Callaway Super Hybrid

I've had this in the bag since mid December. 17* with a Tour Hzrdus Black 105x. It's pretty hard to mess it up. Off the deck, tee'd up, doesn't matter much. It's a weapon on those holes you just need to keep it play. The fact that's almost 3 wood long is a bonus. For those who struggle with the lefts with hybrids, get the right shaft in this and it will never be a concern. First hybrid I thought about putting on D. Surprisingly solid out of the rough, considering it's size.

Last edited:
After a quick rush-job range session yesterday I have a few thoughts.
Pros:
1) The feel is SOLID. It feels like a sledgehammer driving a thumbtack into a fresh 2x4.
2) It looks awesome. Big without being too big IMO, and a nice shape. None of that high-toe nonsense.
3) The stock Tensei Pro Orange is a big boy shaft. I have to give it everything I've got to feel that thing whip through the zone.
4) Ball go high and straight.

Cons:
1) I'm not a fan of the stock grip. Get that align thing out of here. Easy fix.
2) It didn't outperform my Big Bertha 3H 18* as much as I was expecting, based on carry distance. This is more of a testament to how great the Bertha hybrids are I think.
3) I wish there was a way to flatten the lie angle a little bit. It looks toe high to me at address.

If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to try answer them.

Has anyone hit the 23*? Any thoughts on it at address? Distances differences you’re seeing compared to a 4H?

Officially cancelling my order and moving on. 3/30 is just too crazy of an extended time to wait.

Unfortunately the maiden voyage today did not go well. I can't seem to find the center of the face with this thing at all, and it just feels 'off' to me for some reason. My frustrations boiled over on hole #7 when I hit a low pull that ricochet off the cart path, flew OB, and hit a house. Making double bogey on the course's easiest par 5 was not cool.

Going to try a re-shaft and then give it another go.

Unfortunately the maiden voyage today did not go well. I can't seem to find the center of the face with this thing at all, and it just feels 'off' to me for some reason. My frustrations boiled over on hole #7 when I hit a low pull that ricochet off the cart path, flew OB, and hit a house. Making double bogey on the course's easiest par 5 was not cool.

Hitting houses does not usually cement a club in one’s bag. ;)

I put the AD DI 85 Hy S in the 17 and 23 and get a pretty consistent fade or straight flight, the 20 still has the stock tensi and I hooked it twice yesterday. Going to try the KBS proto hybrid shaft in that one.

that counterbalance isn't for everybody

Officially cancelling my order and moving on. 3/30 is just too crazy of an extended time to wait.
Update to this and why Cally CS is awesome, I emailed CS to cancel and was refunded in 5 minutes.

I put the AD DI 85 Hy S in the 17 and 23 and get a pretty consistent fade or straight flight, the 20 still has the stock tensi and I hooked it twice yesterday. Going to try the KBS proto hybrid shaft in that one.
I play DI 85 Hy S in my other hybrids. Going to track one down for the SH and try again.

I've got to get my hands on one of the 23* clubs and give it a go. I need more altitude from my hybrid.

You guys are getting great results out of this, I’d really like to give it a hit and see. How do you find the launch? I’ve hit a few 17-19 hybrids and struggled to get the kind of high flight that others are getting. Maybe I’m not a strong enough swinger to really make the most of them.

I play DI 85 Hy S in my other hybrids. Going to track one down for the SH and try again.
Ordered a GD AD DI 85H S from Peoples Golf for the 20* best price around and comes tipped and gripped with free shipping.

Has anyone hit the 23*? Any thoughts on it at address? Distances differences you’re seeing compared to a 4H?

I have the 23*. it's a little strange to put something with that large of a footprint behind the ball when it's presenting so much loft. but with some reps, the confidence builds and you forget all about it. I think it goes a bit further than my last 4h. but my sample size is too small to say definitively yet.

I have the 23*. it's a little strange to put something with that large of a footprint behind the ball when it's presenting so much loft. but with some reps, the confidence builds and you forget all about it. I think it goes a bit further than my last 4h. but my sample size is too small to say definitively yet.
@McLovin - How does the distance for the 23° Super Hybrid compare with your 5 wood?

Last edited:
You guys are getting great results out of this, I’d really like to give it a hit and see. How do you find the launch? I’ve hit a few 17-19 hybrids and struggled to get the kind of high flight that others are getting. Maybe I’m not a strong enough swinger to really make the most of them.

I hit this at a driving range over the weekend. They only had it in the Tensei Orange regular. I was surprised on how high the flight was. It was much higher then Sim max rescue.

@McLovin - How does the distance for the 23° Super Hybrid compare with your 5 wood?

i'm not a very good fairway wood player. spin and launch aren't typically high enough to get out of the club what I need to.

in my last round, there is one strike with the 5w that I remember thinking I hit pretty well, but distance was only 191 per arccos. maybe it was into the wind, maybe i didn't hit it as well as i thought, maybe i suck, who knows.

I hit 4h once that round as well, it was out of the rough iirc and it hit a mound between two bunkers and kicked forward. I suspect it caught a slope which aided distance, but per arccos that 4h ended up 197.

my expectation is to hit 5w 220-230. and to hit 4h 205-215.

as I track my stats with arccos this year, we'll see how it shakes out.

I hit this at a driving range over the weekend. They only had it in the Tensei Orange regular. I was surprised on how high the flight was. It was much higher then Sim max rescue.
Awesome, thanks for the reply. It may well be all in the shaft in that case, I’ve only ever hit them in the demo stock shafts. Will maybe give them another whirl at some point.

Is a 17° SH a legit 3 wood replacement?

I do not play any woods currently. I don't expect to hit greens from 230+ so I lay up if I need or have no problem hitting my 17° PXG hybrid but it's a 220 club for me. My 19° is a 210 club.

I was thinking of getting an old M2 3 wood to really start challenging these par 5s but have always preferred a hybrid to a wood. I wonder if this 17° SH can be that club? I need to hit it but was curious if it's carrying as far as y'all 3 woods but with less roll out.

I ordered the 17* from Callaway and was waiting impatiently for it to come off of back order. I stopped at Golf Galaxy today and they had four in stock; one 17* and three 20*'s. The 17* is now in the bag and the order from Callaway is cancelled. It looks like the forecast is pretty good for this weekend so should be able to try it out.

Is a 17° SH a legit 3 wood replacement?

I do not play any woods currently. I don't expect to hit greens from 230+ so I lay up if I need or have no problem hitting my 17° PXG hybrid but it's a 220 club for me. My 19° is a 210 club.

I was thinking of getting an old M2 3 wood to really start challenging these par 5s but have always preferred a hybrid to a wood. I wonder if this 17° SH can be that club? I need to hit it but was curious if it's carrying as far as y'all 3 woods but with less roll out.

Pretty close for me. Fly’s a little higher and much less roll out. But the carry is only about 10 yards or so less.

Today a playing partner had in his bag a Super Hybrid 20* and gave me my first look at the club. My first impression is that it has a massive size head. So, from less than ideal lies I don't think the Super Hybrid will be as useful as more traditional size hybrid head.
The impact sound he was getting from the club sounded good , which surprised me because I had assumed that a titanium head hybrid would have a loud titanium sound similar to ti fairways and drivers.
His distance with the 20* Super Hybrid seemed to be about the same as the other Callaway hybrids he has played. He is an "all-Callaway-bag" and usually is swinging new models as they become available.
He plays a Callaway 3-wood off some tee boxes and I would have liked to see what he could do playing a Super Hybrid 17* off the tee , but today he had only the 20* model.

Update:
This club is just a absolute hammer. Now that I have changed the setting to D I’m getting way more consistently (still can’t make it miss left, which is strange for me).

On Sunday, I was 230 yards out on the par 5 10th... The wind was helping a bit, so I decided to pull the Super Hybrid. I put a good move on it and hit this penetrating fast riser that baby cut. The ball mark was even with the pin and it released 20ft pass the hole... 2 putt birdie... Love this club.

Update:
This club is just a absolute hammer. Now that I have changed the setting to D I’m getting way more consistently (still can’t make it miss left, which is strange for me).

On Sunday, I was 230 yards out on the par 5 10th... The wind was helping a bit, so I decided to pull the Super Hybrid. I put a good move on it and hit this penetrating fast riser that baby cut. The ball mark was even with the pin and it released 20ft pass the hole... 2 putt birdie... Love this club.
How does the Super Hybrid stack up against your 3W distance-wise?

How does the Super Hybrid stack up against your 3W distance-wise?
I have a Rogue SZ 3W+ (13.5 degree), 230-240 is what I can get with a good swing.

Back