Callaway XR Driver Review Thread

How does the stock Project X LZ shaft compare to the Aldila Rogue 60 in the XR head?

How does the stock Project X LZ shaft compare to the Aldila Rogue 60 in the XR head?

I have both and like the LZ a bit more. Its a different feel, due to LZ technology where you feel the shaft loading and unloading through the "loading zone (LZ)".

I have both and like the LZ a bit more. Its a different feel, due to LZ technology where you feel the shaft loading and unloading through the "loading zone (LZ)".

What was the biggest difference between the two shafts and what made you favor one over the other. How does the trajectory/spin compare?

What was the biggest difference between the two shafts and what made you favor one over the other. How does the trajectory/spin compare?

In this head the spin was similar for me, although flight was about 1* launch higher with the LZ. As explained, I favored the LZ because of the way the loading zone feels (what LZ stands for). Incredibly unique.

In this head the spin was similar for me, although flight was about 1* launch higher with the LZ. As explained, I favored the LZ because of the way the loading zone feels (what LZ stands for). Incredibly unique.

The LZ really isn't like any other shaft I've ever hit, I could totally see other manufacturers trying to find a way to copy it.

Thanks for that. Apologies. I misread your post first time.
I'll looking forward to putting this baby through it's paces.

Looking forward to your feedback brother.

Now that our national conference is over, I plan to get some more reps in with the XR in the coming weeks. After taking it out last weekend I had some great success, if only hampered because the course I played required a lot of irons and hybrids from the tee. If anyone is looking for something specific in regards to feedback, let me know and I will make sure to address it during my round later this week.

I'm going to join in this party with you very soon Fupy.

Had a lunch date with the XR today and left the range with mixed feelings. I hit some really good shots and some really poor ones. It was all over the map. I even skied one and the flat black paint held up surprisingly well. I’m sure most of it is because my swing right now. It was my second time out since end of January. Also, I’m operating on a lack of sleep recently because of a sick little one at home. My take-away from the sessions are the following;

This club is loud. I had my Supertri and my SLDR with me today. The XR is definitely louder. I didn’t notice it at first because I started with the XR, but when I hit the SLDR it was definitely a much more muted sound.

I’m having mixed feelings about the shaft. It feels really smooth, which is good, but feel doesn’t always translate in performance. I put my Aldila Rouge Silver shaft from my FW in the XR today and it felt much boardier in comparison, it also looked ridiculous because it was probably playing at a length of about 42”. With the Rogue, I immediately saw more consistency, but it felt harsh. I also started to hit a few draws which is my typical ball flight for me. The consistency I’m sure is due to the shaft length, the draw I’m not sure. I did feel like I was losing distance with this shaft though in comparison to the LZ. I then switched back the LZ and focused on a shorter swing with a smoother transition. I also tried to keep my right elbow closer to my body. This is when I started to see just what the XR/LZ could do. I hit probably 4-5 of my best shots of the day just mid to high penetrating strait shots that just seemed to carry forever. This was very short lived though. After that, it all started to go downhill again. I’m sure I was getting tired or trying to “improve” on what I was seeing but it was back to seeing fades to slices with some thins and pop ups mixed in. My next outing will focus on just swinging within myself and keeping it smooth. It may be built for speed, but swinging hard is probably not how you achieve it. Which I guess is true for all drivers.

Had a lunch date with the XR today and left the range with mixed feelings. I hit some really good shots and some really poor ones. It was all over the map. I even skied one and the flat black paint held up surprisingly well. I’m sure most of it is because my swing right now. It was my second time out since end of January. Also, I’m operating on a lack of sleep recently because of a sick little one at home. My take-away from the sessions are the following;

This club is loud. I had my Supertri and my SLDR with me today. The XR is definitely louder. I didn’t notice it at first because I started with the XR, but when I hit the SLDR it was definitely a much more muted sound.

I’m having mixed feelings about the shaft. It feels really smooth, which is good, but feel doesn’t always translate in performance. I put my Aldila Rouge Silver shaft from my FW in the XR today and it felt much boardier in comparison, it also looked ridiculous because it was probably playing at a length of about 42”. With the Rogue, I immediately saw more consistency, but it felt harsh. I also started to hit a few draws which is my typical ball flight for me. The consistency I’m sure is due to the shaft length, the draw I’m not sure. I did feel like I was losing distance with this shaft though in comparison to the LZ. I then switched back the LZ and focused on a shorter swing with a smoother transition. I also tried to keep my right elbow closer to my body. This is when I started to see just what the XR/LZ could do. I hit probably 4-5 of my best shots of the day just mid to high penetrating strait shots that just seemed to carry forever. This was very short lived though. After that, it all started to go downhill again. I’m sure I was getting tired or trying to “improve” on what I was seeing but it was back to seeing fades to slices with some thins and pop ups mixed in. My next outing will focus on just swinging within myself and keeping it smooth. It may be built for speed, but swinging hard is probably not how you achieve it. Which I guess is true for all drivers.

Dude, I know the feeling. I will be honest I crapped on the Handcrafted for feeling like a turd when I had the chance to hit it last year so now I am eating crow. I always thought I was best with a boardy shaft, but spending some real time with the LZ, I know its a feel I am going to get addicted to. I consider myself to be a good player and driver is my strength/weakness. I want the ball to explode and I think the feel of the LZ will help that once I can settle in to it and make it work. It's going to provide an advantage I think and I am keeping my mind open to seeing how it's going to help me gain some consistency while also giving the feel that all my shots are going to generate as much ball speed as I need.

Two thoughts.

1 - Glad I've got company in the 'wow they unlocked the sound for this one' boat
2 - I'm enjoying the revelation towards LZ.

I'll be honest, I hate the sound of the Alphas. I like loud noises and this one is perfect without getting into the Jesse Ortiz territory.

XR plus LZ was a spinning machine for me :(
Hoping to try XR with different shaft and LZ in my 815.

Two thoughts.

1 - Glad I've got company in the 'wow they unlocked the sound for this one' boat

XR plus LZ was a spinning machine for me :(
Hoping to try XR with different shaft and LZ in my 815.

When you say spinning machine, do you have numbers or just going off ball flight?

Two thoughts.

Yeah the loading zone is like an addiction. Its the most unique feeling shaft possibly ever created. Once you get used to it, trying to use something else is just nearly impossible.

When you say spinning machine, do you have numbers or just going off ball flight?
Monitor numbers. Average was 3800 backspin.

Monitor numbers. Average was 3800 backspin.
What was the LA? Ball speed?

Oh, I guess I'll join in here with the feedback on this one...
5caa399cddfe9f7885f4613ae500a1f0.jpg

Swing speed average 104. Ball speed average 142. Back spin 3800 carry distance 260.
That was average of 10 swings after I was warmed up.
settings were same as my 815 10.5 and N

Jman, i am really interested in your comparison between the xr and the 815.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LA was 13

So looking forward to mine coming! :)

It surprises me that yours isn't there yet. Maybe someone out there doesn't like you?
I think I saw it's in Canada right now? Hahaha!! It wanted to travel North America first I guess!

Swing speed average 104. Ball speed average 142. Back spin 3800 carry distance 260.
That was average of 10 swings after I was warmed up.
settings were same as my 815 10.5 and N

LA was 13

Believe it or not, that spin for that LA and ball speed isn't too bad. Spin isn't as bad of a thing as its been made out to be by some marketing, its all situational to the swing.

As for the two heads, this is def the higher spinner of those two, that's not surprising.

Back