Callaway Tour Grind MD2 Wedge Review

I just got mine last week and so far these are great. Best wedges since the original X Forged. the straight leading edge and slightly higher, rounded toe just fit my eye perfectly. Swapping out the 56/60 for a 54/58 this year. I played the 54/58 combo for a long time and decided to switch it up at the end of last year, but the 60 and I just have never gotten along. Don't understand it, but that 2* in the 58 makes a huge difference for me.

20140730_172123_zps86f39a0e.jpg

You are not alone...I can't hit a 60 for the life of me, but a 58 and I get along fine.

Well it didn't take me long to get these dialed in. Hit a few on the range with the 52 to warm up before the round but I didnt even get to dial my distances in. Distances were super easy to dial in and I was off any running. Really loved how they performed in the short game. love the flatter leading edge with the toe relief.

Exactly what I expected to hear.

These are what the first iteration should have been IMO.

Just need to figure out what to do with the extra spot in my bag now. MD2 u grind 60 bent to 61 or leave the Apex Pro AW in the bag (51) and use it for full shots and save the Tour Grind 52 for inside of 100 and shots that don't need to come in as high around the greens.

I have gone from an all Ping bag for the last several years to an all Callaway bag (except for the putter) and the MD2 Tour Grind in Slate, 54 and 58, were the last two pieces I needed to do that. Just picked them up this afternoon and am anxious to get out the course to practice with them over the weekend. Did I read somewhere that the Slate version will rust over time, compensating for the wearing of the grooves?

I have gone from an all Ping bag for the last several years to an all Callaway bag (except for the putter) and the MD2 Tour Grind in Slate, 54 and 58, were the last two pieces I needed to do that. Just picked them up this afternoon and am anxious to get out the course to practice with them over the weekend. Did I read somewhere that the Slate version will rust over time, compensating for the wearing of the grooves?

The slate will indeed rust, but rust adding spin is an old wives tale, it makes no difference and the numbers show us that.

That said, the MD2's are "pre-roughed" with the etching to play like a broken in wedge from the start and that etching simply wears as they are played and surface roughness from use is added.

Be sure to let us know what you think when you get them out!

Went to the range last night and hit a large bucket with my 56* wedge. Felt great but definitely need more practice to dial it in.

Nabbed a like new 58.9 T-grind last night for a song. Smoke Chrome finish of course, its beautiful. Once it arrives its getting CTL'd, it excites me.

Though Fupy has me thinking about Tour V wedge shafts now, damn him.

I love these wedges. The shape and sole is just SO X-Forged, and I adore that, still my favorite wedges ever.

My 58 will need a 54 soon, its going to have to happen.

I love these wedges. The shape and sole is just SO X-Forged, and I adore that, still my favorite wedges ever.

My 58 will need a 54 soon, its going to have to happen.

It shows how personal wedges are. This one and me never gelled. I have tried on 3 separate occasions to change that and the results have been the same. While there is no doubt, they are solid, they just dont set up for me as well as a few others.

It shows how personal wedges are. This one and me never gelled. I have tried on 3 separate occasions to change that and the results have been the same. While there is no doubt, they are solid, they just dont set up for me as well as a few others.

Yep, it really does. Wedges might be just as personal as the putter. I honestly think the grind (C/K/whatever other name we want to put on it) with the relief is comforting to me, but the flat leading edge does it most. I seem to just become a mental midget when I look down at a rounded leading edge...which is insanity when I think about it.

Finally got to really put my 58 through its paces. I love it.

I'm honestly leaning at going 54 as well instead of Apex SW.

These things are so so good man! I absolutely love mine.

So, I was just noticing I can get 50 each on a trade in for my old(er) MD2 setup.
Makes the upgrade more palatable.

I really like to go high though, and am torn betwixt the 58 and 60. I don't need to go 60 if I can do what I've heard the 58 can do by laying it open a bit. I just like my current 60 SO much. But these are just screaming at me.

So, I was just noticing I can get 50 each on a trade in for my old(er) MD2 setup.
Makes the upgrade more palatable.

I really like to go high though, and am torn betwixt the 58 and 60. I don't need to go 60 if I can do what I've heard the 58 can do by laying it open a bit. I just like my current 60 SO much. But these are just screaming at me.

The grind is conducive to laying the face open with the heel relief for sure.

Played 5 holes after work today, 85 yards for third shot on par 5 18th, stuck it to 3 feet and rolled in the birdie putt. Really liking this tour grind.

Anybody got a pic of a rusted one? Curious as to the look

I've got a Slade one and it just started rusting. Not much to see yet

Anybody got a pic of a rusted one? Curious as to the look

76b169439289862acee586fcff10f228.jpg

I just sold these to Mike G. They were rusting nicely after only a handful of rounds.

This is what mine looks like. The real treat is the look of the face. From the 4th groove down it's rather raw and looks awesome while the rest is rusted a little without glare.

This is what mine looks like. The real treat is the look of the face. From the 4th groove down it's rather raw and looks awesome while the rest is rusted a little without glare.

Thanks. I've never had a raw wedge so I'm debating

Thanks. I've never had a raw wedge so I'm debating

Maybe raw isn't the right word for this slate finish. On that area of contact all of the finish is just gone. It's really cool to look at, almost like "Hey, you can do this!"

Got slate 54/58 to replace my JAWs wedges. I bought them from all the recommendations on here and getting to use them in a rental set when I played in Palm Springs last month. Great clubs and glad I made the switch. Like have always done the slate in callaway wedges. Rusting nicely. :)

Glad you're enjoying them dude!

I really can't explain it, but I hit the 54 and 58 MD2 Tour Grinds longer (about 10 yards) with more spin than any other 54/58 wedges I have ever owned to include Vokey, Ping and other Callaway.

Back