Callaway Releases Big Bertha B21 Driver

I‘m eager to get to the range and hit this driver. One of my initial thoughts was the feel. It has such a solid feel...like it’s just going to “sledgehammer“ the ball! My current gamer has a soft, trampoline feel and this is a complete opposite. Also, I am a cost-conscious consumer. I research things before I purchase them, and try to find the best product for the money. A $500 driver, to me, is expensive. I’ve shied away from these top tier offerings because of this, in the past. But, it looks, feels, sounds, and performs like a $500 driver!

I‘m eager to get to the range and hit this driver. One of my initial thoughts was the feel. It has such a solid feel...like it’s just going to “sledgehammer“ the ball! My current gamer has a soft, trampoline feel and this is a complete opposite. Also, I am a cost-conscious consumer. I research things before I purchase them, and try to find the best product for the money. A $500 driver, to me, is expensive. I’ve shied away from these top tier offerings because of this, in the past. But, it looks, feels, sounds, and performs like a $500 driver!

the blue crown is 👨‍🍳 💋, I don’t even see triangular shape at address , the red line focuses your eye really effectively. Gorgeous driver

I was going to go all in on the B21, but I have made an adjustment to my set up and now I am not struggling with the slice near as much. Now I am not sure what if I want to pull the trigger on this or not. :unsure:

Playing in a scramble (🤬) tomorrow, but I fully expect to use a fair amount of my drives with this thing.
Do I leave the RCH in or plug in the ventus blue?
Start with the one that makes you feel more comfortable and then throw the other shaft in the bag. I doubt they are going to be strictly enforcing the rules such that you couldn't switch shafts mid-round.

I was going to go all in on the B21, but I have made an adjustment to my set up and now I am not struggling with the slice near as much. Now I am not sure what if I want to pull the trigger on this or not. :unsure:
I don't think this is going to be bad for you based on that. Think of this as a slice reduction tool, not a draw creator. It is a very forgiving, high launching, great feeling club that I think anyone could use and be very pleased with.

Playing in a scramble (🤬) tomorrow, but I fully expect to use a fair amount of my drives with this thing.
leave in the RCH and hear some thoughts since it was the stock shaft.

Another range session last night.
looking at 2 comparisons vs the ping max
both 9*
ping is an alta stiff 55 and b21 is an RCH stiff 55

the callaway is 14g lighter in head weight, is 14g a lot? yes
the callaway is light and i like it, its very easy to get this club around.
what id like to do is get it on some sort of monitor and see some numbers.

There was no one on the range last night and it was picked clean so i was able to hit a handful of balls and walk off the yardage on them. I can eyeball the yardage markers on the range and i can see my carry distance is farther and final distance is longer with the b21. It fits me pretty good, I think with the overall weight of the club its easier for me to swing and generate more club head speed which in return im getting better distance. Again, ive said this a lot, i love the set up and the triangular head.
enjoying the heck out of this opportunity!

Fun fact. I pulled the RCH 65, put in my beloved Riptide 6.5, and couldn’t get the spin below 3500. Back to RCH, back to 2400-2700. I’m starting to see the merits of the shaft quite literally designed FOR this driver, even though it is a bit weak for me.

So, I didn’t get out yesterday due to rain Almost all day. But, before golf practice I played two holes just for grins.

I promise there are detailed thoughts coming, but I want to say this very clearly and put it out there first and foremost...

This is a segment changer. There is nothing out there, nor has there ever been anything out there, like the B21. It’s legitimately a low spin forgiving head. I’m the one that wrote the article linked in this threads first post, and I admittedly scoffed a bit at the notion. Some are wanting to compare the spin to the Sub Zero and they never claimed it was that low, but they did compare it to the Mavrik and Max and there was no embellishments there as far as I have seen so far.

Also, I would urge people to not just bail on the RCH right away. Because even as a 110 mph range swinger, I’ve got no knocks on the 65S and that hurts my head a bit. :ROFLMAO:

When I was reading the EXS Pro thread I liked the low spin numbers. You said that it was also a demanding driver and not real forgiving, thus made me wish I was a little better with the big stick and keeping me from even trying it. I read that thread dreaming about a driver just like this B21 and here it is. I REALLY look forward to your testing and love the numbers you post. While our games and skill levels are very different, I have learned how to decipher the data you provide and how it will affect me both positive and negative.

I am a cost-conscious consumer. I research things before I purchase them, and try to find the best product for the money. A $500 driver, to me, is expensive. I’ve shied away from these top tier offerings because of this, in the past. But, it looks, feels, sounds, and performs like a $500 driver!

This is the biggest reason I haven't blind ordered one yet. I'd like to hit it first then sell off what I need to make the investment and not dip into the kid's Christmas fund. But hearing this is making it harder not to wait for Dick's to get a demo, and just figure it out.

Fun fact. I pulled the RCH 65, put in my beloved Riptide 6.5, and couldn’t get the spin below 3500. Back to RCH, back to 2400-2700. I’m starting to see the merits of the shaft quite literally designed FOR this driver, even though it is a bit weak for me.

I'll admit out front that I'm clueless about shafts, but that difference in spin with the stock shaft is very interesting. I'm very intrigued by the spin numbers as I know a lower spinning driver would benefit me a great deal.

Was there any major differences in launch angle between the two shafts?

That is very interesting.

That is pretty darn interesting right there... I may have one of these on the way with a RCH 65 to test against my Mav Std. 😁

dang. It feels a little loose at the tip, but that’s wild. May play with the ventus on the range to see how flight looks.

It appears the stock RCH shaft from Callaway plays at 45.75”. Is that the length of the RCH shaft you are trying. Is your Riptide shorter. Curious as to the shaft comparison and the performance with each . Really enjoying this thread and everyones posts and experiences.

I put my Ventus Blue stiff in my B21 head and it seems to be a great pairing.

Looks like a nice club although am surprised that Callaway came out with another driver so close to the Mavrik's release back in the arlier part of the year. I bought the Epic Flash at the end of last year thinking the new clubs wouldn't hit the market until April. Guess I was wrong twice.

I have few callaway tipped shafts. I tried my Speeder Evo 661 iv, HZRDUS Smoke black 6.0, Atmos ts blue 6s and Kuro Kage tini black 6s. The closest in feel was the KK tini black, because it was a softer tip but was too loose. All the shafts, which have worked for me in past callaway drivers, did not produce or feel as nice as the RCH. This confuses me because I have always liked a bit stiffer tip. I really wanted the Speeder to work because I loved that shaft in my Rogue sz. There is something magical about the RCH with the B21.

Do you guys think that the only way to truly benefit from this new B21 driver is to have the OEM shaft paired with it? I continuously read that it is a VERY draw biased driver but then several of the reviewers here (including me) are finding the driver to have a fade bias, straight really but more tendency to a baby fade. I ordered the head only so I don't have the luxury of trying the RCH shaft but I was expecting to see draws all day long with this driver. But no, straight or tiny baby fade. Aim, point and shoot. No pulls, no hooks, etc.
To me the only benefit to me coming from the Mav Max is the straighter shot pattern and distance (guessing due to lower spin). I think it is just as forgiving and with a higher trajectory. As long as it keeps me from the occasional high push with not a lot of distance shot, it will be a winner in my book.

The shots that I have gotten away with this are borderline criminal.

WORST shots with the B21 are spin wise topping out at highest 3400 with the stock setup. And I’m talking TRASH swings for me. More than that, the launch and retained distance are just funny. Misses still happen, anyone who TRULY thought this was going to eliminate a slice like dumb ole Shiels and his silly video are crazy. The name of the game is mitigating spin on misses, and this DOES spin less on misses, which means most will get away with a lot more directionally.

NO driver will fix a swing. But it can make a swing more playable. The fact that this is a low forward CG and remains forgiving as sin is a game changer for a whole lot of people. I’ve been pretty critical of Callaway at times, but this one I’ve got no knocks. There is not, nor has there ever been a design like this, and you can print that.

WORST shots with the B21 are spin wise topping out at highest 3400 with the stock setup. And I’m talking TRASH swings for me. More than that, the launch and retained distance are just funny. Misses still happen, anyone who TRULY thought this was going to eliminate a slice like dumb ole Shiels and his silly video are crazy. The name of the game is mitigating spin on misses, and this DOES spin less on misses, which means most will get away with a lot more directionally.

NO driver will fix a swing. But it can make a swing more playable. The fact that this is a low forward CG and remains forgiving as sin is a game changer for a whole lot of people. I’ve been pretty critical of Callaway at times, but this one I’ve got no knocks. There is not, nor has there ever been a design like this, and you can print that.

Spin less on misses. Yes. I’m all for that. I may have to give this a try.

Shiels is no longer in the golf review business. He is in the entertainment business. His channel is so huge now that his only choice to capture views that represented the subscription is to produce click bait. That is the truth, although I have to hand it to anyone who can build that kind of following.

Getting back on topic, anyone who has looked at the way this head is designed with respect to the internal weighting has to acknowledge that this head will be draw biased and would therefore mitigate a high right miss or slice. Adding in the other technology that seems pretty innovative to me, it should be very appealing to a lot of players. Plus, the head sets up very nicely, something that we don’t always see in this type of profile.

Thanks for pointing these things out, @Jman.

About this time yesterday I posted that I would play the stock RCH shaft in the B 21 today in our league play. I couldn't resist trying the Recoil F2 one more time at the range this morning. The launch was too low and I was pushing almost everything left. So the RCH is matched to the driver and that combo does work as is for me. I did put the RCH back before I started to play.

At a 21 HC I was the "C" player on the card but felt I was due for a better day today than I had Monday. I did play 10 strokes better today but still gave up too many shots with my short game along with a few hazards along the way.

I used the B 21 on 6 holes on the front nine. #2 Long 10 yard fade, #3 I came across the ball and went L into the hazard, I teed a second ball and hit dead straight down the middle. #4 short par 4 baby fade that left me a short wedge shot to the green. #5 par 5 - A little stronger fade but about 10 - 15 yards farther than I normally drive on this hole.#6 par 3. #7 a slight DL right. Because I hit a stronger fade on 5 I lined up a little left and hit the "dreaded straight ball" and I do mean dead straight and far. My second shot was from the next fairway. #8 again was a slight fade, I think these fades are due to me being a little tired this morning and I wasn't turning my hands over soon enough.

The back nine was very similar to the front, slight fades. Then I got to #17, the #1 HC hole on our layout. It is relatively straight with a slight 15-20 degree bend left. Straight puts you into some trees on the right side of the fairway and a slice lands you on a very steep slope. I consciously tried to hit a draw and to my surprise I pulled it off. Between the extra carry and a generous roll, It was the best drive I ever hit on this hole in at least two years. I hit my seven wood on the second shot and the length was correct but my "towards" was a bit off and I landed pin high but right of the green with a bunker between me & the hole. I hit a half swing 54* wedge that ran right to the hole and stopped 3 inches short.
#18 is a par 4 DL right. A long drive with a medium fade puts you in excellent 2nd shot position, and again I pulled it off and parred the last hole too.

So far I have hit the B 21 two times in practice sessions and twice on the course with the results the same with the exception of Tuesdays practice when I installed my old UST Recoil shaft in the B 21. Launch was lower and I had a tendency to pull shots left with the occasional duck hook. It is pretty apparent the RCH shaft that came with the club is the correct combo for me. This is the second round that most of my drives were the longest of the foursome and that is so not me in the past. Many were 300 yards but they were 150 out and 150 right. Now that I am comfortable hitting the B 21 I'm going to see if the manager at the local Dick's will let me have some time in the booth so I can actually get some numbers to share.

Thanks again to all those involved in getting this club in my hands. I am truly enjoying it and also enjoy sharing my trials. I hope you are able to glean something beneficial from my ramblings. I can honestly say I have been hitting some of the best drives of the year for me.

I am finding it interesting that so many are concluding that the stock RCH shaft works best with this driver. I would say, “Kudos” to Callaway.

Forgive my ignorance James but, as a spin killer would you say it helps drop side spin as well as straight line spin?

Back