Callaway XR Pro Irons Preview Thread

Can't wait to give these a go this week. I know these will be perfect for me.

Just for giggles today I played my old X2 HOT 5-PW irons. Just to confirm my XR Pro Irons impression.

0.5 to 1 club longer on well struck shots. 2 clubs longer on poorly stuck ones.

The amount of punishment for poor contact with the X2 HOT'S just cannot be ignored. So if I clubed up to compensate for a poor strike I was just past the greens on the fringe. But if I pulled the right club for a particular distance and struck the ball slightly off I was short in a the hazard.

When I play the XRP'S 4-AW I just have to check the distance and pull the trigger. I'm sure no matter what shot I chose to play I will be pin high. In other words the forgiveness of the XRP'S makes my dispersion pattern tighter than I have ever deserved, given my handicap.

I have missed so few green in the past few months that my short game has suffered and after being put to the test today failed miserably.

Anyone at callaway reading this post. Please give me a club with the smooth buttery feel and looks of a forged blade, and the forgiveness of a XRP and you have a clear winning.

The back log of orders will make your sales department sizzle and the market department proud.

The high quality engineers will know that they made magic in a bottle and the customers will be signing your praises like never before.

So i finally got my chance to hit these for the first time a few days ago and I was very impressed. No data to share and prior to hitting them I hadn't swung a club in almost two months. All that aside I got into a nice groove with these rather quickly. Sound and feel are definitely different, but not in a bad way i actually like the sound. Ball rockets off the face, if i were in the iron market these would be top of the list.

These irons are scary good. They are so forgiving it is ridiculous. I am honestly having a hard time because they go so far, even on mishits. Played nine tonight. One shot I was prob 145 out in the sand and stuck a 9 iron to 10 feet. Another shot I hit a towering draw with my 8 iron 165 yards to an uphill pin. Opening tee shot was a 240 yard 4 iron (granted, it is a downhill shot). These are big distances for me.

So I can get a pretty good deal on an xr pro AW on CPO right now. Wondering if I might pick up a couple yards over my Apex AW. Anyone that has played both that could provide some feedback?

So I can get a pretty good deal on an xr pro AW on CPO right now. Wondering if I might pick up a couple yards over my Apex AW. Anyone that has played both that could provide some feedback?
AW 110 to 120 yard club

AW 110 to 120 yard club
And 130 to 140 for me.

What matters most though is it fits right online under the PW with no problem.

I think MAYBE five yards on the button here and there, but a consistent 5 to 7 when away from center face. The better the swing, the smaller the gap.

Used these today at the Savannah Invitational, these irons were really really good. Haven't found out the distances on them yet though, which is kind of frustrating but I'll learn that over time. I think today on my own ball I was on 12 greens, three right on the collar close enough to putt from where they spun off. That's kind of tough to beat IMO

These irons are on my mind permanently. My apex pros are good but, come on, if you've swung these you'll understand, XR pros just appeal to the eye so well and entice me to swing at the pin. Who cares if it's tucked behind a bunker!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looked through this thread so if I missed it I'm sorry. Has anyone upgraded to these from the Xhot Pros? Think I will probably pull the trigger when CPO has their Black Friday sales. Was there a noticeable difference compared to the Xhot pros? These (XR pros) were great to hit in the store but i love my Xhot pros would be really hard to switch.

Used these today at the Savannah Invitational, these irons were really really good. Haven't found out the distances on them yet though, which is kind of frustrating but I'll learn that over time. I think today on my own ball I was on 12 greens, three right on the collar close enough to putt from where they spun off. That's kind of tough to beat IMO
Told you.

Looked through this thread so if I missed it I'm sorry. Has anyone upgraded to these from the Xhot Pros? Think I will probably pull the trigger when CPO has their Black Friday sales. Was there a noticeable difference compared to the Xhot pros? These (XR pros) were great to hit in the store but i love my Xhot pros would be really hard to switch.

Significantly better. Significantly.

Longer, higher launching, and much much much better ball speed retention on misses.

Told you.

Significantly better. Significantly.

They're a little shorter than my prior irons, but then they're suddenly not so I'm scratching my head still. Just need some extra course time when it's empty so I can drop a few balls and figure them out. They do launch higher though, and I'm getting spin and that worries me.

They're a little shorter than my prior irons, but then they're suddenly not so I'm scratching my head still. Just need some extra course time when it's empty so I can drop a few balls and figure them out. They do launch higher though, and I'm getting spin and that worries me.
Blah blah.

I told you, time.

I think MAYBE five yards on the button here and there, but a consistent 5 to 7 when away from center face. The better the swing, the smaller the gap.

screw it. i just picked one up off CPO for $75 shipped with tour v shaft in good condition. would love to see 5-7 more yards, thanks for the info!

I've put two different shafts in these and played 5 rounds, as well as hitting hundreds of balls and just can't get comfortable with them. Me thinks that my time with these is over. Really decent club, and I was enamored with them at first. But the more I play them, the more I'm not finding any sort of comfort with them.

I've put two different shafts in these and played 5 rounds, as well as hitting hundreds of balls and just can't get comfortable with them. Me thinks that my time with these is over. Really decent club, and I was enamored with them at first. But the more I play them, the more I'm not finding any sort of comfort with them.

By chance, what is your major hiccup with these?

They aren't for everyone, buddy. Slightly different sound, rounded profile but still a totally reasonable package.

I say go back to what works and enjoy the comfort there.

you know what buddy, all the times that I have hit O'Carroll's or demoed I have thought the same thing. I like a lot about them, but they just are just missing something to me.

you know what buddy, all the times that I have hit O'Carroll's or demoed I have thought the same thing. I like a lot about them, but they just are just missing something to me.

It stinks because I really want to like them. They look amazing.

I knew there was something about you...

Got my AW from CPO yesterday. Haven't hit it but the size, shape, set up of the club is exactly what I wanted. Hopefully performance is there for me. Not bad for "good" condition either:
4c0722ae918115888760856b81ed27f7.jpg

Got my AW from CPO yesterday. Haven't hit it but the size, shape, set up of the club is exactly what I wanted. Hopefully performance is there for me. Not bad for "good" condition either:
4c0722ae918115888760856b81ed27f7.jpg
I use mine every round. Deadly inside 100 yard to about 120. Chipping pitching perfecto

Drive chip and putt.

Back