Callaway Rogue ST MAX Fairways

This is one place I can't participate until I have my clubs in hand. Reason being, being a lefty is hard :LOL:

There were no lefty stock at the time of fitting so we just went with Max fairways in 3 & 5 after I described my game and shot tendencies with my current 3 and 5 wood. I CAN NOT wait to get these in hand though. I saw some teammates hit them and rocket launcher doesn't totally describe these things from what I saw and heard. My goodness.
Do we need to have a moment of silence for your trusty old 5 wood? I think it’s going to get kicked out of the bag in a hurry!

Also the elephant. Bonded hosels. The difficulty of testing these clubs with the proper shaft or any other shaft other than stock. It's being addressed I can promise you that. It was brought up during our Q&A to the tune of close to a 20 minute discussion and they know how important it is. Covid is a b*tch and messes up a lot of stuff. The tech was almost available for this release but they just couldn't quite make it happen. So if it stops you from being able to test this cycle, just know your struggles aren't falling on deaf ears.
Can confirm. This was discussed at length and with passion. Callaway has heard the pleas and they are working on it!

I would be really interested to try these. I have never been great with a wood or hybrid but Callaway has turned that around with the UW. Having just redone 11/13 clubs in my bag not surprised I almost have exclusively Callaway now.

Do we need to have a moment of silence for your trusty old 5 wood? I think it’s going to get kicked out of the bag in a hurry!
That's one club I'll never get rid of. But it's going to have a boring year in the spare bag once I get these in hand :LOL:

I loved the original Rogue fairway wood and it was probably the last fairway I got along really well with. It sounds like this is a huge winner for Callaway, I just wish it wasn't a bonded club. I know there is a lot of excitement from the Grandaddy guys for this lineup and I have to keep telling myself that I love my Super Hybrid to keep from being tempted by these.

I was fit for the 3 and 5 Max D fairway wood. Between the fairway woods and the Epic Super Hybrid - the easiest thing to fit me for. I'm pretty sure I took one or two swings with the 5 wood and no words were spoken. Just looked at him and said "Yep". Looks great, just like the drivers and they are long. I'm going to have a lot of fun with them this year.

I played the Mizuno ST-Z last year, come to think of it the last 3 years the fairway spot in my bag has mostly belonged to Mizuno and I'll have no problem selling those now.

Even though I don't have them right now, I just want to point out what was written by Jman in the article for us lefties. The amount of product that is being offered for the dexterity challenged of us, it's pretty freaking awesome and was something that was really cool to hear during the presentation. Especially being the only lefty of the group!

This is a club I can't wait to purchase. Actually two of them the 3w (or 3wHL) and the 5w. Both LS Why? because the sound at impact sounds like angels are crushing cans in heaven! No in all seriousness, the sound at impact was fantastic. Loved hearing it on the range at ECPC. In addition, these heads have more of a shape that I love and there was a huge focus on forgiveness via weight placement and they utilized the tech tune the "tune" of nuclear fairway finders. There was even some talk about how much longer they were than everything else that was coming in from 3rd party sites. Obviously long is GOOD if you can keep it on the planet and IMO, that's what they did. Obviously, fitting matters and mileage may vary, but by and large, our team was smoking these.

Anyone have a direct comparison at their fitting for this vs the Apex UW? @Jman ?

Anyone have a direct comparison at their fitting for this vs the Apex UW? @Jman ?
I’ve not hit these year brother, just did the release piece.

But dammit, that LS 3+ has my attention! :LOL:

I’ve not hit these year brother, just did the release piece.

But dammit, that LS 3+ has my attention! :LOL:
I’m thinking hard about it. Waiting on Cobra or maybe another company comes along. So many options. This place has ruined me 😀

I won't be much help here until I get the ST Max 3W/5W in hand. I hit them at ECPC but not very good. The 5w wasn't much better. However, I usually play a 3W/3H combo but we decided on a 3W/5W combo.

I ended up hitting the fairways and the UWs and was fit for one of each. There is some over lap from the distance perspective with the upper UWs ( 17 and 19 deg ) just like there is some overlap with the 19 and 21 deg and the hybrids. The biggest decision is not distance, but which do you prefer and what shots do you need to hit.

For example, currently I hit a speed 4 wood as my alternative tee club/long fairway club. I carry it 245. My next club is a Apex pro 3 hybrid. I don't really like hybrids but I needed a club I could fly 225 off the fairway and could get me out of jams in the rough.

At the ECPC, I told Jason ( my fitter ) what distance I needed and that I didn't like the look of hybrids so we started with UWs. The 19 deg did the trick. 230-235 carry and great out of the rough and fairway. After that I had a choice.

Do I get a 17 deg to match or go fairway? For me, I loved the look of the fairway and needed something as a second tee club more than a 250 out if the rough club. The 3 wood fit the bill. Super easy to elevate off the deck as well. This way I go 15 deg vs the 17 of the UW and I get the right gapping.

In my opinion, the fairways give you more forgiveness and use off fairways and tees. The UW gives you more flexibility for a wider arrangement of shot needs and workability. Even if they go the same difference.

The top of my bag was a complete mind blowing experience. I was wrong on all 3 spots. I had always paired my driver with a similar style fairway wood. Something exactly like the Mavrik SubZero driver and FW. Over the last few years my swing has changed from right to left to a left to right ball flight. 25 years of being a hooker of the golf ball was great to get away from.

Gerritt gave me the Rogue ST Max to start with and it was very good but I was losing some to the right. He then handed me the Rogue ST Max D 16*. I was able to move it right to left when I tried and hit it really straight the other times.

I am excited to have a club that I can shape around a dog leg left off the tee.

My kryptonite, fairway woods. Like how some people are suckers for putters, fairway woods will always make me a little weak in the knees. I don’t fully buy the concept of them being too long. Please… Who doesn’t want to look at a 550yd par 5 and think they can get there in two shots with a good drive!

My kryptonite, fairway woods. Like how some people are suckers for putters, fairway woods will always make me a little weak in the knees. I don’t fully buy the concept of them being too long. Please… Who doesn’t want to look at a 550yd par 5 and think they can get there in two shots with a good drive!
ALWAYS IN RANGE. Let ‘er rip!

ALWAYS IN RANGE. Let ‘er rip!

Depends more on the lie and what’s in front of the green. I hattteee fairway woods above my feet. Doesn’t happen. My course, they’re always above my feet around the 250 mark. Ha ha ha enjoy the woods right, left, and OB on the left side too! It’s a sad face forced layup almost every time.

Depends more on the lie and what’s in front of the green. I hattteee fairway woods above my feet. Doesn’t happen. My course, they’re always above my feet around the 250 mark. Ha ha ha enjoy the woods right, left, and OB on the left side too! It’s a sad face forced layup almost every time.
Oh I am familiar with these “fun” par 5’s and the poor decision-making that so often occurs :LOL: but at least with these rocket launchers in the bag I have the potential to give it a low probability whack!
0165DBDD-5B62-4537-9293-896B542EA65D.jpeg1D31CC74-6F36-493F-AE92-36E215EE9604.jpeg

I can only give some initial observations as the time in the fitting was limited and I only had a handful of swings with these. The Rogue ST Max fairways looked good but sat a little closed to my eye and after a couple swings we moved to the Rogue ST LS. The LS was very neutral for me and I was hitting some nice long baby draws and even had a couple which I was able to hold off and fade. I went with the Rogue ST LS 5 wood head with a ventus blue 7s shaft. I went with the Rogue ST LS 3+ wood head (stronger lofted 3 wood) with a ventus red 7s shaft. That pairing really interests me as it gives a little more launch and spin and appears to be a great option when the driver isn't behaving. The one thing I noticed in the numbers is that these were launching easy and going farther than what I am seeing in my current fairways. I cannot wait to have these in hand and get some real numbers from Arccos to confirm!

Last edited:
Oh I am familiar with these “fun” par 5’s and the poor decision-making that so often occurs :LOL: but at least with these rocket launchers in the bag I have the potential to give it a low probability whack!
View attachment 9057406View attachment 9057408

Your view looks better than mine at the moment, but this will work for the time being. Red X’s are all trees, left side is OB on top of it. Ask me how many times I’ve stupidly gone for this with the ball above my feet…

0B856787-A2A9-4DDD-A979-AFCC2F7F3D4A.jpeg

Your view looks better than mine at the moment, but this will work for the time being. Red X’s are all trees, left side is OB on top of it. Ask me how many times I’ve stupidly gone for this with the ball above my feet…

View attachment 9057425
You should definitely grab a Rogue ST LS fairway with its more neutral flight bias so you can continue this solid decision-making with confidence!

This ain't basketball so don't layup. You grip it and you rip it, Ricky Bobby!

As much as I loved the new driver, I so cannot wait to get the LS in with Ventus blue. This fw is going to be a weapon on par 5s this year for these guys!!

As much as I loved the new driver, I so cannot wait to get the LS in with Ventus blue. This fw is going to be a weapon on par 5s this year for these guys!!

Same. I really can't wait to get the LS 3 wood in my hands to hit. I have stated my Epic Speed 4-wood is one if if not my most favorite club in my bag. The fact that the Rogue ST LS is better is mind boggling. But it is.

When my 3-wood and UW come in, I might spend an hour on the range just hitting those. Sooooooo good.

"low spin rocket launching tee club" has my attention straight off the bat :LOL:

Back