Callaway Rogue ST MAX Fairways

i think @Jman confirmed real deal shafts in the driver lineup. how about for fairways?
I guess it depends what you consider real. In previous Tensei AV releases there were significant material differences between the R,S,X flexes and the TX flex. The MCA website currently does not list a TX option for the new AV shaft, but from the description on the website, it sounds like a Tensei 1K with cheaper materials.
It's exactly the same thing with the Kai'li White that comes stock in the new TaylorMade or the Aldila Rogue White 130 that went into the Mavrik.

So is this new Tensei shaft real? I guess so. But it is most likely made with the intent to be used as a stock shaft in the 2022 drivers. I doubt you'll see many on tour (unless there is a tx version that is not listed on the website and you are most likely not getting the same quality as a Tensei 1K which will remain the aftermarket option for the Tensei line.

To me this new trend of masquerading stock shafts as expensive aftermarket options is very frustrating.

Last edited:
Anyone have a direct comparison at their fitting for this vs the Apex UW?

I, being the maniac I am, couldn't wait until the GD to get a UW. So I have had a 21deg since around when they came out.

The UW for me fills a spot where I need control and stopping power for a long approach shot. Long being 205-210.

The UW fits what was a gaping hole at the top end of my bag, previously filled by a rouge 7w, that I loved! but didn't have quite the control I needed. And would occasionally rip it and blast over greens.

The UW is a consistent 208 club, almost every time, a middle of the middle will go 210, but fly a little higher. It is a magical club.

The UW flies nice and high, and hits exactly the spin window, and land angle I was looking for. And for some crazy reason, it does this in an off the rack configuration o_O

Fairway woods..... I have been, for a few seasons, looking for something reliable that will fill the very long approach gap of 220-225, which if I'm being honest, I never thought I had the horsepower to do. But then I remember I actually do, I just have never found anything (even thru fitting) that had the control, or flight window I wanted. I'm not trying to hit bullets into greens.

I lay up on every per 5, no ********, I never go for a par 5 in 2, because I just can't.

FF to the GD, I let my fitter know all of the above, because second only to the irons, the top of my bag was the most important for me to get a good fit.

He puts a stock UW in my hand, and I hit a bunch of shots. He asks me what I normally do with it, and how I normally hit it. I nut a few, and say 70% of the time it's that. I thin a couple, and toe a couple, and say the rest are those.

he ponders for a moment, and hands me a Max 5w. I proceed to take it to pound town. No lie, I am shocked how easy it is to hit. Turf interaction is awesome, it sets up behind the ball beautifully, it flies majestically and lands like a sack of potatoes 218 yards away on a cold, rainy San Diego day, with a wet ball...

I proceed to hit a handful more, some nutted, some missed toe side. All fly straight, and punishment is minimal. I'm sold, he's sold, we lock it up.

If I had to pick the one club that really had my attention, these woods are it. I don't care how one feels about bonded hosels, these are the dark horse. They are really good.

Short answer to your question:

These clubs perform differently, and fill the spots I needed in different ways. Both extremely well for my game.

Last edited:
252 fly is strong for a 3w. Dumb Trackman, I want to see max height not launch direction!

Yeah. If I had my druthers, I would want to see peak height and descent angle in addition to launch, spin, ball speed, and distance.

I mean….3+ LS……that entices me.

the 3hl ls is stuck in my brain. no i don't want low spin, but for a tee option i like the idea of a flatter trajectory. and the shape in the pictures looks so damn good. i need to find a way to hit this!

I mean….3+ LS……that entices me.
That paired with a ventus red is what I have coming and cannot wait!!!

That paired with a ventus red is what I have coming and cannot wait!!!
Lost me at Ventus, but that’s just my Fuji issues :LOL:

You’re gonna MURDER that though!

For some reason I had trouble timing up the Tensei shafts but the fuji shafts worked

I've got a ventus blue 7s coming in mine as well. But I also have a Epic Speed 4wood with a LINQ Blue M40X F5 sitting here that could easily be swapped for some fun testing. :)

I think these look better than the drivers actually. That LS has my name written all over it. BUT $349 for a fwy....jeez

I think these look better than the drivers actually. That LS has my name written all over it. BUT $349 for a fwy....jeez
I think what you meant was wow and it’s $50 cheaper than the Epic Super Hybrid!

I will say that I'm not always the best with fairway woods off the deck but these were easy to hit and wanted to get up and go. You should definitely try one out Jeremy!!

100% agree. i have to reserve final judgment until i see them in person, but there's something about the head shape of the drivers that isn't clicking for me. but this rogue max ls fairway looks absolutely perfect.

it's getting easier and easier to leave fairway woods out of the bag, :LOL:

for a club I hit maybe once or twice a round, the value just isnt there.

100% agree. i have to reserve final judgment until i see them in person, but there's something about the head shape of the drivers that isn't clicking for me. but this rogue max ls fairway looks absolutely perfect.
It was fantastic!!! And much less prone to hooks than I was used to with the Mavrik 3 wood (based on my small sample size from ECPC).

Back