Callaway Rogue ST MAX Hybrids and Irons

These are very nice-looking irons. The offset on the ST/ST Max seems massive in photos to me but the transition is pretty clean. Love the black badging and the mixture of brushed/polished.

I have NO need for new irons but sweet lord I want to hit those pros...

Had a run with the ST Pro today. Gorgeous look. Really pulled off the "I'm a blade with help" look. Not as nice to my eye as the 225s from Mizuno but that is purely preference.
One word description: VIOLENCE. The sound at impact isn't like anything I've heard before. Not sure if it is a good thing, but it really did preform. Easy to fade and draw, easy to hit high and fairly easy to keep low. I wouldn't game it personally but I can see how this will be really popular. It is a "clangy" Apex to me. That is meant as a compliment.

Had a great fitting with the rouge st pro today. I had ZERO Intention of picking up new irons this season. I like everyone else will try out clubs guys get to see how they feel and perform. I have never grabbed a club and had the first 4 swings be just absolutely so good. I was really impressed with those 4 swings that day. Since I had a driver fitting already set up I called and asked to add the irons.

The fitting today confirmed that the Rouge St Pro is really really good for me. I gained 8 mph of ball speed and a full 10 yards of carry! The shaft that was in the demo club was a Tensei blue 75 gram stiff. The fitter had me try the Tensiei white and the KBS TGI and the Aerotech steel fibers. Nothing at all performed as well as the Tensiei blue. Even on a mishit I was getting great flight and distance. I have never had a club in hand that was so easy to hit.

My favorite thing is how buttery smooth they feel compared to my current irons. I am sure the graphite shaft helps that coming from a steel. Having been able to play the 7 iron demo on the course and hitting it just beautifully made this decision easy. 5-GW with the Tensiei blue 75 S is on order. Now the waiting begins. And I have to thank @Wildcat4life for having that demo in his bag to try lol.

The fitters didn’t have all of the hybrids in just yet. I did try the max os in a 5 hybrid. I really wanted to hit the pro so I took a chance and ordered one. The pro shop is awesome and if I don’t like it they will take it back in. I ended up with a 4 hyb with the tensei blue. Same shaft as I hit in the OS. The OS was long 200 plus off the tee and 185 plus off the turf.

I am kind of surprised that there is not more discussion of the Rogue ST Pros here or across the net. I keep thinking that a set of irons that would fit in between the Apex and Apex Pros would be a great fit for a lot of mid single digit players.

I have had a set of Epic Forged irons since they were released in the summer of 2019. They are wonderful irons. I decided to trade them in for a set of Rogue Pros. I think that the Pros will give me a slightly better look at address and a better gapping in the wedges (although I played some great golf for me over the years with the Epic Forged and I am not sure that they ever got the love that they deserve). My set up will be 5 through AW, standard L/L/L, Catalyst 80 6.0 shafts, the same shafts I had been using in the Epic Forged.

Was able to get in and get fit today for some irons. Current iron specs - PXG 0311P with ProjectX LZ 6.0.

Warmed up in the hitting bay with my better half and was able to get loose prior to the fitting. Fitter had the overhead Launch monitor from the location I was at while also paired with a Trackman to ensure correct information.

PXG's: Hit 10 7-irons with a 119 ball speed, 178 carry, and 183 total distance. backspin of 5000 rpm average. Swing speed for 7-iron 90-95 most of the time.

I was first put into a Rogue Pro with a 105-gram x-stiff Rifle shaft. First look at the Rogue Pro and I knew I was in love. They look sexy, feel sexy, and are just plan sexy to the eye. The offset looks minimal and the top line is thinner than my current gamers. They are seriously confidence-inspiring. The clubhead itself is a bit smaller than my PXG's as well which for some reason made me feel even more confident in my strike.

First swing felt great! Second swing, even better. I noticed that it was a bit louder than my forged PXG's but nothing that turned me away. Sounded smooth, tight, but I could tell there was a small difference. (wife can't believe that I could hear that, but can't hear things at home...:ROFLMAO:.) Hit a total of 10 balls with this setup and looked at the numbers. Ball dispersion was all over the place, numbers weren't better than my current irons, and the shaft felt too light.

Next setup was True Temper Gold 132-gram X-stiff. The moment I completed a practice swing I said "I can feel where the head is at!" Hit 10 balls again. The dispersion pattern was tight-tight and the distance was pretty close to my current gamers. Increased backspin by almost 400 rpms which should help me hold the greens. These just felt better overall. And the numbers showed this setup was better for me. (See Photo below).

From there I tried the TCB's, the XForged CB, and the Apex Pros. Nothing produced numbers better, nor... felt as good.

What I did find out was the following:
1. Need X-Stiff and heavier shafts in my irons.
2. My "lie" was all wrong. In the PXG's I was fit to 2* Flat. He didn't use a lie board - just changed out the heads.
This time my fitter used a lie board and... I'm actually 2* Up and the data showed it without a doubt. In talking about that he asked me what my divots look like... I said "deep in the toe area"... and then it clicked... so whatever I do, I'll play this year at 2* up and see how things turn out.

Overall - I'm very very happy with the experience and data that I received. Now just to place the order for new irons!

IMG_8365 2.jpg

I am kind of surprised that there is not more discussion of the Rogue ST Pros here or across the net. I keep thinking that a set of irons that would fit in between the Apex and Apex Pros would be a great fit for a lot of mid single digit players.

I have had a set of Epic Forged irons since they were released in the summer of 2019. They are wonderful irons. I decided to trade them in for a set of Rogue Pros. I think that the Pros will give me a slightly better look at address and a better gapping in the wedges (although I played some great golf for me over the years with the Epic Forged and I am not sure that they ever got the love that they deserve). My set up will be 5 through AW, standard L/L/L, Catalyst 80 6.0 shafts, the same shafts I had been using in the Epic Forged.
Similar ponder train, haven’t pulled out the epics in years but will the Rogues be a suitable replacement? Looking forward to your thoughts and testing here!

Was able to get in and get fit today for some irons. Current iron specs - PXG 0311P with ProjectX LZ 6.0.

Warmed up in the hitting bay with my better half and was able to get loose prior to the fitting. Fitter had the overhead Launch monitor from the location I was at while also paired with a Trackman to ensure correct information.

PXG's: Hit 10 7-irons with a 119 ball speed, 178 carry, and 183 total distance. backspin of 5000 rpm average. Swing speed for 7-iron 90-95 most of the time.

I was first put into a Rogue Pro with a 105-gram x-stiff Rifle shaft. First look at the Rogue Pro and I knew I was in love. They look sexy, feel sexy, and are just plan sexy to the eye. The offset looks minimal and the top line is thinner than my current gamers. They are seriously confidence-inspiring. The clubhead itself is a bit smaller than my PXG's as well which for some reason made me feel even more confident in my strike.

First swing felt great! Second swing, even better. I noticed that it was a bit louder than my forged PXG's but nothing that turned me away. Sounded smooth, tight, but I could tell there was a small difference. (wife can't believe that I could hear that, but can't hear things at home...:ROFLMAO:.) Hit a total of 10 balls with this setup and looked at the numbers. Ball dispersion was all over the place, numbers weren't better than my current irons, and the shaft felt too light.

Next setup was True Temper Gold 132-gram X-stiff. The moment I completed a practice swing I said "I can feel where the head is at!" Hit 10 balls again. The dispersion pattern was tight-tight and the distance was pretty close to my current gamers. Increased backspin by almost 400 rpms which should help me hold the greens. These just felt better overall. And the numbers showed this setup was better for me. (See Photo below).

From there I tried the TCB's, the XForged CB, and the Apex Pros. Nothing produced numbers better, nor... felt as good.

What I did find out was the following:
1. Need X-Stiff and heavier shafts in my irons.
2. My "lie" was all wrong. In the PXG's I was fit to 2* Flat. He didn't use a lie board - just changed out the heads.
This time my fitter used a lie board and... I'm actually 2* Up and the data showed it without a doubt. In talking about that he asked me what my divots look like... I said "deep in the toe area"... and then it clicked... so whatever I do, I'll play this year at 2* up and see how things turn out.

Overall - I'm very very happy with the experience and data that I received. Now just to place the order for new irons!

View attachment 9062019
That dispersion is definitely better with the Rogue Pros. Thanks for sharing. Good luck with the order.

That dispersion is definitely better with the Rogue Pros. Thanks for sharing. Good luck with the order.
Yep. Very happy seeing the data. Couldn’t believe he put in the 132g shafts at first… but seems to be the right ones. Now I just need to push the button to order.

I'm really interested in the Rogue Pros, although I really like the Apex mixed combo set too. Gotta try and get fit this year to see which is best for me.

Had a chance to use the Rouge St pro again today during my round. Each shot i used that club was hit very well. The demo 7 iron is the exact set up i ordered so i tried to use it every chance i got. I used it 3 times today for par 5 lay ups with great success, it left me is prime range to wedge in for GIRs! The best shot was a par 3 158 into a good wind. The flag was back and a bit right. I drew the ball over the bunker landed softly and rolled out to the pic below. The birdie putt was made!

I LOVE the feel of this club. It is going to be a long wait till mine show up.
sewailo.jpg

In a big box today ans took a few swings with the pro irons and Max. If I was in the market for irons….

The pro felt really good to me. Seemed friendly than the Apex pro as described.

Had a chance to use the Rouge St pro again today during my round. Each shot i used that club was hit very well. The demo 7 iron is the exact set up i ordered so i tried to use it every chance i got. I used it 3 times today for par 5 lay ups with great success, it left me is prime range to wedge in for GIRs! The best shot was a par 3 158 into a good wind. The flag was back and a bit right. I drew the ball over the bunker landed softly and rolled out to the pic below. The birdie putt was made!

I LOVE the feel of this club. It is going to be a long wait till mine show up.
View attachment 9062433

I really want to try these irons!

They are so smooth! Go do it

Yep, I'm hoping these are in my future during a fitting. Gotta go with what the fitter recommends for sure. But a forgiving blade-ish iron with ball speed. Mmmmmmm

Just got the "pull the trigger?" email from my fitter this morning - and by the end of the day, I will probably go with the Rogue Pros.

Overall, I was really, really, really impressed with the total package of the Pros. First off, they look amazing. I actually thought that maybe I shouldn't be using them because they look so much like a blade - and my past experiences with blades are well.... not good. we talked about the tech inside them and how the microspheres are now higher up and it should give the whole package a better feel. He was right it did. They feel great! I think the addition of the 132g xStiff shaft helped big time with dispersion all around. As I said before I could feel the face, feel when I struck the ball well, and was able to work the ball later on when I was hitting a few extra shots. I even compared them to the Apex Pros as well as the TCB's. These just felt and worked better for me!

So - I'll probably be signing the check this afternoon and will wait however long to get them in.

Another cool note - the fitter is going to reach out to his rep to see if there could be a trade out on my driver shaft. My Ventus Black 6s is in very good condition and he was hoping his rep had an X in stock (with Velo of course). If he pulls through with that - that'd be amazing! IF not, I'll find something along the X lines.

Well hello gorgeous! Shots are all done of the 9 iron.B6594A3F-18B7-4638-8EE2-04CF968D120A.jpeg
34039A8D-6309-48A9-BEA1-0B16D5788CA4.jpeg
C89E4628-CC5F-458D-B140-98F179B22D37.jpeg

91D44DB7-CD56-4E3B-BCCF-B356E19526DA.jpeg
Kinda liking the double painted line. (Yes that is a Kirkland ball because it’s cold and I’m not looking in the dark through the woods for my CS goodnesses 🤣)

I haven’t studied this set of irons. How are they different than the Apex DCB in terms of performance?
707CE7B6-3B81-413B-B2F9-4176978E2485.jpeg54DC337F-4DA1-4574-BDC1-767A2C114A24.jpeg5ADA7AC3-80FA-4DAB-94A5-2DEF5A54D001.jpeg
8i shown, on the site it’s a 2* difference in loft with the Rogue Max being stronger. Top line seems thicker to from setup.

Just got the "pull the trigger?" email from my fitter this morning - and by the end of the day, I will probably go with the Rogue Pros.

Overall, I was really, really, really impressed with the total package of the Pros. First off, they look amazing. I actually thought that maybe I shouldn't be using them because they look so much like a blade - and my past experiences with blades are well.... not good. we talked about the tech inside them and how the microspheres are now higher up and it should give the whole package a better feel. He was right it did. They feel great! I think the addition of the 132g xStiff shaft helped big time with dispersion all around. As I said before I could feel the face, feel when I struck the ball well, and was able to work the ball later on when I was hitting a few extra shots. I even compared them to the Apex Pros as well as the TCB's. These just felt and worked better for me!

So - I'll probably be signing the check this afternoon and will wait however long to get them in.

Another cool note - the fitter is going to reach out to his rep to see if there could be a trade out on my driver shaft. My Ventus Black 6s is in very good condition and he was hoping his rep had an X in stock (with Velo of course). If he pulls through with that - that'd be amazing! IF not, I'll find something along the X lines.

I think you made a good choice. I really enjoyed hitting the ST Pros.

I agree.. i don't know if I've seen a better liking iron that is so forgiving. After 3 swings at the ECPC I was in love. I cannot wait to have these in hand and get them out on the course!!

Yep. Very happy seeing the data. Couldn’t believe he put in the 132g shafts at first… but seems to be the right ones. Now I just need to push the button to order.
Crazy how similar my experience was. I was fit into the Rogue Pros and went from lighter graphite to heavier steel. The configuration was so easy to hit with great numbers!!

Back