway wedges but the jaws set up better to my eye than previous offerings. I really wish I could have gotten on a LM.

Another successful 18 yesterday with the 58. Shot of the day was a 50 yard shot to a green that slopes away and had to carry a bunker. Of course it's the 18th so everyone is standing around watching.

Ball popped right up, landed ran towards the cup and lipped out, for eagle, tap in birdie to finish the round.

Really pondering a 54 and 48 but want to hit them first as I really depend on those for scoring and want to make sure I get the bounce right.

Also maybe my grip on the md4 was getting old, original stock Callaway grip with no real signs of wear, but the new stock callaway grip feels softer and has more tack to it which I like

full range session wit the 54 today. Loving it.

Have to order me a 58

first hits today with the 52W

feel is good, spin looks appropriate, distance was mostly as expected

I'm not a big fan of the UTX non-cord grip (although I do prefer it to the corded version)

I'm going to bend it to 50.10, probably replace the shaft with something in the 125 range (this DG 115 feels a little loose to me), change the grip

52W and 58W (low bounce) with kbs hi rev 2.0 on order today!

Both in slate. I'm excited.

54 with a W grind.

Haven't ordered the 58 yet, but it will be a more aggressive grind than W

Hopefully that Budget discount comes in handy on that order.

I’ve watch/listened to almost every piece of content that Callaway and RFC have put out there. And I still am not sure but I think it’s gonna be down to W wide and X grinds

Can anyone compare these with the SM7's?

I'd normally be a C grind person in the 58 degree wedge since that's the only one I like to open up around the greens, but the low bounce W really intrigues me. Watched a video yesterday of a guy hitting all of the different wedges with Roger Cleveland at the ECPC and the low bounce W was a pleasant surprise for him, especially out of the bunker.

Back